The Accurate Reloading Forums
Cleaning bore with steel rod

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/6091097301

22 February 2009, 02:24
MWC
Cleaning bore with steel rod
Just got a new .17hmr rifle. Never had anything this small so got a new cleaning kit with rod. The rod is steel and I am wondering if I should be using a steel rod? On the one hand I think they wouldn't sell a steel rod if it was harmful. And I'm just over reacting. On the other hand, I don't want to damage a new gun.
22 February 2009, 03:34
mete
Actually a soft aluminum or brass rod can do more damage as they are soft enough to pick up grit and dirt which will abrade and scratch the bore.
22 February 2009, 06:25
Allan DeGroot
Yeah, Steel rods resist grit (mostly from primers) getting imbedded in the rod and getting dragged back and forth through the bore.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984
22 February 2009, 12:51
Steve Latham
quote:
Originally posted by MWC:
Just got a new .17hmr rifle. Never had anything this small so got a new cleaning kit with rod. The rod is steel and I am wondering if I should be using a steel rod? On the one hand I think they wouldn't sell a steel rod if it was harmful. And I'm just over reacting. On the other hand, I don't want to damage a new gun.
I would not put anything in any rifle/handgun bore that was approaching the same hardness as the barrels, Get yourself a Dewey carbon rod for your .17, just wipe clean with a lint free cloth on using rod, Steel rods are for battlefield calibre crew served weapons Cool P.S. Get some Wipeout while your at it, unbeatable product!