The Accurate Reloading Forums
Firearm Friendly Airline

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7621043/m/7351022812

09 February 2016, 00:57
txsouthpaw
Firearm Friendly Airline
What experience does anyone have with Canadian airlines? Booking a flight on American to Vancouver, then onward. Looks like the options are Air Canada and West Jet. Just trying to be proactive and find the airline with the least hassles transporting a rifle.
09 February 2016, 01:46
groundtender
Never flown WestJet, but have heard a couple of good reports on them. My experience with Air Canada was not very good. Big fees for stuff they called extra that did not exist on the United flights we had in from US. Look for policies on ammo for instance. It works a lot better if the airline will allow you to carry your ammo in the same locked case that holds your rifle. Probably others will have good sdvice. I would not fly Air Canada. Good luck
09 February 2016, 03:06
Oldguns
Air Canada IS A "PIA" !!!
09 February 2016, 03:12
groundtender
Doesn't sound very complimentary, but what does PIA stand for?
09 February 2016, 03:21
Oldguns
PIA=pain in azz
09 February 2016, 08:08
medved
air north ... but it is not helping you ...
09 February 2016, 11:50
~Arctic~
Go Westjet, ....at least no surcharges for firearms, and they're friendly!

A stranger is a friend we haven't met
09 February 2016, 16:50
txsouthpaw
Thanks for the feedback, guys. It sounds like my impressions of Air Canada were correct...avoid them if at all possible.
09 February 2016, 20:34
butchloc
air canada really sucks
09 February 2016, 21:06
sheephunterab
No problems flying with firearms on either but Air Canada does charge an additional fee just because it's a firearm. I wouldn't call either of them firearm friendly but no issues flying with guns on either. Pick the cheapest one. Both have publicly come out against African hunting so they both suck in my opinion.

Check out our hunt videos at https://www.youtube.com/channe...K-TVoxC2Q5oglxBiRP0g
11 May 2016, 07:27
strapman
I just got back from flying Air Canada and WestJet. They tore up both my pieces of luggage. This was a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Duffel and a Tuffpak firearm case. They were polite but a pain in the butt. THey also charged me, if memory serves, $50.00 for bringing a firearm on-board an airplane. If I was close enough to drive, I would have.
11 May 2016, 10:39
Skyline
quote:
Originally posted by strapman:
I just got back from flying Air Canada and WestJet. They tore up both my pieces of luggage. This was a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Duffel and a Tuffpak firearm case. They were polite but a pain in the butt. THey also charged me, if memory serves, $50.00 for bringing a firearm on-board an airplane. If I was close enough to drive, I would have.

Yup........ drive if you can. Last time I flew in the US my rifle case arrived with the corners blown out. United Airlines....... but who know s what trained monkeys were doing the baggage in the airport in Minneapolis.

Bottom line is all airline travel with firearms now is a royal pain in the ass.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.