The Accurate Reloading Forums
Latest Sports Afield

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5851000191/m/4741053942

22 January 2019, 00:07
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Latest Sports Afield
I have been reading the magazine for the majority of my life. The most recent update to turn it into a world wide focused hunting magazine about 8 or 9 years ago was great.

The last update that featured almost every article with a hidden agenda as an utter advertisement was complete bullshit.

I bought it for the Boddington High Altai Argali article, as I have not seen mine in the mail yet.

The entire rest of the magazine was an advertisement disguised as journalism.
22 January 2019, 01:24
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I have been reading the magazine for the majority of my life. The most recent update to turn it into a world wide focused hunting magazine about 8 or 9 years ago was great.

The last update that featured almost every article with a hidden agenda as an utter advertisement was complete bullshit.

I bought it for the Boddington High Altai Argali article, as I have not seen mine in the mail yet.

The entire rest of the magazine was an advertisement disguised as journalism.


I used to get Sporting Classics but discontinued for the same reason. Seriously, a story devoted to "Vendor A" and right next to it a paid ad?"


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

24 January 2019, 22:16
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Yes, that exactly on Sports Afools!
27 January 2019, 06:35
cessna
I read my latest Sports Afield magazine and came away feeling the same. I've let most of my magazines go because they are like nothing but catalogs or a quarterly update on the upcoming conventions. I miss getting a regular magazine where I can read about hunting and its adventure. Just my opinion.
27 January 2019, 11:07
PerH
Borrowing the lines a little bit, i once noticed in scandi mags that apparently free lancers writings looked to be cut down very much. But regular staffers or editors qent on and on into many pages,often repeating themselves several times..


was mr Rigby before a pc crash
31 January 2019, 01:54
dogcat
SA is my favorite magazine, but I sensed the same as the rest of you.
For one thing, how many articles can Craig Boddington write??? He has written over a hundred on the .30-06 and the .270. His Mongolia hunt was interesting coming from a guy that has had financial issues for several years and those hunts cost upwards of $100,000. Not sure how he affords that unless it is comped or a gift.
His written is that same and I skip his stuff in the various mags he writes for.
Do I dislike CB? No, not at all. But I am very tired of his style and what he has to say. After a dozen or more books and 4000 articles, what else can he write about?
Same goes for some other writers.

I would like to see some younger, newer writers much like what we see in the Mountain Hunting Journal and others.

Further, you never see a negative review of a product in any magazine. There are plenty of bad products to expose, but our current collection of gun writers choses not to do it.
When one famous hunter/writer wrote a disparaging article about AR-15's as hunting rifles, he was cut off by most publications and ridiculed. Why? His opinion did not meet advertisers expectations or needs.
He gave his opinion and got slapped down.

If CB or Wayne Van Zoll or others told the negatives on an outfit or a product, the hunting world would come down on them.

Anyway, I will subscribed to SA as it is one of the best out there and we need it.


Tajikistan - 2020 - Marco Polo Sheep and Mid-Asian Ibex
Masai Land -2019- Lesser Kudu and Masai Bushbuck
Ethiopia - 2017 -Mountain Nyala
Botswana - 2016 - Tholo Safaris and the Okavango Delta
Cameroon - 2016 – Lord Derby’s Eland and Buffalo
Turkey - 2015 - Bezoar Ibex and Tour
Nambia - 2015 - Father-Son - Eland
Sonora Mexico - 2015 - Desert Bighorn Sheep and Sonoran Mule Deer
British Columbia - 2014- Stone Sheep, Goat and Moose
New Zealand 2014 - Rusa Deer
British Columbia - 2013 - Bighorn Sheep
Zimbabwe 2013- Leopard with Hounds
Namibia 2012 - Lion
CAR 2012 - Lord Derby Eland
Cameroon Rainforest - 2011 - Bongo
Zambia - Nchila Reserve - 2010 - Forest Sitatunga
01 February 2019, 14:52
BenKK
I enjoy Sports Afield, it’s definitely my favourite hunting magazine and the only one I subscribe to. I was super proud to show my seven-year-old son (and budding little buffalo hunter) my first story accepted and published by Sports Afield last year, and it’s a special memory for me of my boy flicking through on a long drive and learning all the different animals, and then asking questions about conservation.

I do skip those real estate ads, though!
05 February 2019, 01:01
Bwana338
No need to pick on one magazine.

The same story may appear in 3 or more magazines. Store line is the same, however the picture and words are a little different.Kind of like shooting a mule deer and taking pictures of different views of the animal. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that they are the same animal, clothing , rifle and hunter. Therefore, i let many of my magazine subscriptions go I am down to about 4 different magazines, and two of those are from Africa.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne
05 February 2019, 18:34
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
No need to pick on one magazine.

The same story may appear in 3 or more magazines. Store line is the same, however the picture and words are a little different.Kind of like shooting a mule deer and taking pictures of different views of the animal. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that they are the same animal, clothing , rifle and hunter. Therefore, i let many of my magazine subscriptions go I am down to about 4 different magazines, and two of those are from Africa.


For sure; I get Petersen's HUNTING, American Hunter, Guns and Ammo, and Shooting Times. Getting really sick of the same industry hunt being written about in all four magazines.


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

05 February 2019, 20:21
hvrhunter
50 years and counting with Fur,Fish & Game.Just a real basic mag,stories by regular guys that want to share their experiences. No far off adventures except to go out of state to hunt or fish.Most of us grew up with that type of activity, then we be came adrenaline junkies.
06 February 2019, 00:22
AnotherAZWriter
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
50 years and counting with Fur,Fish & Game.Just a real basic mag,stories by regular guys that want to share their experiences. No far off adventures except to go out of state to hunt or fish.Most of us grew up with that type of activity, then we be came adrenaline junkies.


The first mag I ever wrote for after being published in MidWest Outdoors. A great mag!


Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

06 February 2019, 03:17
Rockdoc
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
I enjoy Sports Afield, it’s definitely my favourite hunting magazine and the only one I subscribe to. I was super proud to show my seven-year-old son (and budding little buffalo hunter) my first story accepted and published by Sports Afield last year, and it’s a special memory for me of my boy flicking through on a long drive and learning all the different animals, and then asking questions about conservation.

I do skip those real estate ads, though!


You should write some more Ben.

Cheers,Chris


DRSS
06 February 2019, 04:38
dogcat
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
No need to pick on one magazine.

The same story may appear in 3 or more magazines. Store line is the same, however the picture and words are a little different.Kind of like shooting a mule deer and taking pictures of different views of the animal. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that they are the same animal, clothing , rifle and hunter. Therefore, i let many of my magazine subscriptions go I am down to about 4 different magazines, and two of those are from Africa.


For sure; I get Petersen's HUNTING, American Hunter, Guns and Ammo, and Shooting Times. Getting really sick of the same industry hunt being written about in all four magazines.


I recently dropped those mags along with all of the Guns and AMmo, Rifle Shooter, etc. repetitive crap.


Tajikistan - 2020 - Marco Polo Sheep and Mid-Asian Ibex
Masai Land -2019- Lesser Kudu and Masai Bushbuck
Ethiopia - 2017 -Mountain Nyala
Botswana - 2016 - Tholo Safaris and the Okavango Delta
Cameroon - 2016 – Lord Derby’s Eland and Buffalo
Turkey - 2015 - Bezoar Ibex and Tour
Nambia - 2015 - Father-Son - Eland
Sonora Mexico - 2015 - Desert Bighorn Sheep and Sonoran Mule Deer
British Columbia - 2014- Stone Sheep, Goat and Moose
New Zealand 2014 - Rusa Deer
British Columbia - 2013 - Bighorn Sheep
Zimbabwe 2013- Leopard with Hounds
Namibia 2012 - Lion
CAR 2012 - Lord Derby Eland
Cameroon Rainforest - 2011 - Bongo
Zambia - Nchila Reserve - 2010 - Forest Sitatunga
06 February 2019, 13:56
BenKK
quote:


You should write some more Ben.

Cheers,Chris


Thank you, Chris! I will give it another try at some stage, for sure.
15 January 2020, 09:16
cal pappas
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
SA is my favorite magazine, but I sensed the same as the rest of you.
For one thing, how many articles can Craig Boddington write??? He has written over a hundred on the .30-06 and the .270. His Mongolia hunt was interesting coming from a guy that has had financial issues for several years and those hunts cost upwards of $100,000. Not sure how he affords that unless it is comped or a gift.
His written is that same and I skip his stuff in the various mags he writes for.
Do I dislike CB? No, not at all. But I am very tired of his style and what he has to say. After a dozen or more books and 4000 articles, what else can he write about?
Same goes for some other writers.

I would like to see some younger, newer writers much like what we see in the Mountain Hunting Journal and others.

Further, you never see a negative review of a product in any magazine. There are plenty of bad products to expose, but our current collection of gun writers choses not to do it.
When one famous hunter/writer wrote a disparaging article about AR-15's as hunting rifles, he was cut off by most publications and ridiculed. Why? His opinion did not meet advertisers expectations or needs.
He gave his opinion and got slapped down.

If CB or Wayne Van Zoll or others told the negatives on an outfit or a product, the hunting world would come down on them.

Anyway, I will subscribed to SA as it is one of the best out there and we need it.


Very well said and 100%
This is why I subscribe to zero magazines.
Cal


_______________________________

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation

______________________________