The Accurate Reloading Forums
January Tuna Trip

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7221043/m/255105581

20 January 2005, 08:06
Carnivore
January Tuna Trip
Here are some photos of a trip my wife and I went on. It was a good friends boat and our intent was to stack up the grouper. We were about 24 miles off of Destin Fl in about 190 ft of water. After a few solid grouper I through out a flatline with a dead cigar minnow on a light rig, Penn 560 slammer, light rod, 12 lb test, and lo and behold, we got into the "uncatchable" blackfin tuna. It was quite a battle on light line. My wifes fish went 29, my buddies fish went 28, and mine went 27 lbs.

22 January 2005, 05:02
Charles_Helm
Nice report and good job, especially on light line.
24 January 2005, 21:24
CDH
Call me a wimp, but I consider 20# light for blackfin and prefer 40#...especially since there is usually a yellowfin or two lurking around schools of blackfin! When the big yellowfins hit, I don't care how heavy of line you have, you are in for a long tug-o-war!

Fun trip...enjoy those tuna steaks!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
02 February 2005, 08:29
Carnivore
CDH, we had no intentions on getting our butts kicked on that ultralight outfit. That was actually the bait rod. I had a mono leader sitting in the top tray of my box, and when I took the Sabiki off I put the mono on and let a dead cigar minnow drift in the current. We only had one 30# outfit on the boat. Everything else was 60 and 80 lb bottom fishing rigs. No dedicated tuna outfits were brought because no one had caught a blackfin in weeks. They were there, they just didn't want to eat until that day, I guess. In all seriousness, I have lived in or near Destin Fl for close to fifteen years and have been skunked offshore ONE time. The fishing is absolutely incredible. One day when I get my links back up I am going to re post some of the better ones.

Alan