The Accurate Reloading Forums
Gunsmith that chambers 300 H&H?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5621043/m/3301062752

08 February 2020, 06:51
Bwana_500
Gunsmith that chambers 300 H&H?
Hi all. I am wanting to rebarrel a 300 win to a 300 H&H. But I am struggling to find someone with a reamer for this "obsolete" cartridge. I did some googling and found one gun butcher listing the reamer, but there is no way I would use him.

Does anyone happen to know of a gunsmith that has a 300 H&H reamer on hand? The way its going, I may have to buy one just for the project.
08 February 2020, 08:24
Bakes
Alan Swan Gunsmithing has one-

Alan Swan

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"
08 February 2020, 08:48
georgeld
Doubt that can be done due to
the larger dia of the Win case.

Get a shell for each and take
a good look at 'em.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight
08 February 2020, 10:27
Bwana_500
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Doubt that can be done due to
the larger dia of the Win case.

Get a shell for each and take
a good look at 'em.

George

300 H&H is the same case head as the 300 Win. Both belted magnums as per 375H&H case

But thats irrelevant since I need to rebarrel, not rechamber.
08 February 2020, 10:29
Bwana_500
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
Alan Swan Gunsmithing has one-

Alan Swan

Thanks. How are their barrels these days? They didnt have a good reputation back in the past. But I hear more people talking about them today, so maybe they've improved.
08 February 2020, 15:58
Bakes
Can't say, I have a swan barrel on my .222 but haven't done a lot with it (that's this years project). I do know a very experienced hunter/shooter that has a few and gives them a good wrap.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"
08 February 2020, 22:28
Bwana_500
Thanks. I will see what else I can find out about their current production quality. I need to replicate the original contour on the barrel, so Swan may be good people to do that.
08 February 2020, 23:07
30.06king
quote:
Bwana_500
one of us

posted 08 February 2020 15:51
Hi all. I am wanting to rebarrel a 300 win to a 300 H&H. But I am struggling to find someone with a reamer for this "obsolete" cartridge. I did some googling and found one gun butcher listing the reamer, but there is no way I would use him.

Does anyone happen to know of a gunsmith that has a 300 H&H reamer on hand? The way its going, I may have to buy one just for the project.

You could ask these guys -
https://www.truefliteriflebarrels.co.nz/
They ship to Australia although I don'tknow if you need import permits etc. Also, they don't list .300H&H as a chambering but you never know, they might be set up for it. Worth asking anyway.

Another possibility is Hugh Bradley -
https://www.gunmakersnz.com/functions
Good name for barrels although, again, you would need to enquire about your desired chambering and whether he ships to OZ.

I have 3 Tru Flite barrels and am very happy with them. I have a Bradley barrel coming in the next few weeks. Never tried one before so looking forward to shooting it.

Good luck.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.
09 February 2020, 03:14
BenKK
Tony Small from Armidale made my .300H&H. I don’t know if he still has the reamer or not. He’s retired now.
09 February 2020, 12:13
JFE
It would be worth checking with TSE as they have quite a few chamber reamers and can supply a barrel to your specs.
09 February 2020, 12:22
gryphon1
Kudu Gunsmithing Melb did mine.

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002
10 February 2020, 07:22
Bwana_500
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I heard somewhere that Kudu had given it away. But they are not too far from me, so I will follow it up.

I sent Sawn an email over the weekend. No answer yet.
10 February 2020, 10:01
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Call Russ Lemaitre, 91401791986
10 February 2020, 23:40
Bwana_500
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Call Russ Lemaitre, 91401791986

Unfortunately I dont think he has one. The gunsmith that normally does my work is good friends with Russ, and they normally share reamers.
11 February 2020, 05:17
Big Wonderful Wyoming
Russ is having a shoulder replacement next month. He is trying to get enough work done to have enough income to live on for the 90 days before he can start swinging a spanner on a lathe again.

He said that gunsmiths were an unprotected class for disability compensation in Australia.
17 February 2020, 05:05
twobobbwana
get hold of a loading manual that shows the dimensions of both cases (Lyman & Hornady......) and compare them.

As you need to rebarrel your consideration will be action length and feeding from the magazine.

I have a reamer but don't want to do the work.
17 February 2020, 08:58
gryphon1
straight to drawings.

https://saami.org/technical-in...ge-chamber-drawings/

https://saami.org/wp-content/u...-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

Posts: 87 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002
22 February 2020, 23:06
Bwana_500
quote:
Originally posted by twobobbwana:
get hold of a loading manual that shows the dimensions of both cases (Lyman & Hornady......) and compare them.

As you need to rebarrel your consideration will be action length and feeding from the magazine.

I have a reamer but don't want to do the work.

Hi mate. Yes, totally understand the implications for the mag & feeding. Very familiar with the case dimension. I realise the AOL on the H&H is longer than the 300 WM.

Would you be interested in loan or hire of the reamer for a professional gunsmith to chamber a barrel for me? Will PM if its a goer.
28 February 2020, 05:33
H&H_Mad
Bwana 500,
Jim Kent of Buffalo Gunsmithing in Toowoomba has a 300 H&H reamer, he did my Pre-64 and has made quite a few others too.
I'm sure he would be happy to do your work for you.
Let me know if you need a phone number or email for him.

DC