New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do bullets sound like? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HdgyoGdyV0

Maybe reports of bullet hum are not so outlandish.

Posts: 3772 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HdgyoGdyV0

Maybe reports of bullet hum are not so outlandish.

Every time they referred to the sound they used the word "crack". A supersonic bullet sounds much more like a whip cracking that it does a "whiz", or like a big mosquito.

A subsonic fragment after it impacts something, or a piece of debris knocked loose by a bullet, particularly if it is spinning, can sound like what Trump described.

Further, if he had been struck by a bullet directly he would have felt it before he heard it.

Way back in the Long Ago I drew "Pit Detail" in Basic Training and spent a day working downrange on the 100 meter Known Distance range, hanging targets and showing hits with the standard circle on a long stick. In the course of a day several thousand M16 rounds passed just overhead, and not a single one whizzed or buzzed. They made a distinct crack.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10284 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience in the pits pulling targets back in the day for NRA Highpower is the same.

It’s a crack.

Either way way someone made an attempt on a political candidates life. And as the younger generation likes to say “that is not ok”.

As for what he heard or thinks he heard, we all know eye witness testimony is the worst.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with you. But, as demonstrated by the subsonic 9mm footage, bullets do hum. I think what is happening is that the hum is overpowered by the supersonic crack. Now, when a bullet passes within inches of the ear, the hum may be more perceptable to the observer. This, likely what happened in Trump's case.

quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:
My experience in the pits pulling targets back in the day for NRA Highpower is the same.

It’s a crack.

Either way way someone made an attempt on a political candidates life. And as the younger generation likes to say “that is not ok”.

As for what he heard or thinks he heard, we all know eye witness testimony is the worst.

Posts: 3772 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9mm goes subsonic pretty fast and to my knowledge none were fored at Trump.

Any rifle bullett would have still been sonic at that range.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9mm bullets were well subsonic. I think it is highly unlikely that one would hear any sort of "hum" from a supersonic bullet. Like many on here, I have heard thousands of supersonic shots overhead and it's a crack or a snap, not a hum or a whiz. Whatever, Trump was lucky it was just the tip of his ear. Bill.

Posts: 3738 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If my father-in-law was still alive, I'm sure he could tell what several different calibers sounded like. He spent 18 yrs in special ops and had 4 purple hearts.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobster:
I am in agreement with you. But, as demonstrated by the subsonic 9mm footage, bullets do hum. I think what is happening is that the hum is overpowered by the supersonic crack. Now, when a bullet passes within inches of the ear, the hum may be more perceptable to the observer. This, likely what happened in Trump's case.

quote:
Originally posted by Hasher:

It’s a crack.

If a supersonic bullet passed 1/2" from your ear ALL you would hear would be the loudest "crack" of your life, and that would be even more true if it actually contacted your ear on the way past.

Keep trying to figure out some way Trump "got shot" if you like, but the Laws of Physics rarely change much.

He got scratched by either a bullet fragment or, much more likely, a chip off the teleprompter, either of which would have been subsonic and capable of sounding as he described.

Posts: 10284 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jefffive:

He got scratched by either a bullet fragment or, much more likely, a chip off the teleprompter

"He got scratched". Nice, try and downplay it all you want, but it was an assassination attempt with a high powered rifle, that came within fractions of an inch of killing him.

"He got scratched"...

I'll bet good money that while you, Jefffive, worked in the pits at the range, no bullet ever got that close to you.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep trying to figure out some way Trump "got shot" if you like, but the Laws of Physics rarely change much.

He got scratched by either a bullet fragment or, much more likely, a chip off the teleprompter, either of which would have been subsonic and capable of sounding as he described.

at least 6, likely 7 bullets fired at him, killing one person, wounding three, and you want to play games...

fine, let's accept YOUR supposition that he was hit by a piece off a broken teleprompter --

what caused the teleprompter to break? Or are you saying that it wasn't actual murder and attempted murder?

you know that the LAW doesn't give you a pass on all related charges if you can't shoot, right? well, in peckerwood county, the kleagle might just give you a stern talking to

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39451 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet.:
quote:

He got scratched by either a bullet fragment or, much more likely, a chip off the teleprompter

"He got scratched". Nice, try and downplay it all you want, but it was an assassination attempt with a high powered rifle, that came within fractions of an inch of killing him.

"He got scratched"...

I'll bet good money that while you, Jefffive, worked in the pits at the range, no bullet ever got that close to you.

Nope, none within a few feet, we were under an overhang below ground level.

Later on I made much closer acquaintance with three bullets, two from handguns from fairly close and one from an AK that was entirely subsonic by the time it got to me. Still hurt a mite, but didn't "crack".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One person dead. Two critically wounded. Trump got hit by something and all we have is people trying to spin it that all of this makes trump an evil liar.

It’s pathetic.

Hold tight for move vile tactics from our left wing parrots.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the OP:

As a younger man, I was firing a Colt Ace in .22 LR at a target with a brick wall behind it (dumbass) about 25 feet in front of me and had a ricochet come straight back at me and pass by my left hear. Close. I felt the vibration from it. It was a whizzing sound punctuated by the rotation of the round. Actually, I wouldn't use the word whizzing, I'd say it was a buzzing like a bee or a hornet.

Another time, a buddy was trying to zero a Norinco AK in 5.56 but we didn't have any optics, just open sights. Set up a target 100 yards away and I hid behind a building about 30 yards away and way in front of and away from the target. The rounds coming in sounded like fabric/canvas tearing. I didn't hear any sonic crack, just a ripping sound.

-Every damn thing is your own fault if you are any good.

Posts: 15873 | Registered: 20 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to set up a pig's ear, a mic and a recorder at 140 yards and shoot thru the ear with a 5.56mm round and record the sound. Should settle a few arguments.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

Posts: 1498 | Location: IOWA | Registered: 27 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back to the OP:

I was elk hunting at Yellow Jacket Pass, near Craig, CO, many years ago, and jumped some elk on a hillside. They ran to the top and I knew there was a camp in the clearing, and, sure enough, several rounds were fired over my head.

I was in no danger, as I was 50 yards below the crest, but I did hear bullets 'whiz' overhead. Mike has a good description of what I heard.

Jefffive, would you be willing to elaborate on your experience? And I am sincere in asking that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k-22hornet.:
Back to the OP:

I was elk hunting at Yellow Jacket Pass, near Craig, CO, many years ago, and jumped some elk on a hillside. They ran to the top and I knew there was a camp in the clearing, and, sure enough, several rounds were fired over my head.

I was in no danger, as I was 50 yards below the crest, but I did hear bullets 'whiz' overhead. Mike has a good description of what I heard.

Jefffive, would you be willing to elaborate on your experience? And I am sincere in asking that.

The two handguns were private matters, one a .25ACP from about 2 feet, I was sufficiently drunk at the time that I was more offended that he would shoot me with a mouse gun than injured, after the fight concluded I removed the bullet with my fingernails, still have one rib slightly out of alignment, not other lasting effects. The other was a .38 Special from about 10 feet, mushroomed on its way through my wallet and made an impressive but shallow crater in my right cheek, bled like hell, made sitting damned inconvenient for about a month.

The AK was in a sandy place where we had no Army troops, just`some Marines, fired from just a smidge over 600 yards away, a "golden bb" because the shooter was just shooting blindly in the direction a single shot had come from and never saw me or anyone else who may or may not have been present and didn't have a direct line of sight from his position to my foot; it basically fell on me with some enthusiasm. Ruined a perfectly good combat boot, impacted the top of the bone behind my big toe, slid around it and exited pretty much exactly opposite the entry below the bone, no fracture but when I got to a medic he just sliced around from the entry to the exit, cleaned everything and threw in a dozen quick stitches. Left more scar than was necessary but I never contemplated a career as a foot model so no big deal.

That one made no crack or buzz, just felt like a hammer hit my foot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then there are people who report being shot and not knowing it until they saw the blood.

Give me a home where the buffalo roam and I'll show you a house full of buffalo shit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ANTELOPEDUNDEE:
Then there are people who report being shot and not knowing it until they saw the blood.

I would assume those don't hit bone.

You feel that.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Weird I was shot at once while I was Elk hunting and I didn't here The Crack? I could here the bullet go buy as it went over our heads!!!

Posts: 2603 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You feel that.

Having treated a few GSW's, its mostly as Jeffive points out... with the exception of folks who are really heavily under the influence of drugs. Bone hits tend to hurt and make folks drop. Bullet wounds that hit only soft tissue can be remarkably variable in how much pain the person complains of... supposedly, (as in I have read but never seen) heart shot folks would be acting like nothing happened until they dropped dead- but some of the most vocal about pain have been folks who were hit in fat areas...

Everyone responds differently to things. One guy who had been shot twice said that the first time it hurt like a SOB, but the second he didn't notice until his pant leg was dripping with blood...

I do find it interesting that so many shooters have not heard gunshots going by them... maybe all the gun safety stuff works?

Pit duty does let you hear regular rifle fire quite well.

Posts: 10955 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:

You feel that.

Having treated a few GSW's, its mostly as Jeffive points out... with the exception of folks who are really heavily under the influence of drugs. Bone hits tend to hurt and make folks drop. Bullet wounds that hit only soft tissue can be remarkably variable in how much pain the person complains of... supposedly, (as in I have read but never seen) heart shot folks would be acting like nothing happened until they dropped dead- but some of the most vocal about pain have been folks who were hit in fat areas...

Everyone responds differently to things. One guy who had been shot twice said that the first time it hurt like a SOB, but the second he didn't notice until his pant leg was dripping with blood...

I do find it interesting that so many shooters have not heard gunshots going by them... maybe all the gun safety stuff works?

Good point on the drugs. I watched a guy who had been smoking a joint laced with "angel dust" back in the 70s attack three armed MPs. Two of them emptied their M1911s into him from a few feet, every shot a winner, and he kept coming.

The third MP had a riot gun full of 00 buckshot, he ended proceedings.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
quote:
quote:

You feel that.

There is also a psychological phenomenon called reactive death wherein people have died from non-lethal gunshot wounds because they believe that if they get shot that they are supposed to die.

The best thing is to set up an experiment with the pig ear as I mentioned earlier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect that a recording of a bullet under the pig ear and microphone scenario will not match the description of a hum. With a presumed supersonic projectile that close to the ear canal, the pressure wave of the bullet will enter the ear canal more intensely than at a distance. Essentially a severe pressure wave that overwhelms the ear. I've experienced it several times, not from a bullet, but by being too close to a gas port or muzzle break. My perception was not of any crack, boom or report, but more an abrupt loud whine or hum like severe tinnitus along with a notable muffling of hearing for a while. I believe basically it overwhelms the hearing apparatus and the brain interprets as it can. While my example is more comparable to an explosion, the shock/pressure wave is similar. Finally, what is perceived to be heard by an individual may be interpreted differently by others.