Notify
Tools

Adam Schiff—a scourge to freedom Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
quote:
“We Don’t Do This”: Adam Schiff and the Underbelly of American Censorship
Below is my column in the Hill on the recent disclosure of efforts by Rep. Adam Schiff (D., Cal.) to pressure Twitter to censor critics, including a columnist. This effort occurred shortly after Schiff’s office objected to one of my columns accusing him of pressuring social media companies to censor those with opposing views. While publicly denying that he supports censorship, Schiff was secretly pressuring Twitter to censor an array of critics.

Here is the column:

“We don’t do this.” That response from Twitter to Rep. Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) is a singular indictment, coming at the height of Twitter’s censorship operations. Apparently, there were some things that even Twitter’s censors refused to do.

One of those things was silencing critics of Schiff and his House committee.

In the latest tranche of “Twitter Files,” journalist Matt Taibbi revealed that Twitter balked at Schiff’s demand that Twitter suspend an array of posters or label their content as “misinformation” and “reduce the visibility” of them. Among those who Schiff secretly tried to censor was New York Post columnist Paul Sperry.

Sperry drew Schiff’s ire by writing about a conversation allegedly overheard by one of his sources. Sperry’s article, which appeared in RealClearInvestigations, cited two sources as overhearing two White House staffers discussing how to remove newly-elected President Trump from office. The article raised the possibility of bias on the part of an alleged key player in launching the first Trump impeachment, CIA analyst Eric Ciaramella. The sources reportedly said that Ciaramella was in a conversation with Sean Misko, a holdover from the Obama administration who later joined Schiff’s staff. The conversation — in Sperry’s words — showed that “just days after [Trump] was sworn in they were already trying to get rid of him.”

Rather than simply refute the allegation, Schiff wanted Sperry and other critics silenced. His office reportedly laid out steps to cleanse Twitter of their criticism, including an instruction to “remove any and all content about Mr. Misko and other Committee staff from its service — to include quotes, retweets, and reactions to that content.”

The date of Schiff’s non-public letter in November 2020 is notable: Earlier that year, I wrote a column for The Hill criticizing Schiff for pushing for censorship of misinformation in a letter that he sent to social media companies. His office promptly objected to the very suggestion that Schiff supported censorship.

We now know Schiff was actively seeking to censor specific critics on social media. These likely were viewed as more than “requests” since Schiff was sending public letters threatening possible legislative action against these same companies. He wanted his critics silenced on social media. After all, criticizing his investigations or staff must, by definition, be misinformation — right?

His office seems to have indicated they knew Twitter was using shadow-banning or other techniques to suppress certain disfavored writers. In the letter, his staff asked Twitter to “label and reduce the visibility of any content.”

Twitter, however, drew the line with Schiff; one of its employees simply wrote, “no, this isn’t feasible/we don’t do this.”

The “this” referred to in this case was raw political censorship. And even a company that maintained one of the largest censorship programs in history could not bring itself to do what Schiff was demanding — but the demand itself is telling.

Not only does it show how dishonest some politicians have been in denying censorship while secretly demanding it, it also shows the insatiable appetite created by censorship. The article in question, written by Sperry, is a good example. Sperry has denied ever supporting QAnon conspiracy theories, as Schiff’s office charged. Yet even if Sperry’s account about Schiff’s staffer was wildly untrue, that should make it easier to rebut publicly.

The move by Schiff to ban Sperry and others on Twitter — and to remove content — is highly ironic. Schiff has been criticized repeatedly for promoting “misinformation” and for relying on unidentified “sources” for his claims of Trump’s criminality. For example, Schiff pushed the false claim that the infamous Hunter Biden laptop was Russian disinformation; he also was criticized for pushing false narratives of Trump-Russia collusion in the 2016 election.

Nevertheless, I would equally oppose any effort to ban Schiff from social media, although that is hardly likely given the demonstrated political bias of past censorship efforts.

As for Sperry, he was later permanently suspended by Twitter, which I also criticized.

Schiff is unlikely to be deterred by the release of these communications. He recently sent a letter to Facebook, warning it not to relax its censorship efforts. His letter, written with Reps. André Carson (D-Ind.), Kathy Castor (D-Fla.) and Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.), reminded Facebook that some lawmakers are watching the company “as part of our ongoing oversight efforts” — and suggested they may be forced to exercise that oversight into any move by Facebook to “alter or rollback certain misinformation policies.”

Schiff’s actions embody the slippery slope of censorship. By labeling his critics as QAnon supporters or purveyors of “misinformation,” he sought to have allies in social media “disappear” critics like Sperry — yet he found that even those allies could not stomach his demands. Given Twitter’s censorship of even satirical sites, it was akin to being turned down by a Kanye West podcast as being too extreme.

With the disclosure of apparent FBI involvement in Twitter’s censorship program, the release of the Schiff files is another rare insight into how government officials attempted to enlist social media companies for censorship by surrogate or proxy. That is precisely why many in the media, political and business establishments have mobilized against Elon Musk, the new owner of Twitter who has released these compromising files.

In a recent tweet, Schiff chastised Musk and demanded more answers from the Twitter CEO. While insisting that “I don’t support censorship,” Schiff asked Musk if he would “commit to providing the public with actual answers and data, not just tweets?” Well, Musk just did precisely that.

The “actual answer” is that Schiff has long sought to silence his critics, and Musk has exposed the underbelly of censorship — which is where we found Adam Schiff.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guy is simply a "prick".
But: Congress is full of them on both sides of the isle.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turley. Always a reliable republican schill.

Dr. Easter, I find it amusing that you think somebody trying to influence media is a scourge to freedom but you are prepared to vote for a presidential candidate who tried to overturn a presidential election and fomented a riot at the US Capital as part of the effort. 2020

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15157 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Turley — an unbiased commentator.

The election was irregular due to rules fomented by the pandemic. It needed discussing and needs review.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36719 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the article it appears Twitter rejected Rep. Schiff’s attempt.

I have as much use for him as I do Greene. Whether the source is true or not is for the reader to decide. I do not know nor have anything to confirm or rebuke.

Posts: 11035 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Yep even Jack Dorsey’s Twitter rejected Schiff’s BS.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll play the look over there game:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...460dabd897a3fb0194b4

Fox News Anchor Puts the Screws to Matt Gaetz Following McCarthy Circus: ‘Do You Consider Yourself a Serious Legislator?’
Story by Joe DePaolo • 3h ago

================================================

Looks like even Fox has limits.

===============================================

BTW, if one deems Adam Schiff a scrounge to freedom, then I think such a person is fascist fodder, at least, and fascist activist at worst. How can fascism be equated to "freedom"? Schiff did his best to thwart the GOPer fascist movement. Yet somehow, it's interpreted that he's a threat to "freedom".

Go figure.

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Per my far-right friend: "reality sucks"

FYI - if you ID as "conservative" nowadays, Trump owns you.

Posts: 19820 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gaetz is not a serious legislator. If all you can do is complain about “bad things” wo offering any legislation to fix them that can pass, you are not a serious legislator.

If you support such people, then you are not a serious person when it comes to voting.

I am still waiting for Gatez to quit Congress like he said he would.

Posts: 11035 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ya wanna bet that MTG and the sex trafficker Gaetz are fuckin each other - literally?

XXX

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Posts: 19820 | Location: Depends on the Season | Registered: 17 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't talk about a democrat! They will deflect.......

Democrats march in lockstep......right or wrpmg!

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If lockstep is opposition to GOPer fascism, Trumpism - and support of constitutionalism - then so be it.

A united front against dysfunction, pseudo patriotism, and fascism is far better than what the GOPers have demonstrated lately.

Thanks for uniting and motivating us.

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Turley — an unbiased commentator.

The election was irregular due to rules fomented by the pandemic. It needed discussing and needs review.

There is zero evidence of any fraud and you've never produced or cited to any.

The election reform you and yours propose is designed to suppress Dem turnout and increase the GOP's chances of winning.

Period. The fraud is the narrative you advance.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15157 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that GA was accused of having voter suppression laws- yet we elected 2 Dem senators and a Rep governor( by a LARGE margin)…. jumping tu2

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proof that democracy still works, despite GOPer efforts to depress it.

Roll Eyes

XXX

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
What absolute horseshit. Democracy worked because the basic premise of voter suppression was a fucking lie made up by the media. thumbdown

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13183 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDollar: Do you think GA would have passed it voting overall had a Dem not win a close race for Senate in 2020?

I do not think the GA legislature would have passed the voting overhaul had the Rs won those Senate races.

As for irregularities” what were the irregularities that caused R to loose the Senate Races this time across the USA?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say again any law or regulation concerning voting that was put in place by a governor, mayor, judge or anyone other than the state legislature is illegal

Posts: 1853 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
offtopic

Wow, Schiff is such a known liar that NO AR people come on to defend him — not even SS.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
MAGA Trump ass-kissers pretending they are moral authorities? That's rich. Not even worthy of a response.

Posts: 13788 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Schiff is a complete SOS doesn’t excuse the GOP versions of him.

While the GOP policies better align with my beliefs, I’m under no illusion that the GOP congresscritters are better people (or worse, for that matter…) than the democrats.

Office seekers tend to be narcissistic and in an echo chamber.

And don’t forget that power corrupts.

Given that…

Term limits are needed.

The office seekers should have their assets managed in a blind account until they are out.

Elected representatives should be banned for at least 5 years from lobbying.

Elected office holders should be prevented from taking salary, honoraria, gifts, or other income from any political organization (especially their campaign or PAC) for a term equivalent to their term of service.

Politician pay should be capped at the top 10th percentile of their district’s income.

I would also pay politicians spouses and subject them to the above as well.

Posts: 10684 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
GOPers are better because they are not a (D) vote if nothing else.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
What absolute horseshit. Democracy worked because the basic premise of voter suppression was a fucking lie made up by the media. thumbdown

Then why were GOPers so hot to trot to legislate voting law changes after they lost? And the excuses they made? Roll Eyes

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5S3sRFlNj0

Video LEAKS of Trump HOSTING Fascist Weekend Party in Mar-A-Lago

XXX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I won't defend Schiff--just another phony politician.

But I don't see what all the fuss is about. He ASKED a private entity to censor. He didn't threaten them with federal process. He didn't offer any inducement or threat, he just asked. And they turned him down.

Doesn't say much about his character, that he can't take criticism, but I can think of a politician on the other side who can't take criticism either.

Posts: 6186 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is zero evidence of any fraud and you've never produced or cited to any.

A few days ago I posted about a good bit of voter fraud, and it was GOP. The topic was crickets for responses.

https://youtu.be/gboaTq3GsnA

Posts: 15886 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
offtopic

Wow, Schiff is such a known liar that NO AR people come on to defend him — not even SS.

One has to wonder how many innocent people were jailed by Schoof when he was US Attorney. A lying asshat like him will use anyone and anything to polish his resume. No doubt he had lying informants and suppressed evidence during his tenure.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:
I will say again any law or regulation concerning voting that was put in place by a governor, mayor, judge or anyone other than the state legislature is illegal

And you would be correct.

If that would have taken place and republicans had been the winners, cities would be burning again......

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As opposed to a group trying to overthrow the government, you mean?

Posts: 6186 | Location: Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, USA | Registered: 08 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by MLindsay:

And you would be correct.

If that would have taken place and republicans had been the winners, cities would be burning again......

What is your excuse for loosing GA Senate plus 4 more this time.

Oh, the KY State Constitution explicitly requires the Gov who is a D and the Sec of State who is an R to produce election procedure in a Declared State of Emergency.

They did, more people voted legally. Rs still won.

No, the blues in National Election (President) have about 5 percent more poker chips then the Reds. You have two options modular to skill off enough votes to win, or keep as many of the Blues home as possible.

Cities did not burn as Roland points out your Faction just assaulted my Congress and tried to keep your guy in power. Of course, with your guy as Commander and Chief refusing to stop them,

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
More info out now about how Twitter initially tried to wave Schiff, Blumenthal, and others of of this Russian dysinformation by bots narrative as they could tell from the raw data there was no truth to it.

The Senators and others marched on with their lies.

It looks like Twitter held the line (of free American speec) pretty well until initially but eventually were succumbed when the intelligence community piled on.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magine Enigam:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Then why were GOPers so hot to trot to legislate voting law changes after they lost? And the excuses they made? Roll Eyes

Unlike the democrats these voting law changes the Republicans where working wasn't to weigh the scales in their favor.... It was to ensure that voting was fair and legal.

That's why you lefties can't understand it.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/elilake/st...rtE8Uk2Yg24NDxaAImfg

J. Lane Easter, DVM