THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Hoppe's Boresnake in .257 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I'm wondering if anyone else has used a Boresnake in a .257. I would like to know how it worked for you.

I have a 30cal boresnake and it works fine for clearing oil from the bore before we head out hunting.

I purchased one for my daughters 257 Roberts and used it for the first time yesterday when we returned from hunting.

As soon as it entered the throat there was major resistance. I was worried that the pull cord would break but I saw no option but to continue polling it through. It made it out of the bore but it still took effort even after the brush was clear of the bore.

I looked at the label on the boresnake itself to make sure that it had not been mispackaged. It was marked ".257,6.5mm,.264"

I measured the brush and it is .264 at the tips of the bristles.

I would guess that this one takes 5 times the force to pull through the bore as my 30 cal does.

I won't be using this one again.

I'm wondering what experiences the rest of you have had.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 5795 | Location: The North Slope, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Some of those multi-caliber boresnakes are like that. I have a few that are tight and takes effort to get through. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the boresnake, one pass equals 180 patches, and Im sure of one thing more bores are ruined with cleaning rods than anything else..I use boresnakes all year around, and give my guns a good Wipe Out cleaning maybe twice a year with a steel one piece rod and guide..I know they work, take one on a P dog hunt where you shoot hundreds of rounds a day, that will make a believer out of you...

the first pass thru with a new boresnake takes some effort, then the brush bends to fit...I don't mind one being tight cleans better that way, Ive use a 416 brush in a 375 and had to wrap the cord around a screw driver or whatever. In many years Ive never broke a boresnake..That said some folks can destory a 150 lb anvil with a powder puff...I keep then clean (washed) and inspect them often..to wash them I put all of them in a sock and toss them in the washing machine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 38051 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote