The Accurate Reloading Forums
Feeding Backyard Birds of Prey?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6721043/m/116107901

27 December 2003, 16:33
jlbpa
Feeding Backyard Birds of Prey?
I live in Frankfort Kentucky. I have several bird feeders out in my yard and there are hawks that frequent my yard looking for squirrels and birds. I love watching them hunt but only witnessed one success. The fields they use to hunt are now housing developments. I want to make sure they get enough to eat and don't have to over work or take risks to catch prey. I worry about them because there are alot of telephone, electric, and tv cable wire around that they might crash into. If they would happen to find a freshly killed dead bird or squirrel will they eat it? Or will they only go after live prey?
29 December 2003, 11:00
Oldsarge
You might get them to take fresh-killed meat if it was moving. How you would go about that, I don't know.
30 December 2003, 00:43
koerther
Hi neighbor,

I live in the colony subdivision in Frankfort Ky and I loose about three birds to hawks in my back yard each year. I have one on tape last year doing the dirty deed but they got to eat too. I think it is a coopers too small to be a redtail and tail too long for broad wing. It gets after the morning doves but so far has not got one of them yet.