The Accurate Reloading Forums
Current events

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4481012131/m/9011014371

26 March 2012, 17:59
Wink
Current events
I haven't been keeping up with current events. Is it now possible for a US citizen and resident to buy a suppressor for a pistol? What are the administrative hoops you jump through?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.
26 March 2012, 21:29
GeorgeS
Yes.

A Form 4 has to be submitted to the BATFE (controlling agency) along with payment of a $200 tax.

George

08 April 2012, 11:31
ranb40
Silencer possession and use has never been illegal in the USA. But 12 states prohibit civilian possession. AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KS, KY, LA, ME, MI, MD, MO, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY allow unlicensed civilians to own them.

In 1934 the National Firearms Act was passed which required ATF authorization to own or make machine guns, short barreled rifles/shotguns, silencers and certain other firearms. A $200 tax was also required to be paid anytime they were made or transferred without a license.

The application process is a simple matter of filling out a few forms, but it takes about 4-5 months at this time. The BATFE never denies authorization to make or buy a silencer as long as the forms are filled out properly.

Ranb