The Accurate Reloading Forums
500 S&W

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8721043/m/2711060752

01 February 2020, 20:48
Bill73
500 S&W
Has anyone on here purchased a rifle of this caliber from Big Horn Armory? How has it performed for you?Thanks.

DRSS
01 February 2020, 23:00
Coloradoyaler
Bill,

Mine is very finnicky. Both feeding and accuracy. It likes the longer bullets for both. It shoots the Lehigh Defense 350gr CF the best (2") @100yds. Also, it has a long lever throw which I don't like. It would never shoot as well as my marlins or 1886. It is fast handling with the 16" barrel as I put a fast fire 3 on it. I personally would not buy it again. I have a Win 1886 Deluxe 45-70 shorten to 18" barrel that out shoots it hands down and out performs it.

Just my opinion and findings.

Mark

02 February 2020, 19:06
Bill73
Thanks for your comments,their website claims their guns are 1.5"@ 100 yrds,is your gun an early gun or a recently manufactured one?

DRSS
02 February 2020, 21:41
Coloradoyaler
Bill,

Recent manufacture bought last May.
03 February 2020, 06:08
Bill73
Well I am going to re-think my aspirations to acquire one Eeker

DRSS
03 February 2020, 09:09
Coloradoyaler
Bill,

This is the load and bullet I settled on. I have an affliction. I was raised as a target shooter. Taught to want groups one inch or less at 100yds. I agree it is not required for a rifle that is a 150yd gun at best but that is what I want. If the rifle doesn't perform after some serious load testing I send it down the road. Just my thoughts and opinion. I too would like to hear other observation and experience with the BHA 89.

03 February 2020, 19:44
Bill73
Did you ever contact Big Horn about the feeding issues? those targets actually look pretty decent to me.

DRSS
03 February 2020, 21:12
Coloradoyaler
Bill

I sent the rifle back to BHA to have the scout rail installed. They told me it would be about 3 weeks. After 6 weeks I started calling. I was told they would get to when they got to it. Not what I wanted to hear. I researched the internet on the feeding issues and found its a common problem with the shorter lighter bullets. I am satisfied with those groups and how it shoots those bullets. As you know you could be one just like it and it would shoot every bullet you run threw it. I am telling you about my issues and findings. I have owned four Marlin 1895. They all would shoot very well. Again, I admit they are not designed to be target guns but hunting guns out to 150yds. They will definitely shoot minute of moose or deer. I am going to try it on few bears this spring and boars this fall.

Mark