The Accurate Reloading Forums
THe Last Ivory Hunter - about Wally Johnson by Capstick

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4521043/m/724105606

17 January 2007, 18:24
dogcat
THe Last Ivory Hunter - about Wally Johnson by Capstick
A good story not told very well - IMO. I have read a bunch of Capsticks books trying to get into his "genre" and I have a hard time with him. The core of this story Wally Johnson - the last hunter who made a living killing elephants for ivory. Johnson was an intersting figure and worthy of a book , but good old PHC interjects his comments which, again IMO, are not of much value.

I just can't get into PHC. He is a good story teller but I get the feeling he makes up some of his anecdotes, like Pondoro Taylor.

Oh well, at least I learned a little more about Wally Johnson.
24 February 2007, 21:19
juanpozzi
I liked the book as i like all PHCs books.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-
26 February 2007, 01:52
billrquimby
I read this book again last week. I enjoyed several of his other books better, but there's nothing wrong with this one. I disagree about Capstick's comments being of not much value. To me, they are what make his stuff so readable because they help alter the pace of the narration. It's tough to write a biography that does not "puff" the subject or become so "stiff" that it reads like an textbook, but Capstick made it seem easy.

Bill Quimby
28 February 2007, 15:20
pichon1
I have read the book twice and Bills summary is absolutely spot on.Thoroughly recommend it.
01 March 2007, 19:10
dogcat
I would be happy to sell my copy for $15 shipped if anyone wants it.