The Accurate Reloading Forums
temperature change and caliber/case

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5611043/m/795104779

29 November 2008, 20:50
ffffg
temperature change and caliber/case
What case/caliber/ powder will give me the best results for coyote and target with extreem temperature variations, that would require the least amount of adjustemts and problems. Our temps here range from 90 degrees to 20 below zero. thanks.. dave

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..
29 November 2008, 21:06
Cheechako
fffg

That's a really, really wide extreme to try to accomodate. Since it's not the air temperature that affects external ballistics I'd make more effort toward maintaining a fairly constant ammunition temperature.

IMHO, there is no good/better/best combination of case/caliber/powder. They will all react to temperature ranges of 110 degrees, some maybe more than others, but you will wear out your barrel trying to find the right combination.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains
30 November 2008, 18:38
swampshooter
The Hodgdon extreme powders are supposed to be the least sensitive to velocity variations due to temperature variations, but I'm not aware of any conclusive tests. Maybe the tech reps at Hodgdon could tell you if you would call them on the phone.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.
01 December 2008, 04:48
dsiteman
Have been told by some that Varget is the least sensitive to temp. variations. As to what degree range, don't know, but long time, long range shooters seem to believe that Varget works well in this area. As mentioned, do cover up my ammo/shade, etc. somehow when shooting in hot weather.