The Accurate Reloading Forums
Factory 357 magnum midrange ammunition?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6011036801/m/5341088512

26 November 2015, 07:24
Naphtali
Factory 357 magnum midrange ammunition?
I understand there are several ammunition makers who currently offer 357 magnum midrange ammunition. I suspect such ammunition might be more useful to use in my S&W 640 snubnose than full power 357 ammunition. Please identify specific 357 magnum midrange by what ordering information I would need. So far, I cannot make heads or tails of things beyond "357 Magnum" and type-weight of bullet loaded.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
26 November 2015, 16:05
p dog shooter
The only way I found to get good 357 mid range 357s was to load them my self.

And use a crony it is easy to load that gets above +P38 and below full 357s.

Those light weight 357s are a bear with full house 357s.
27 November 2015, 06:54
Sam
Hydra shock has a reduced recoil line of ammo. The .357 is loaded with a 130 grain bullet. You could also try the .38 Special +P ammo. I carry the 158 grain Hydra Shok in mine. I haven't done much comparison shooting though.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.
30 November 2015, 09:08
Naphtali
I am nearly certain that the midrange ammunition I will use in my 640 will be Speer's 135-grain Gold Dot for short barrels. It is expensive to shoot, though. I have identified Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain FlexLock that may - MAY - be satisfactory practice ammunition. What I do not know and cannot determine from published specifications is whether its muzzle velocity from my 2.125-inch barrel will closely match Speer's Gold Dot. Specifications for one are taken from 4-inch test barrel, the other from 8-inch test barrel. So neither the barrels nor published velocities are comparable. People who have chronographed these rounds in the same short barrel have the information I seek.

Are the cartridges' muzzle velocities from 2-to-2.5-inch barrels nearly identical?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
30 November 2015, 16:01
p dog shooter
Naphtali There is really only one way to know what each round well do in your handgun.

Buy a chronograph I have had shorter barreled firearms out preform longer barreled ones with the same load.

Having some one else shoot a load only tells you what it does in their firearm.

With the expensive price of ammo having one could be paid for not buying few boxes you don't like.
01 December 2015, 03:06
Sam
When I bought the Glock 30SF I think I bought 6 or 7 different .45 ACP rounds to checkout in it and a 1911. With the .357 I was pretty much "trust Hydra Shok" now I would at least evaluate the ammo I have on hand the same as I did the.45.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.