The Accurate Reloading Forums
Cleaning After Barnes XLC Bullets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/1341043122

21 May 2016, 17:39
Clayman
Cleaning After Barnes XLC Bullets
I have a few practice loads using some old Barnes XLC bullets (10-15 of them) and I want to shoot them, but I don't remember the protocol for cleaning the coating out of the bore afterwards. IIRC, the coating isn't moly but something else. I want to shoot these up so I can reload the cases. Will Wipeout work to get the coating out or do I need to rely on something more abrasive? Do I even need to worry about this at all?

21 May 2016, 19:30
BNagel
J-B Bore Paste.

21 May 2016, 20:52
buckeyeshooter
Not worry at all. I use Barnes bore cleaner and I bought a boatload of xlc's when they were on closeout. Never had any clean up problem.
21 May 2016, 23:11
Clayman
Buckeyeshooter,

Did you find whatever coating they Barnes uses(I forget) to be noticeable when you clean? With only so few rounds to shoot, I'm thinking it's not a huge issue and I can clean as normal with a barrel solvent.

22 May 2016, 06:34
buckeyeshooter
The first one or two patches seem to remove all the blue coating. The amount of coating is pretty small also. Then a couple more that come out white, I can't see it would be an issue.
22 May 2016, 17:56
Clayman
Excellent. Thanks for the advice.

24 May 2016, 22:31
Atkinson
Fill the bore with Wipe Out foam, go take a long nap, then swab it out with clean patches..Maybe twice if its real bad...oil it.

Remember a bore need not be squeaky clean, never been a target or an animal shot with a clean bore....Over cleaning is worse than unde rcleaning..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
30 May 2016, 17:38
Clayman
Just as a quick follow-up, I used Wipeout yesterday and it took everything off. The blue dye was oozing out the end of the barrel for a good hour or so. That, combined with the removal of the copper (also blue) left everything squeaky clean when finished.