New
Find
Notify
Tools

What could possibly go wrong? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

MUTANT FISH Scientists inject fish with alligator DNA to create mutant creatures that live longer

Jona Jaupi, Technology and Science Reporter

Published: 18:06 ET, Feb 1 2023Updated: 18:32 ET, Feb 1 2023

Millions of fish are harvested across the world each year, but nearly half are killed due to diseases.

However, studies have found that by inserting alligator genes into catfish, their survival chances increase by fivefold.

The gene, dubbed cathelicidin, contains properties that protect reptiles from infections when wounded.

Typically, farmers treat sick fish with antibiotics, but this contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

But now scientists at Auburn University in Alabama are fusing the DNA of the two species.

They detailed their findings on the preprint server bioRxiv. The paper has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Scientists used CRISPR to insert the alligator gene that codes for cathelicidin into catfish.

It found the survival rate of the genetically modified fish was resistant to a common infection.

The fish are also sterile and can’t reproduce unless they are injected with reproductive hormones, MIT Technology reported. nilly

"On a per-pound basis, anywhere from 60 to 70 percent of US aquaculture is… catfish production," says Rex Dunham, who works on the genetic improvement of catfish at Auburn University in Alabama.

But catfish farming is a great breeding ground for infections, however, thanks to this new method we may see fewer catfish deaths.

What's more, farming fish that are resistant to disease will produce less waste, aquaculture researcher Greg Lutz from Louisiana State University told MIT.

However, Lutz also pointed out that the CRISPR catfish may not be the future of aquaculture.

"It’s just too difficult to produce enough of these fish to get a viable, genetically healthy line going," he said.

There are over 3,000 catfish species in the world, and they are mostly bred for human consumption.

Their name refers to the prominent barbels, which resemble a cat's whiskers.

~Ann

Posts: 19542 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

MUTANT FISH Scientists inject fish with alligator DNA to create mutant creatures that live longer

Jona Jaupi, Technology and Science Reporter

Published: 18:06 ET, Feb 1 2023Updated: 18:32 ET, Feb 1 2023

Millions of fish are harvested across the world each year, but nearly half are killed due to diseases.

However, studies have found that by inserting alligator genes into catfish, their survival chances increase by fivefold.

The gene, dubbed cathelicidin, contains properties that protect reptiles from infections when wounded.

Typically, farmers treat sick fish with antibiotics, but this contributes to the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

But now scientists at Auburn University in Alabama are fusing the DNA of the two species.

They detailed their findings on the preprint server bioRxiv. The paper has not yet been peer-reviewed.

Scientists used CRISPR to insert the alligator gene that codes for cathelicidin into catfish.

It found the survival rate of the genetically modified fish was resistant to a common infection.

The fish are also sterile and can’t reproduce unless they are injected with reproductive hormones, MIT Technology reported. nilly

"On a per-pound basis, anywhere from 60 to 70 percent of US aquaculture is… catfish production," says Rex Dunham, who works on the genetic improvement of catfish at Auburn University in Alabama.

But catfish farming is a great breeding ground for infections, however, thanks to this new method we may see fewer catfish deaths.

What's more, farming fish that are resistant to disease will produce less waste, aquaculture researcher Greg Lutz from Louisiana State University told MIT.

However, Lutz also pointed out that the CRISPR catfish may not be the future of aquaculture.

"It’s just too difficult to produce enough of these fish to get a viable, genetically healthy line going," he said.

There are over 3,000 catfish species in the world, and they are mostly bred for human consumption.

Their name refers to the prominent barbels, which resemble a cat's whiskers.

Still thinking Australia is the perfect home for resurrecting dinosaurs, mastodons, endangered African species,.......

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
FrankenFish.

We keep meddling in genetics to our own peril.

Anyone else here think all these Fucking growth hormones they are injecting in cows and feed aren't screwing up the hormones in our youth?

Breasts on 9 year olds? Boys thinking they are girls? Girls thinking they are boys? And what is Non-Binary?

Know your farmer. Buy Local.

Posts: 26546 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
At times Don, you could pass for a Texan. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you all know, I am not a fan of injecting genetic material into anything.

~Ann

Posts: 19542 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

My family were cattle people from Bavaria. Growing up I spent summers in NJ on the farm. Mostly chickens (thousands) but enough cows and bulls to feed the family and make a living.

My Grandfather taught us early to let animals be animals. Good for them good for us.

He would not think most of what Americans eat today is food.

Posts: 26546 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DRG:
quote:

My family were cattle people from Bavaria. Growing up I spent summers in NJ on the farm. Mostly chickens (thousands) but enough cows and bulls to feed the family and make a living.

My Grandfather taught us early to let animals be animals. Good for them good for us.

Outstanding! tu2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37728 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was that a zinger?!?!?! I think that was a zinger!!!! I'm gonna take that as a zinger!!!!
Well played! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 9419 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Outstanding! tu2

X2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

Was that a zinger?!?!?! I think that was a zinger!!!! I'm gonna take that as a zinger!!!!

Wink I think everyone knows where I stand by now.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Don, glad to see you posting. Great info, I had no idea you had a good farm background and also were doing work with the local wildlife situation (whales). Thanks for supporting and promoting local as well.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
quote:

Wink I think everyone knows where I stand by now.

THAT was hilarious!!
Well played Ann

Posts: 3302 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It’s just too difficult to produce enough of these fish to get a viable, genetically healthy line going,"

Well, yeah, they're sterile...

Unless, they are injected with those reproductive hormones...
Then fed to the world!!

I wonder how much Bill Gates has invested in US fish farming?!

Posts: 3302 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People have some pretty odd ideas…

While I agree that genetic manipulation can have some very severe consequences to the environment, the idea that this will harm people in and of itself is silly.

If a fish has DNA in it, a regular (unengineered) fish will cause just as much trouble as any engineered fish (or corn) as long as it is not poisonous. Your body breaks down the DNA along with the proteins etc and utilizes the building blocks to make your own proteins, DNA, whatnot.

Roundup ready corn’s DNA can’t harm you any more than any other corn- although, I suppose the enzyme the DNA codes for could be poisonous.

The issue would be that we are tinkering with the genetics of something that may have unintended consequences for our environment and the ecology.

Say you develop corn that is immune to insects, and now the biomass of insects is greatly reduced… what are the trickle down effects on everything from that?

If these fish are sterile, that would mean potentially (assuming they are a fish that is absolutely immune to disease) and they get loose, that you will have the natural fish outcompeted for the ecological niche, and less stock around to breed when the super fish finally die of old age. The reduction of smaller catfish has what effect on other species?

The argument against genetic engineering is that we don’t understand what we are doing, and it’s ramifications, not that it’s unhealthy to eat the stuff… again assuming it’s not poisonous (which is easily tested… roundup ready corn doesn’t kill pigs/cows/dogs/people directly.

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

tu2 beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Wow. If I could grow breasts, I’d never leave the house.

I’m sorry. I couldn’t resist. Wink

Posts: 7576 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
People have some pretty odd ideas…

While I agree that genetic manipulation can have some very severe consequences to the environment, the idea that this will harm people in and of itself is silly.

If a fish has DNA in it, a regular (unengineered) fish will cause just as much trouble as any engineered fish (or corn) as long as it is not poisonous. Your body breaks down the DNA along with the proteins etc and utilizes the building blocks to make your own proteins, DNA, whatnot.

Roundup ready corn’s DNA can’t harm you any more than any other corn- although, I suppose the enzyme the DNA codes for could be poisonous.

The issue would be that we are tinkering with the genetics of something that may have unintended consequences for our environment and the ecology.

Say you develop corn that is immune to insects, and now the biomass of insects is greatly reduced… what are the trickle down effects on everything from that?

If these fish are sterile, that would mean potentially (assuming they are a fish that is absolutely immune to disease) and they get loose, that you will have the natural fish outcompeted for the ecological niche, and less stock around to breed when the super fish finally die of old age. The reduction of smaller catfish has what effect on other species?

The argument against genetic engineering is that we don’t understand what we are doing, and it’s ramifications, not that it’s unhealthy to eat the stuff… again assuming it’s not poisonous (which is easily tested… roundup ready corn doesn’t kill pigs/cows/dogs/people directly.

Yeah. Supposedly the triploid grass carp a previous landowner put in my pond aren't supposed to be able to reproduce. Guess what they did?

Nature finds a way.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Let us not forget America financings Wuhan! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68612 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote