The Accurate Reloading Forums
Merkel Feres Question

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4511043/m/4841088622

25 November 2016, 11:02
MopaneMike
Merkel Feres Question
Happy Thanksgiving all.

Unfortunate for me, I was asked to determine the value of this shotgun of a family member who passed earlier this year.. I can find exactly zero fingertip information on-line, so. I thought I would bring the question here to see if the collective minds of the membership can come to my rescue.. Here's what I got..

As New Merkel Feres made in the GDR (as stamped)20ga. S/S with DT No frills gun, minimal engraving, case color side plates, White Bead, straight stock, plastic butt plate. I would call it a field grade gun. I haven't taken a look at the flats yet. I do know it was made in East Germany as the GDR stamp. It's a nice looking no frills gun... I really like it myself. But I'm sure it would be out of my budget right now..

Thank you all..

MM

MopaneMike
26 November 2016, 13:12
Instructor
Can't be of much help to you, but mentioning side plates leads me to ask if they are just that, plates and not true side locks?? I own two Merkel over and under shotguns and they are box lock models. A Merkel true side lock generally will be a higher priced firearm. Typically a new Merkel will be stiff to open and the good thing is they will still be that way several years from now also, very serviceable shotguns.
27 November 2016, 06:18
MopaneMike
Side plates to me is just the sides of an action.. After your reply I realized my description was totally generic.. It is a box lock.What little I know of doubles, is pretty much what I've picked up from this site.. Also I Typo'd the GDR and will correct.. I do now have pics of the flats.. In my studies, I found a few Simpson Suhl's in 12ga. Made on same action. Exact right down to the engraving and Suhl proof marks..

MM

MopaneMike
21 January 2017, 06:27
Biebs
Mike, Ken at Kebco or his son would probably be the place to go. They import many used Simpson/Merkel double shotguns and sell them here. They could give you an accurate value.