The Accurate Reloading Forums
First repair for the GLK350.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9671006931/m/6181084242

05 June 2018, 20:15
custombolt
First repair for the GLK350.
I can't really complain a bit that my 2009 GLK350 that I had ordered new just had its' first repair at 83,000 miles. I checked the "check engine light" code with my MBII plug in unit and it listed some cam position errors. I think maybe 1200 & 1209. After a bit of research I determined that either cam gear was worn or the timing chain had some wear. I called the service desk where I bought it and within 5 days they brought me a loaner right to my office 45 minutes away and left with my car. After quoting me over the phone the following morning with a diagnosis of a stretched timing chain, I asked if there was any assistance on the repair from MB considering it was a bit early for a timing chain to have that much wear. They called within an hour and quoted me $1,700 minus $500 in MB assistance. Glad it wasn't the crank gear. Some of those were too soft and that is a $6,000 repair.
Total for the new chain replacement ..... $1200. Not bad. But, they charged me plenty for non-MB generic new rear brakes and rotors, $500. No problem. I think I lucked out.
Now that place is a class act.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
06 June 2018, 22:43
Opus1
No question that Merc has great service. But I am a little surprised a cam gear needs replacement at 85K...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.
07 June 2018, 03:05
custombolt
Sounded way early for the main chain drive gear. That's why I asked if any assistance from MB was available.
As for the chain itself, I may be partially responsible for the pre-mature chain wear because my office is only 1 mile from my house and I didn't always warm it up before I drove it in winter.

Just had the original brake pads and rotors replaced. Should be smooth sailing for a while now.
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
No question that Merc has great service. But I am a little surprised a cam gear needs replacement at 85K...

07 June 2018, 03:06
custombolt
Bigger Benz dealers are best I've found. Smaller ones, not so hot. We are right in the middle of two larger dealers.

08 June 2018, 06:23
richj
If you change the letters around and break the center piece out of the 3 you can spell GLOCK

08 June 2018, 22:38
custombolt
Slick.

quote:
Originally posted by richj:
If you change the letters around and break the center piece out of the 3 you can spell GLOCK

13 June 2018, 01:15
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Sounded way early for the main chain drive gear. That's why I asked if any assistance from MB was available.
As for the chain itself, I may be partially responsible for the pre-mature chain wear because my office is only 1 mile from my house and I didn't always warm it up before I drove it in winter.

Just had the original brake pads and rotors replaced. Should be smooth sailing for a while now.
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:

Warm up?? Maybe in the old days.Crank it up and drive it at a reduced speed for a mile.
Check that with your MB dealer or your service manual.
13 June 2018, 23:58
custombolt
No or little warm-up seems to be the census now.
I'll just let it warm up until the rpm's drop below 1,000. Takes less than a minute.

14 June 2018, 00:26
custombolt
Hey Butch. Do you work on late model water-cooled Porsche's down there? They seem to be much more dependable than the air-cooled ones. What do you think of them?

14 June 2018, 01:11
butchlambert
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Hey Butch. Do you work on late model water-cooled Porsche's down there? They seem to be much more dependable than the air-cooled ones. What do you think of them?

Doing no European cars any more. Domestic and Asian only now.
18 June 2018, 03:09
mete
M-B has had it's ups and downs like all the rest. Coming into the huge American market is a problem .M-B trained mechanics is another when you find them to be groups like Turks ! My father always drove them even the one that turned out to be a big problem So many that he got a letter of appology from M-B !!
18 June 2018, 21:27
custombolt
mete:

I am with you on spotty reliability on MB.
But, they really turned out to be quite reliable by the 2008-2009 and forward period.
Smaller engine cars always felt less refined. 3.5 and larger engines including V-8's always were the best of the lot.
Most issues were limited to cruise control, window regulators and some actuators. Any electronics that aren't used frequently should be cycled once a month. Otherwise they eventually fail.

My Wifes SLK300 had tranny issues (and a moldy smell coming from the A/C vents which I figured out on my own) so we traded it. It would stick in second gear (auto) once or twice a year. It had no other problems. It had 60,000 miles.

1987 560SL
1993 E300
1999 C300
2006 SLK300
2008 C350 4matic
2010 GLK350 4matic -current
2012 C250 coupe
2013 C350 coupe 4matic - distronic -current