The Accurate Reloading Forums
Win 70 LA stock with .257 Roberts follower + spring

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/1231014062

02 July 2020, 18:16
BNagel
Win 70 LA stock with .257 Roberts follower + spring
Sirs

I'm curious about how to fill in the inletted part of a long action wood stock for a rifle I bought a couple years ago. It works fine/shoot good with a blind follower atop either the magnum length follower and spring it came with, or the .257 Rbts follower and a 7 mm Mauser spring I've just bought for it. Because of the extra space, the rifle won't "stack" rounds. The stock it came in was snapped during shipping and I "repaired" it enough to keep it as a back-up or experiment/project.

I'm sure this has been discussed but can't find old posts that might answer my query. Can I do something to take up the extra space in front of the follower and in back of it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Barry

02 July 2020, 18:57
dpcd
Do you want to fill the stock or the magazine box? Winchester mag boxes come with sheet steel spacers welded in the rear of them for various calibers. The stock recess is immaterial to feeding or stacking. But you fill any stock gaps with wood and acraglas. Brown.
The 257 should feed from any Win mag box.
02 July 2020, 20:43
BNagel
Thanks! I want to fill the magazine box at either end. This was someone's project gun and I'm just fiddling now. i'll practice on the repaired stock before committing. Cheers!

02 July 2020, 21:02
dpcd
M70 mag boxes are only filled at the rear, and for a properly loaded 257, you will need 3 inches of magazine length. If your throat will take it. What caliber was the box in it to start with?
The 257 was killed by Remington from the start by making it a varmint round and making it short. BIG mistake. It is far more than that; Ruger made them on long mags and throats so 120 bullets can be used. Any 257 made on a short action is a waste of iron.
03 July 2020, 00:53
BNagel
dpcd

No idea of the original caliber/chambering. I can't tell if the ramp has been modified. No issues, really, with chambering singles, just that it won't hold more than one down or feed multiples. Thanks for the info.

Barry

03 July 2020, 02:12
dpcd
Post 64 M70 feed is controlled by the sheet metal mag box lips; you might have an issue with that. If it won't hold more than one down, that is it. Not the length. They are very forgiving on length. What is the letter on your box? That tells what it started out life as, and does it have a spacer in the rear; all but the 375s do.
03 July 2020, 04:32
BNagel
Well, I am an Aggie...
No such box, hence no number.
Would this be it?
https://www.midwestgunworks.co...mgwi/prod/U353070970

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1134930A

03 July 2020, 19:21
dpcd
No such box??? Your rifle is not complete without one, and will not feed or function without one. You do not need a spacer; you need to complete your rifle action.
You said you wanted to fill the magazine box at either end; I now think you do not have a magazine box at all.
Yes, the link you sent from Numrich is it.
06 July 2020, 21:05
BNagel
Got stuck thinking about the conversion, busted stock and such. Blind follower allowed me to work up loads, and I have had no intention or opportunity to hunt anyway. Just forgot, even though I bedded the thing, to think about the magazine box itself. Got one on the way. faint

12 July 2020, 01:28
BNagel
Fix't with KFC stamped magazine box. Stacked layers of tape (for now) at rear of box allows feeding five cartridges one-by-one. dpcd rules!