The Accurate Reloading Forums
Windhoek Gunsmith: A. Rosenthal?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4711043/m/812101241

11 July 2004, 07:07
256MS
Windhoek Gunsmith: A. Rosenthal?
Anyone familiar with the work of a gunsmith in Namibia by the name of A. Rosenthal? Any qualitative comments would be appreciated.
11 July 2004, 07:28
ALF
11 July 2004, 10:59
256MS
Alf,

Thanks for the comments.

I have a rifle in my possession now, stamped A. Rosenthal, Windhoek, Namibia on the barrel. Commercial Mauser action of unknown manufacture. Appears to be a quality made rifle with fairly classic express lines though with a monte carlo stock. I gathered it to be a weapon made by Rosenthal, but know nothing about it other than that a friend, now deceased, brought it out of Namibia. Curious to know anything more about the maker??? What Mauser actions he typically used? Any reputation in Namibia our outside Namibia?
11 July 2004, 13:41
ALF
12 July 2004, 21:38
jrslate
Gentlemen,

I've been in Rosenthal's shop in Windhoek many times, and they do have a gunsmithing service in back. In times past, they constructed rifles on Mauser actions and put their stamp on the rifle. If they still do, I do not know.

One thing I do know is that their work is typically of a high standard and is not cheap.
13 July 2004, 06:06
256MS
Thanks to you both for the comments.

I'm familiar with stamps from importers. This piece just looks a fair bit better than any standard Euro import in quality of wood, checkering and components though the barrel is unfortunately a plum blue which doesn't match the action. Barrel is the item with the Rosenthal stamp which is fairly common. Rifle is a fine looking piece and is a good handling piece albeit a tad heavy for calibre. Will probably change the chambering.

Was hoping someone might know about the Mauser actions used by Rosenthal.

Again, I appreciate your time and imput.