The Accurate Reloading Forums
the right powder?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/971103014/m/1421077141

04 October 2010, 23:06
kacole
the right powder?
i'am gonna load some 2 3/4 shells 1 1/4 shot and 3 3/4 dram of powder. what kind of powder do i need to use to make it as powerful as i can get. this is what i was told i needed to use. but this is all new to me so if i'am wrong let me know. i plan to use #4 shot. it's to shoot crows that fly high.
05 October 2010, 00:08
Jon
The type and amount of powder needed will depend on the gauge of the gun, brand of hull being reloaded, and type of wad used. You need to locate a source of load tables and find recipes that match the components you have. Then the powder choice will be obvious.
05 October 2010, 00:13
mousegun1
we would need a lot more info- what brand/ type hull- what wad you are using to even start- go to Hodgdens or Alliants web site and check their data
07 October 2010, 01:24
Scout Master 54
It sounds like you are just getting started at this. I highly recomend you pick up a copy of Lyman's 5th Edition Shotgun Shell Reloading book and read the How to section. It will also be filled with the loading data you are asking about. Once you have given that a good read and have checked out the data I think you'll be well on your way. You will also want to pick up a good scale to verify your drops and keep things safe. Of course if you have any questions after reading Lyman's 5th there are good people here that can help with most any question.

Scoutmaster
07 October 2010, 03:29
bluedot
I would highly recommend reconsidering the 3 3/4 dram load, a lower velocity will generally pattern better and will subject you to MUCH less recoil. I'd look very closely at duplicating the "pigeon" loads from the old days of live pigeon shoots, they were generally 1 1/4 oz of hard/magnum #6 shot at about 1250 fps. Very good loads, patterned well and hold there patterns at long range.

3-7-77