The Accurate Reloading Forums
Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5411043/m/66710263

23 May 2002, 04:18
rudie
Bulding new rifle in .22-250 ,some advice please
Hallo to all

I am busy building a .22-250 on a Mauser 98 action , I got hold of a Wilson medium size barrel ( Ruger barrel ) or that is what I have been told by the smith. Now come your suggestions please . What type of stock size etc should I go for , ( I am still someone for wood please be easy on me ) . Also anything will help regarding accurizing my rifle with stuff I can do myself , I like to play around with things
. I plan to bed the Tang , Recoil Lug & the first inch or so after the chamber & have the barrle freefloating . Any thoughts on this or is there a better way of doing it

Thanks
Rudie

26 May 2002, 12:54
hivelosity
[Big Grin] Rudi check out these gun stocks if you are looking for wood. the 22-250 is an excelent varmint round sounds like you have a good plan, use brownell accuglass for the bed.
http://www.gunstocks.com/Great_Americax.html
10 June 2002, 10:37
<DuaneinND>
Another source of reasonable priced wood stocks is boydboys.com - Just be sure when bedding your action you maintain the proper fit between the magazine box and the receiver.
www.duanesguns.com
11 June 2002, 18:50
rudie
Oooohweee

I just stumbled on a very nice stock this afternoon . It is a Walnut uninletted semi finished that i got out of my smiths basement . He was very reluctant to sell & I was very persistent [Big Grin] . The stock is off Weatherby style rollover comb design with a wide beavertail fore end , she is exactly what I have been dreaming about for this little varmint home project . In your oppinion will the inletting best be left to a stockmaker or can I do it myself , I have all the tools as I do quite some woodwork at home.

Regards
Rudie
14 June 2002, 18:01
Pyrotek
quote:
I have all the tools as I do quite some woodwork at home
Rudie,

Not to discourage you from practicing BUT a stockmaker have all the tools and does more woodwork at a shop. Besides, who are you going after if YOU screw up the job? [Razz]