The Accurate Reloading Forums
Cooler/fluctuating weather is bringing in the bigger bass

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7221043/m/3711049041

21 September 2010, 07:34
Luis L.
Cooler/fluctuating weather is bringing in the bigger bass
The good fishing is about to really get going in the central U.S. We had a cold snap that saw temps dip down in the 50's this past week. Today, it ended abruptly and we had a high near 90. Just for the heck of it, I hit the lake knowing that Mondays rarely yield good fishing due to the weekend pressure. Well, it turned out to be a good move as the bigger bass were striking hard near the shoreline. I caught three big bass (including the 3.5 - 4.0lbs+ toad below) and a little guy before the wife and daughter grew too annoyed with the bugs. I was likea kid out there and didn't want to leave with all of the big boys starting to give us shore fishmen a chance. With the kids in school and the temps starting to drop, the fishing is about to get really good!

21 September 2010, 17:47
Mikelravy
Yep, same here. Can't wait.
21 September 2010, 17:47
Palmer
Very nice work.

Shoreline fishing, especially farm pond fishing is a lot like hunting - slipping around vegetation to find fish then once hooked actually getting them through all that vegetation to your hand.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman
21 September 2010, 17:59
Luis L.
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Very nice work.

Shoreline fishing, especially farm pond fishing is a lot like hunting - slipping around vegitation to find fish then once hooked actually getting them through all that vegitation to your hand.

That's exactly how I work it - spot to spot, in the vegetation looking for places where the plants cast shadows on the water but where I won't lose my line in the hanging branches. I never spend more than 15 minutes or so in one spot.

That last part - the getting them to the shore part - was definitely an adventure on the one in the pic. He snapped a 14lb. test line when he thrashed just as I got him on the shore. A near escape facilitated by the fact I stopped bringing the net a long time ago because I just never pulled any huge fish out of this lake. It won't get left again.