The Accurate Reloading Forums
Any experience with Corgi's

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9021043/m/4431043362

15 December 2020, 07:15
lavaca
Any experience with Corgi's
Anyone have any experience hunting with this breed?
Been without a dog for some years now. Don't hunt waterfowl much at all anymore and when I do I hunt with folks with dogs. So I was thinking about a dog that would be a good hunting companion for whitetail and nilgai in South Texas, able to blood trail, as well as a good house dog, as I no longer have much of a yard -- so any terrier is out.

Was thinking Corgi or beagle. Welcome thoughts?
15 December 2020, 20:27
Bill/Oregon
I would not have thought of a Corgi for this work, but they do have a herding background somewhere in their breeding. Thinking those short legs might not be much help negotiating your Texas scrub, that can bite back. I think a beagle might be the better choice, but maybe we have some Corgi fans here who can shed more light.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
15 December 2020, 21:30
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Parents have one, not sure if it is Welsh or Pembroke. Kills the shit out of rabbits and gophers in the yard.

Doesn't dig.

He's fat and old now, they are going to have to do something with him in the next couple of years.

He doesn't like to travel, he goes to my sister's house when they leave town and he's pretty upset with everyone for a few days when they get home.

He is an odd size for napping, as part of his body is usually hanging off the chair on my dad when he sleeps. Dad is 80, and I think Ralphie is 11? They nap about 3-4 times a day for 15 minutes.

Dad says he is the best dog he has ever had, and they have probably had 30.
15 December 2020, 22:10
Aspen Hill Adventures
Corgi are indeed a herding breed.

~Ann

16 December 2020, 01:36
Biebs
My sister has 2 at their farm in Vermont, and love them. Not sure about blood trailing and all, but great little companions. cc
16 December 2020, 23:48
packrattusnongratus
Have a friend who had Corgis over the years. He sure likes them but I'm not sure about tracking as I am pretty sure there is a stringent law about dogs and big game hunting in Misery. Be Well, Packy.
18 December 2020, 19:43
Grizzly Adams1
Short legs in Texas, I don't think so. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
18 December 2020, 23:01
Big Wonderful Wyoming
My parents lived in Casper, until about 3 years ago and then for some stupid reason (their words, but mine as well) they moved to Cheyenne.

The only good thing about where they live in Cheyenne (about 3 miles east of town) they don't have many snakes.

Their place in Casper got more diamondbacks than I do here in New Mexico and I get 2-3 a year (that I know about).

In Casper, their corgi got bit twice. The vet gave him a vaccination to help with rattlesnake bites. I don't know anything about it or what it was.
19 December 2020, 12:29
twilli
As ann said corgi’s are a herding animal for sheep . You will be disappointed in one as a hunting dog. Beagle would be a good choice for blood trailing and chasing Jack rabbits. Why not a Jack Russell terrier or a Jaig terrier .
19 December 2020, 12:32
twilli
Look at clumber spaniels also . They are great hunting dogs and fun companions. Not all jacked up like a terrier . You don’t need a huge yard for terrier s either just a place to take them to burn off some steam
25 December 2020, 22:00
Jerry Hoover
My experiences with Corgis is all bad. They are sneaky little ankle biters who do not have the courage to come at you from the front. Part of this is because they were bred to herd cattle by heel biting to force bovines to move on a desired direction. Unfortunately some of this reed seems to regard people as animals to be herded.Never trust one behind you unless you enjoy being ankle bitten!
28 December 2020, 15:57
scruffy
jumping
03 January 2021, 18:06
umzingele
I cant resist......the only person I know that has corgis, and she has had many over the years, and is a dedicated hunter and fly fisher...well you should write her a letter.....with the following advice from google;

According to the official royal website, the letter should be addressed to Her Majesty the Queen, Buckingham Palace, London, SW1A 1AA, and should you wish to write formally, the site gives the following advice: "You can open with 'Madam' and close the letter with the form 'I have the honour to be, Madam, Your Majesty's humble and obedient servant'. This traditional approach is by no means obligatory. You should feel free to write in whatever style you feel comfortable." Good Luck and let us know if she answers you

https://leslievandermerwesafaris.co.za/