The Accurate Reloading Forums
SMLE rebarreling advice

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/5031022452

22 September 2019, 00:07
458Win
SMLE rebarreling advice
I have a guide looking to build an Alaskan hunting rifle and he likes an old 1908 Sparkbrook SMLE #1 and wishes to rebarrel it to 405 Win.

I am sure it can be done, but my question is whether or not it is safe ?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com
22 September 2019, 00:31
dpcd
Safe? Do some math and calculate the back thrust. Use the internal diameter, not the OD; that is misleading. It is not the chamber pressure that is important.
Compare that with a 303. I have done it but have forgot the results.
I make them into 405 2.2 inch; and use the more available 30-40 brass. 405 Teddy I call it.
22 September 2019, 04:09
yumastepside
I just answered this same question on the NE Forum, check it out!

Roger
22 September 2019, 06:47
dpcd
Need to more fully flesh out all the ramifications in doing so.
It is not chamber pressure that is important; as I said. Calculate back thrust for each and you will get a better idea of what is happening.
The standard 405 will fit 3 rounds into a #3 Magazine (I just did it) before the angle gets too steep; it is about .030 too long, factory length. It would be very easy to seat a little deeper, or file off the lead tip a bit, or trim off a bit of brass; then it will work.
I have the 45-90 article from Rifle mag if anyone wants a copy.
Also, a 45-70 diameter rim will not work in an Enfield; some conversions ream out the bolt head support; I do not like to do that so I make them using slightly reduced rim, brass. Still works in all other 45-70/90 rifles. I know, not your question.