The Accurate Reloading Forums
40 YOA Rice

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4261093852/m/6971087662

20 July 2021, 20:37
p dog shooter
40 YOA Rice
Opened a 5 gallon plastic bucket of rice that I put in storage 40 years ago.

Cooked up a cup full. Just for test purposes.

Slight off flavor nothing that one could really put a taste to.

That was plain right out of the pot. Added just a little favoring and one notices nothing.
20 July 2021, 21:31
Aspen Hill Adventures
Excellent! Do you keep those moisture absorber packets in the bucket? I forgot the name of them but I am using them in my dry goods now.

~Ann

21 July 2021, 00:59
p dog shooter
No I did not.
21 July 2021, 09:24
NormanConquest
Selica-jel packets. I have that sealed 7.5 gal. buckets as well. Works great for rice + beans. BTW, when your stored beans get older + get crunchy; use bottled water, if you can to eliminate the effects of calcium in the water on the beans. Usually makes them like new beans.

Never mistake motion for action.
22 July 2021, 04:50
Aspen Hill Adventures
Good to know. I have heard dry beans are hard to rehydrate when they get old. I may end up canning some next time I grow such. One of my goals is to perfect a nice batch of porky pork and beans. The store bought stuff is not the same anymore. No pork in 'em.

~Ann

23 July 2021, 09:16
NormanConquest
No kidding. My mother is 90 + that is one of her complaints, not enough (or any) pork in the pork + beans. As I have to remind her frequently, "The past is another country, they do things differently there." But as long as she is sitting behind her sewing machine life is good + she stays occupied sewing + watching old westerns.

25 July 2021, 23:07
Use Enough Gun
That was the best part of opening a can of pork and beans-searching for and getting the pork! Big Grin
26 July 2021, 05:39
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
That was the best part of opening a can of pork and beans-searching for and getting the pork! Big Grin

Yes, it was. I know there was more than one piece in the can when I was a kid. Anyway, P&B will be a good winter project for me.

~Ann

26 July 2021, 05:40
Aspen Hill Adventures
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
No kidding. My mother is 90 + that is one of her complaints, not enough (or any) pork in the pork + beans. As I have to remind her frequently, "The past is another country, they do things differently there." But as long as she is sitting behind her sewing machine life is good + she stays occupied sewing + watching old westerns.

Your mom sounds like a gem. Cherish her!

~Ann

27 July 2021, 09:49
NormanConquest
I do Ann. I got a call this evening that she is in the hospital with dizziness issues but all the tests read healthy cardio-vascular; only a possible inner ear situation. Will know more tomorrow.

27 July 2021, 19:26
Aspen Hill Adventures
Ouch, hope it is nothing serious. Falls would not be a good thing at her age.

~Ann

28 July 2021, 10:23
NormanConquest
No, I talked with her this evening + she feels O.K. just tired. They recommend a walker + she is not alright with that yet but does know that she can't risk falling. This seems to be a not uncommon situation. Take your meds + a bit of therapy, which she gets to start tomorrow morning. Thank God it was not more serious. BTW, sent you a P.M.

29 July 2021, 09:16
NormanConquest
She's doing better today after therapy. We moved a laz-e-boy recliner into her sewing room as that is her comfort zone + she has to sleep at a 45 deg. angle to keep the room from spinning. She just needs to chill for a couple of days + put sewing + Matt Dillon on the back burner.

29 July 2021, 17:56
Aspen Hill Adventures
Aww, good news for your mom.

Gotcher note. Thank you!

~Ann

13 August 2021, 20:00
Saeed
I read somewhere the Russians ate meat from a prehistoric animal they had dug from the frozen north!

They said it was fine.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000