The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: Why I don't care for gar

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7221043/m/857105641

30 July 2004, 20:17
derf
Re: Why I don't care for gar
Bud, Dan keeps messing up his mower blades by trying to run over cats and not paying attention to where he is going! OK scout, the ball is in your court!! derf
05 August 2004, 23:40
Toolmaker
If you think gar are bad news, check out muskelunges - think "freshwater barricuda". The record is something like 70lbs! Typical gear looks like downsized tuna poles. There are actually rod blanks available specifically for muskelunge fishing. Luckily for me, PA dept of fish and game started stocking Tiger muskys in the deleware river sometime in the 80's - a 90 minute drive away

Toolmaker
07 August 2004, 05:07
DigitalDan
TM, I would be last to disparage the legendary Muskie, unless of course it was an Ed Muskie... but some varieties get a LOT bigger than 70#. Like maybe closer to 200# & 7' than 150#. I don't know the records at the moment... All that said, the Muskie will give one helluva better fight than a gar, regardless of size. Garfish run just a bit faster than a sloth, so catching a big one is really not much of a test. Gators will eat them however and that is a good thing.

As to the grass, it's actually St. Augustine, and what derf said is true. I spend my money on culling cats, not cutting grass. In good time there will be no grass allowed in my yard, only rock gardens, water falls and strategically placed backstops that will retain bullets beyond the bait pile.

Isn't it groovy having a forum all to yourself?!

Dan