The Accurate Reloading Forums
Yet another M98 question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/54410614

08 January 2002, 15:03
DavidReed
Yet another M98 question
I have a line on a couple of Persian Mauser actions. The 98/29 designation. From My research, I gather that these rifles never saw wartime use and as a result most are still in excellent condition. Unfortunately Kuhnhausen's book makes no reference to the Persian mauser and Ludwig Olsen's, Mauser Bolt Rifles, has more historical than technical information. My question(s) follows. Is the Persian 98/29 a standard length Mauser or is it an intermediate length action? And are these actions heat treated alloy or pack-hardened on the internal surfaces only. Also, I have been told that the 98/29 is a carbon copy of the VZ-24. Again this is somthing I have yet been unable to verify. Any information is greatly appreciated.

David Schnabel

08 January 2002, 16:01
wildcat junkie
If it's a "standard length", the action screws will be on 7 7/8" centers, an "intermediate length will be 1/4" shorter. I take it that it is a "large ring". An "intermediate" large ring would be nice for a WSM type chambering. From what I've heard, all Mausers were "pack hardened" to some extent, and therein was the srength (from the ductile core)which would give instead of break if something went wrong?
08 January 2002, 16:25
tsturm
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
I have a line on a couple of Persian Mauser actions. The 98/29 designation. From My research, I gather that these rifles never saw wartime use and as a result most are still in excellent condition. Unfortunately Kuhnhausen's book makes no reference to the Persian mauser and Ludwig Olsen's, Mauser Bolt Rifles, has more historical than technical information. My question(s) follows. Is the Persian 98/29 a standard length Mauser or is it an intermediate length action? And are these actions heat treated alloy or pack-hardened on the internal surfaces only. Also, I have been told that the 98/29 is a carbon copy of the VZ-24. Again this is somthing I have yet been unable to verify. Any information is greatly appreciated.

David Schnabel

I believe the 98/29 was made at the BRNO/CZ factory and the action is EXACTLY the same as a VZ-24!
Good luck!

08 January 2002, 17:13
m1carbine
The 98/29 was made by cz and is a standard length action.
Ray
09 January 2002, 22:09
TGetzen
Yes it is the same as the VZ-24 (standard, full length lg ring 98) except for the Farsi markings. It is heat treated alloy, not case/pack hardened.

Compared side by side, you will see it is a higher grade of finish than most other Mausers.

I always thought one would be quite cool for a custom rifle, mainly because of the writing...

Todd