The Accurate Reloading Forums
Straddle Floorplate question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/4151047172

20 August 2022, 04:36
30.06king
Straddle Floorplate question
I see installation of a Straddle Floorplate is relatively common on custom bolt action magazine rifles. Attempting to research any particular advantage of this floorplate style has not been productive with info. All of my personal rifles have standard, non- straddle floorplates which have never once given me any concerns or problems. So, could the experts here please educate me on what I don't know about Straddle Floorplates ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
20 August 2022, 05:09
custombolt
I presumed it was that the extra metal would prevent some dirt from getting into the magazine.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
20 August 2022, 05:38
skb
Looks cool, Mauser did it on the magnum models. No other reason I can see.
20 August 2022, 20:20
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
Does serve the "advantage" of positioning the floorplate precisely at both ends..Anyone that's handled a few M-70's will see what I mean
21 August 2022, 04:17
30.06king
quote:
Duane Wiebe (CG&R)
posted 21 August 2022 03:20
Does serve the "advantage" of positioning the floorplate precisely at both ends..Anyone that's handled a few M-70's will see what I mean

Would you mind providing more detail please ? I think I see how straddle floorplate positioning would be more precise ( since the floorplate rear cannot move beyond nor on tangent to the trigger guard ) but how does that bear on what the M70 has ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
25 August 2022, 16:42
xausa
If shaped correctly, it could provide downward pressure on the floorplate latch, reducing the
play between floorplate and latch and the chance that a heavy recoiling cartridge would dump the contents of the magazine on the ground.
29 August 2022, 08:56
Atkinson
I always figured they covered up inletting corner mistakes, and they do that very well, but I suspect Duane was closer to the bullseye than the rest of us..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com