Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelosi Tells It Like It Is Login/Join 
one of us
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhwA-H3OnBM She is intelligent, can get legislation passed, knows how to govern, believes in the Constitution, and has put up with a lot of crap from MAGA Morons who display half her intelligence.

And, for 83 she's not a bad looking woman.

(The Republicans, on the other hand, have trash like Boebert and Greene who treat serving in Congress like it is just some televised reality show.)

If you want to bitch about Pelosi, tell me what she says here that isn't the truth.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I know it's barely noon but I will nominate this for dumbest post of the day. Day drinking again?

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to bitch about Pelosi, tell me what she says here that isn't the truth.

Thank you blue, you proved my point. Everything she said is true. Now go back to playing with yourself.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
You made the assertion so you tell us what is true about her. She is a despicable woman.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I know it's barely noon but I will nominate this for dumbest post of the day. Day drinking again?

Poor old kensco's estrogen treatments are overwhelming her......or she's been spending time with mangina again.....

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know a single right winger republican who did not cash those stimulus checks. Let's not forget the ACA. Now tell me what any republican has accomplished.

Posts: 15874 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wympie,

I never got a stimulus check and wouldn't have cashed it if I had. Amazing that anyone would think Pelosi was anything but totally crooked.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nute
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't much about know the woman, I disagree with her crusade to get Trump impeached when it was never going to go anywhere, but the first 5 mins of the interview (all I watched as I have work to do) I can't see that she -
a) made shit up on the fly
b) lied about anything
c) was anything except respectful about the republican party

Posts: 7164 | Location: Ban pre shredded cheese - make America grate again... | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:

jumping jumping jumping

Nah, Fish, grandma sometimes takes all her meds early

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38463 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the ACA.
It was going to drop insurance prices. Mine doubled. I called my Congressman who voted for it and asked what the hell. " Well, it didnt turn out like we expected"
My nephew couldnt get a doctor for 3 yrs after turning 18. He was told to use the ER for everything until he was accepted on a plan.
I cashed my stimulus checks. One I got my daughter to take. She flat out refused any monetary help in college, she was going to do it herself. I told her it was not my money.
The others I cashed, put in blank envelopes and dropped them in the mailboxes of young families around town, screwed over by the shutdowns.
I dont take anything I have not earned.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
Yeah, the ACA.
It was going to drop insurance prices. Mine doubled. I called my Congressman who voted for it and asked what the hell. " Well, it didnt turn out like we expected"
My nephew couldnt get a doctor for 3 yrs after turning 18. He was told to use the ER for everything until he was accepted on a plan.
I cashed my stimulus checks. One I got my daughter to take. She flat out refused any monetary help in college, she was going to do it herself. I told her it was not my money.
The others I cashed, put in blank envelopes and dropped them in the mailboxes of young families around town, screwed over by the shutdowns.

BS. Rates were increasing double digits every damn year before the ACA. Millions of people got coverage who had none before, and I know quite a few of them myself. If your rates doubled you should have gone shopping. Don't forget that the GOP and trump did everything they could to destroy the program.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Yeah, the ACA.

BS. Rates were increasing double digits every damn year before the ACA. Millions of people got coverage who had none before, and I know quite a few of them myself. If your rates doubled you should have gone shopping.

yeah, not "close enough" - I have been paying for insurance for, well, since the 80s, and while I complained about 3-5% increases, the ACA actually allowed for insurance companies to increase premiums @ 14% - I am CURRENTLY paying more than triple what I was paying before ACA, in premiums, and 7x for co-pays, and about 5x in deductibles.

Your rather limited experience is expressed by your statement that someone should go shopping for insurance shows a total lack of knowledge on how MOST people buy health insurance, that is, through their employment - I generally have 3 choices - high deductible, which has a fairly low premium and is aimed at younger employees which tend to not have health issues, the "standard" PPO - aimed at the bulk of employees and age ranges, and then the "buy up" plan, with 2x premiums over the standard PPO, but better payouts, aimed at making medical costs for older employees or those with chronic conditions, can pay for their health care insurance in pre-tax dollars -

oh, for the record, the standard and buy-up plans are colloquially called "cadillac plans" and once were targeted at being taxed as income to put more money back in ACA pool.

Without a doubt no one intended premiums to double every couple years, but they did. It's a failure of the legislation

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son was able to find barely affordable health insurance for his family of six by going through the ACA. Otherwise, since he is self-employed and has no pool of employees, it would have been unaffordable.

Posts: 6106 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the things the ACA did was mandate some conditions that have to be covered. These tended to be either chronic conditions with very low cure rates (drug treatment being an example) or extremely expensive treatments (port wine stains).

They eliminated the old fashioned true catastrophic care insurance (in other words, very high deductible hospital only coverage).

A lot of this was pushed for by organized medicine- who frankly have a very biased opinion on it.

They also changed preexisting condition requirements. Now, you don’t need to buy insurance until you need it to some extent…

All of these and adding many people to the user end of the pool resulted in huge increases in costs for the end users.

While I don’t disagree that the insurance industry was playing games before, they still are, and what’s more, they were involved in writing the ACA. They got guaranteed customers, and got to standardize their exception policies.

One of the results of the games played in the ACA came to roost with Covid.

Given the excuse, a huge number of folks got out of health care.

Now you are paying the price in decreased hospital bed availability and prolonged wait times as the administrative overhead and decreased productivity/pay issues drive people out.

It’s not direct from the ACA, but rather unintended consequences of their decisions.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our Dem gov allowed only two insurance companies with the rules they put forward. Guess what? There wasnt a nikels worth of cost savings between them. It was suppose to save everyone money. How is any increase a "savings"? Why were they so dishonest with costs and keeping your doctor?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Our Dem gov allowed only two insurance companies with the rules they put forward. Guess what? There wasnt a nikels worth of cost savings between them. It was suppose to save everyone money. How is any increase a "savings"? Why were they so dishonest with costs and keeping your doctor?

That is a cogent point - the ACA "promised" lower costs overall --

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A single example shows why healthcare costs have skyrocketed.

Paxlovid, Pfizer's widely-prescribed COVID treatment, costs Pfizer about $14 for a 5-day course.

They just announced it will cost $1,390 for a 5-day course.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9568 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the solution is free healthcare for all? Like 90% of the rest of the civilized world?

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15056 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Mitchell:
Maybe the solution is free healthcare for all? Like 90% of the rest of the civilized world?

If by "Free" you mean single payer - yes, that would provide a safety net for those not working/lower end of the taxpayer spectrum / younger workers who aren't likely to need to draw down the funds of the system. In fact, it would be cheaper for a large swath of the population, even though they would be taxed, directly or indirectly, for the service. This is very different that medicare/medicade which many doctors refuse to accept new patients on. It would also mean that service providers (doctors, nurses, etc) COULD face lower wages - comparable to a state provided attorney vs a private attorney.

"free"
in the UK
quote:
The vast majority of public1 NHS funding comes from general taxation and National Insurance contributions (NICs).

The brits describe it as just enough healthcare to keep the pax payers paying taxes - an interesting aside, one of my employees broke a bone in their arm - when he went to NHS, he was advised that it could be 6 weeks before he could have further care, past the emergency care and brace - when he mentioned he had private insurance (like a US employee) he was able to see a doctor in private practice HOURS the next days - private practice hours are when the doc isn't working from the state at a state facility
In Canada
quote:
Canada has a decentralized, universal, publicly funded health system called Canadian Medicare. Health care is funded and administered primarily by the country’s 13 provinces and territories. Each has its own insurance plan, and each receives cash assistance from the federal government on a per-capita basis. Benefits and delivery approaches vary. All citizens and permanent residents, however, receive medically necessary hospital and physician services free at the point of use. To pay for excluded services, including outpatient prescription drugs and dental care, provinces and territories provide some coverage for targeted groups. In addition, about two-thirds of Canadians have private insurance.

in China
quote:
No matter where you live and how much you are covered, the way healthcare in China works will require you to pay for the services upfront and out of your own pocket. Depending on the insurance scheme and treatment, you may be reimbursed for some of the costs or none at all.

As for what does the public healthcare covers, it is worth noting that there are some gaps in the public health system. For example, it doesn’t usually cover the cost of emergency transportation, nor grant you access to private facilities. Also, even if you have access to public health insurance, your non-working family members may not be covered

In OZ
quote:
The costs of healthcare in Australia are covered through taxes

in NZ
quote:
The public healthcare system in New Zealand operates as a single-payer healthcare system. The government pays for the majority of healthcare costs using public tax money – up to 9% of New Zealand's GDP.

in India
quote:
The Indian government has recently established a National Health Protection Scheme called, Ayushman Bharat, or PM-JAY, which is financed by taxes.

in Germany
quote:
The sickness funds (mandatory healthcare insurance) are financed through wage contributions at 14.6% shared equally by the employee and employer.

In Japan
quote:
Japan's public healthcare system is known as SHI or Social Health Insurance. SHI applies to everyone who is employed full-time with a medium or large company. Approximately 5% is deducted from salaries to pay for SHI, and employers match this cost.

In Singapore
quote:
Singapore's public healthcare is funded by taxes, which only cover about one-fourth of Singapore's total health costs. Individuals and their employers pay for the rest in the form of mandatory life insurance schemes and deductions from the compulsory savings plan or the Central Provident Fund (CPF)

In France
quote:
France runs a statutory health insurance (SHI) system providing universal coverage for its residents. The system is financed through employee and employer contributions, and increasingly by earmarked taxes on a broad range of revenues

State provided healthcare is universally substandard as compared to the SAME care, in the same country, under private healthcare / cash.
There's reasons why people travel to the US for the "best" healthcare

#dumptrump

476AR,

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:
A single example shows why healthcare costs have skyrocketed.

Paxlovid, Pfizer's widely-prescribed COVID treatment, costs Pfizer about $14 for a 5-day course.

They just announced it will cost $1,390 for a 5-day course.

you are not wrong, as the US pays, by a HUGE rate, the highest medicine costs in the world - and largely because medicare/medicade is legal bound to NOT use collective bargaining for better prices

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Except the free healthcare is both rationed and if the government decides it isn’t covered, you’re up a creek.

Look at some of the ugly schemes they came up with in early Covid to show abuses that will be common- government handpicking who gets care and who doesn’t.

Posts: 10602 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:

Except the free healthcare is both rationed and if the government decides it isn’t covered, you’re up a creek.

Look at some of the ugly schemes they came up with in early Covid to show abuses that will be common- government handpicking who gets care and who doesn’t.

i would recommend skipping the part where New York decided the that the correct standard of care was to place actively infected covid patients in nursing homes

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

If by "Free" you mean single payer - yes, that would provide a safety net for those not working/lower end of the taxpayer spectrum / younger workers who aren't likely to need to draw down the funds of the system. In fact, it would be cheaper for a large swath of the population, even though they would be taxed, directly or indirectly, for the service. This is very different that medicare/medicade which many doctors refuse to accept new patients on. It would also mean that service providers (doctors, nurses, etc) COULD face lower wages - comparable to a state provided attorney vs a private attorney.

"free"
in the UK
quote:
The vast majority of public1 NHS funding comes from general taxation and National Insurance contributions (NICs).

The brits describe it as just enough healthcare to keep the pax payers paying taxes - an interesting aside, one of my employees broke a bone in their arm - when he went to NHS, he was advised that it could be 6 weeks before he could have further care, past the emergency care and brace - when he mentioned he had private insurance (like a US employee) he was able to see a doctor in private practice HOURS the next days - private practice hours are when the doc isn't working from the state at a state facility
In Canada
quote:
Canada has a decentralized, universal, publicly funded health system called Canadian Medicare. Health care is funded and administered primarily by the country’s 13 provinces and territories. Each has its own insurance plan, and each receives cash assistance from the federal government on a per-capita basis. Benefits and delivery approaches vary. All citizens and permanent residents, however, receive medically necessary hospital and physician services free at the point of use. To pay for excluded services, including outpatient prescription drugs and dental care, provinces and territories provide some coverage for targeted groups. In addition, about two-thirds of Canadians have private insurance.

in China
quote:
No matter where you live and how much you are covered, the way healthcare in China works will require you to pay for the services upfront and out of your own pocket. Depending on the insurance scheme and treatment, you may be reimbursed for some of the costs or none at all.

As for what does the public healthcare covers, it is worth noting that there are some gaps in the public health system. For example, it doesn’t usually cover the cost of emergency transportation, nor grant you access to private facilities. Also, even if you have access to public health insurance, your non-working family members may not be covered

In OZ
quote:

in NZ
quote:
The public healthcare system in New Zealand operates as a single-payer healthcare system. The government pays for the majority of healthcare costs using public tax money – up to 9% of New Zealand's GDP.

in India
quote:
The Indian government has recently established a National Health Protection Scheme called, Ayushman Bharat, or PM-JAY, which is financed by taxes.

in Germany
quote:
The sickness funds (mandatory healthcare insurance) are financed through wage contributions at 14.6% shared equally by the employee and employer.

In Japan
quote:
Japan's public healthcare system is known as SHI or Social Health Insurance. SHI applies to everyone who is employed full-time with a medium or large company. Approximately 5% is deducted from salaries to pay for SHI, and employers match this cost.

In Singapore
quote:
Singapore's public healthcare is funded by taxes, which only cover about one-fourth of Singapore's total health costs. Individuals and their employers pay for the rest in the form of mandatory life insurance schemes and deductions from the compulsory savings plan or the Central Provident Fund (CPF)

In France
quote:
France runs a statutory health insurance (SHI) system providing universal coverage for its residents. The system is financed through employee and employer contributions, and increasingly by earmarked taxes on a broad range of revenues

State provided healthcare is universally substandard as compared to the SAME care, in the same country, under private healthcare / cash.

These countries you site are far less expensive than the US and the health care is hardly inferior. My cousin took her cancer stricken daughter to Germany for health care that isn't even approved here. She is still with us. Here they gave her 2 months.

https://health.usnews.com/heal...niversal-health-care

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I know. 90% of the civilized world wants our fucked up health-care system. Right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:

"free"
in the UK
quote:

In Canada
quote:

in China
quote:

In OZ
quote:

in NZ
quote:

in India
quote:

in Germany
quote:

In Japan
quote:

In Singapore
quote:

In France
quote:

These countries you site are far less expensive than the US and the health care is hardly inferior. My cousin took her cancer stricken daughter to Germany for health care that isn't even approved here. She is still with us. Here they gave her 2 months.

https://health.usnews.com/heal...niversal-health-care

It's an informative post and I appreciate Jeffe going to the effort but socialized medicine is better than what we have. Period. Everybody knows it. The only reason it doesn't happen is because of the health insurance lobby. Wouldn't want the health insurance carriers making less than a qazillion dollars next year.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
You may be right, Mike -

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
90% want something for nothing.

The vast majority want to get their care for free when they want or need it. It doesn't work that way.

The folks in Canada while they love the payment system for Canadian health care generally dislike the delays and waits and lack of specialty availability-- why would so many go across the border and pay cash if they could get it for free?

How would you like having to wait for a few days before they could cath you to decide if you have a heart attack that can be treated?

Our system is probably one of the best for availability and speed of care. Its also one of the worst for cost effectiveness and overall price.

Very similar to our legal system in many ways.

quote:
quote:
quote:

I know. 90% of the civilized world wants our fucked up health-care system. Right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I’ll just be honest. My Mams (adopted mother) has Medicare. The waits for specialists after referrals are ridiculous.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Nah the government never screws up and always makes things better. Funny one of the lawyers here who supposedly understands the system of our government and intent of the founders thinks more government is the answer.

One of Us
Picture of Bivoj
posted Hide Post
ACA screwed up free market but helped with insuring preexisting conditions
Ultimately, how about insurance for catastrophic illnesses but cash for regular visits
I really have no answer in any of this
In the end , life is one big gamble of how long you can survive

Nothing like standing over your own kill

Posts: 617 | Location: Wherever hunting is good and Go Trump | Registered: 17 June 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Well, I’ll just be honest. My Mams (adopted mother) has Medicare. The waits for specialists after referrals are ridiculous.

That’s to some extent a result of the whole Covid reaction by government.

They pushed a bunch of folks out of medicine (reducing capacity) and by shutting things down created a huge backlog that is not really going away.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rural hospitals closing aren't helping things - as now some people have to drive an hour or more to "get a bed" -
https://comptroller.texas.gov/...22/oct/hospitals.php

frankly these rural hospitals and clinics are exactly what I think the government should be supporting - even if it's a nurse practitioner performing basic medicine and nurses/med tech super gluing cuts together and giving shots

#dumptrump

476AR,