The Accurate Reloading Forums
Help, I just inherited a ton of shotshell stuff

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/456108434

27 February 2006, 04:06
dogcat
Help, I just inherited a ton of shotshell stuff
I have just inherited a bunch of shotgun shell reloading "stuff".

I have a Mec 600 loader for 12 guage shells, about 4000 hulls of all different types, some various powders and wads (AA and Remington).

It has been about 25 years since I reloaded. Has anything really changed a lot - AA are still the prefered hull, stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up, Ponsness Warren still the best shotshell reloader-

Any advice on what to do with this mess is appreicated.
27 February 2006, 05:37
Quarter Round
Sort the hulls and discard any junkers. Clean what you have left. How old is the powder and does it smell ok. Yes, quiet a few changes and you will want to verify loads. AA hulls are still good hulls.
27 February 2006, 19:36
Dutch
AA are still the prefered hull. No. Remington STS/ Nitros are 12 12 and 20 ga.

Stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up: pretty much, though I run AA's, STS's and Gun Clubs through at the same settings, and Fiocchi's and Gold Medals at another.

Ponsness Warren still the best shotshell reloader- No, Spolar is the Caddillac of the day.

The biggest change is the price of inexpensive shotshells, which makes reloading a labor of love, not savings, unless you load 28's or 410's. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.
27 February 2006, 20:50
dogcat
Dutch,
Thanks. As I have been studying this, the economics are becoming apparent.
14 March 2006, 07:46
LE270
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:

Stick to one type of hull to minimize changes to the reloader set up: pretty much, though I run AA's, STS's and Gun Clubs through at the same settings, and Fiocchi's and Gold Medals at another.

I agree with that advice.

I use AA wads in 12 ga for both Winchester and Remington hulls, and I use the same settings (primer, powder, wad, shot amount) interchangeably for both. I do tend to use Winchester primers in the Winchester hulls and Remington in the Remington hulls, but even that isn't necessary -- you can use Winchester primers for both.

Federal 12 ga. hulls do require a different wad -- one specifically made for Federal hulls -- in order to get a good crimp.

In smaller gauges -- 20, 28, 410 -- I've found that the best results come from using the wad of the manufacturer of the hull for that given hull.

I load primarily for skeet, so I'm loading for 1200 f.p.s. in 20, 28, and 410. In 12 ga I usually load 1 oz. of shot using WAA12SL wads -- I almost always use the Claybuster clones -- to a velocity of about 1145 f.p.s. That's all you need for skeet.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"