Moderators: DRG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Culture Login/Join 
posted
An interesting comment on Russia and Russians from an individual at a Finnish University

…..The note below is a response to a question on Russian culture by Susanna Viljanen a faculty member at Aalto University in Finland.

Remember Russia has lived for 786 years under tyranny: first 243 years under the Mongol khans (the so-called “Mongol yoke” from 1237 to 1480) and then 543 years under domestic tyrants. Russia is an Autocratic Patrimonialism, and its state apparatus is completely immune to any attempts of reform. Tyranny is the natural state of Russian state apparatus. And it is not going to change in the next 500 years.
You seem to think there is a small American inside each Russian wanting to come out. This is not the case. This was the error the Americans themselves committed in the nineties. Instead I would say there is a small Mongol inside each Russian wanting to come out - if anything else, Russia is the adoptive heir of the Mongol Khanate.
Russians hate freedom more than anything else. Because freedom equals anarchy, disorder, breaking things, looting places and killing people without any repercussions in the Russian ethos. The word svoboda, which means “freedom” in all other Slavic languages, means “a state of affairs where there is no instance to carry out punitive measures from any transgressions”, “anarchy”. The only thing worse than svoboda is smuta, anarchy.
The 786 years of perpetual tyranny have molded the Russian national psyche incredibly servile and submissive. The last peasant rebellion happened in the 17th century, and was crushed brutally. Russians do not rebel and will not rebel, no matter how tyrannical their rulers might be. It is because Russians are not Europeans nor Americans and they do not have neither European nor American mindset. They are Asians by their mindset.
They know that if they rebel against their rulers and fail, the revenge will be bloody, terrible and complete. And they know if they succeed, the best thing they can hope for is svoboda, anarchy.
Russia is not a democracy, never been a democracy and will never be democracy. Russia has never been Feudalism, Capitalism nor civil society nor had rule of law either. Russia is an Autocratic Patrimonialism, and will remain as an Autocratic Patrimonialism until Sun goes red giant.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
To me, in a broad sense, very obviously true and a fact the idiot Americans haven't been able to wrap their heads around.

The Afghans, Iraqis, Russians, Vietnamese, Somali, etc don't want to be American, nor do any of them share our values.

Some here think Carter, America and Great Britain are responsible for the downfall of Rhodesia. I disagree, I say the majority citizens of Rhodesia/ Zimbabwe are entirely responsible, they like the way their nation is.

Look at our own differing culture right here inside American borders, the Native American. The opportunity for the native to embrace United States opportunity and advancement is boundless and yet the typical Reservation/ community/ village remains destitute, corrupt, tribal. The really don't want to be like Wymple in Iowa or Doc Lane in Texas.

America can't sell itself to its own neighbors on the same block but we continue to try to and fail at selling our ways to aliens hemispheres away.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres an interesting channel on You tube. 1420, A young guy asking russians political questions.

Its amazing how high a number profess no interest or care for politics and just accept the way things are as unchangeable.

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Dont forget Kenscos post regarding low information voters. It's true everywhere.

Monarchies and dictatorships work because the single or few with a vision or understanding of advancement "rule" and lead the unwashed masses. When Queen Victoria was, Empress of India, things were alright for a lot of folks, maybe not all the Indians.

Plainly, demonstrably, Democracy for All! doesn't work. America insisting it knows better and, "those poor oppressed Afganis just need liberty!" Was retarded stupid.

I'd strongly prefer that at least for now, Russia holds itself together in some way, shape or form to at least contain it's nukes. Anymore I have serious doubts. I've never thought Russians would embrace Western Enlightenment anymore than I thought Ukraine or Angola would.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
America, at this moment, is forcing the fusion of Russia and China. Iran, NK, most of the indo pacific and most of the continent of Africa will ally with the above.

WWIII is in the kindling stage and the twigs are beginning to smoke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
America, at this moment, is forcing the fusion of Russia and China. Iran, NK, most of the indo pacific and most of the continent of Africa will ally with the above.

Either that or America, NATO and the EU are standing up to Russian aggression and the attempt to upend the post WWII order.

Will the MAGA Republicans ever stop being Russian apologists? Reagan is spinning in his grave as the GOP goes to bat for Russian Imperialism.

I simply do not recognize today's Republican party, they bare no resemblance to the GOP of the 1980's that I grew up with.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I know of no Russian sympathizers with standing within the Republican Party.

Can you point out some?

Before you state Trump…as MAGA notes, he puts America first.

Forcing the fusion of Russia and China is not in the best interest of the world or America.

It is happening and Xi is not curtailed by American aid to Ukraine. Ukraine is bringing Putin to heel to Xi — an outcome to Xi’s very delight.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36630 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can you point out some?

Forcing the fusion of Russia and China is not in the best interest of the world or America.

It is happening and Xi is not curtailed by American aid to Ukraine. Ukraine is bringing Putin to heel to Xi — an outcome to Xi’s very delight.

Sure, Doc Lane for one.

Gaetz, Green, Boebert, Cruz

You are correct, after Trump's failed attempt at blackmailing Zelenski and his subsequent impeachment related to it, their is no need to mention that his allegiance lies with Russia. It is a given.

Shall I go on?

China and Russia have clearly stated that they plan on upending the post WWII world order for one more favorable to their world view. The US is not forcing China to side with Russia, China made that decision all by themselves.

If you allow Russia to set precedence that Nuclear armed States do not need to follow the rules then all bets are off.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
quote:

Can you point out some?

Sure, Doc Lane for one.

Shall I go on?

China and Russia have clearly stated that they plan on upending the post WWII world order for one more favorable to their world view. The US is not forcing China to side with Russia, China made that decision all by themselves.

If you allow Russia to set precedence that Nuclear armed States do not need to follow the rules then all bets are off.

See that is the fallacy with your logic — actually logic is a misnomer as there isn’t any.

None of the above are Russian sympathizers. They all are America First advocators.

You cannot see the forest for the trees.

Russia and China NEVER intended to let post-WWII era live — NEVER. They both have patience. We have been for a while making their opportunity appear.

We are not forcing Xi to Russia…we are aiding in bringing Russia to heel for Xi. Xi is smiling.

China is Queen…Russia is the pawn. Play Chess…not checkers.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can you point out some?

Sure, Doc Lane for one.

Shall I go on?

See that is the fallacy with your logic — actually logic is a misnomer as there isn’t any.

None of the above are Russian sympathizers. They all are America First advocators.

Russia and China NEVER intended to let post-WWII era live — NEVER. They both have patience. We have been for a while making their opportunity appear.

We are not forcing Xi to Russia…we are aiding in bringing Russia to heel for Xi. Xi is smiling.

What a bunch of hubris.

So tell me the long game these MAGA fools are playing? How exactly do they see world order when Russia, China, NK etc. are not bound by rules?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Can you point out some?

Sure, Doc Lane for one.

Shall I go on?

What a bunch of hubris.

So tell me the long game these MAGA fools are playing? How exactly do they see world order when Russia, China, NK etc. are not bound by rules?

Hubris? Au contraire!

You have hit upon it yourself! The outsourcing of American Manufacturing and I will add American energy independence is our major weakness.

The long-game is to keep America strong and don’t aide allegiance amongst our enemies. Russia is weak. Advise and let Europe defeat them. Keep our eye on the tiger — China. Get America back to the post WWII strength it enjoyed for years.

Yes…our military is capable and strong but it can only be as strong as the country with in. MAGA - Make America Great Again. You, yourself, have stated that off-shoring American manufacturing and middle America jobs was bad. Bringing those back is the core concept of MAGA.

Russia is only a local problem for Europe. Europe should deal with it and fund it. Certainly we should be on their side. We should not bank-roll Ukraine…Western Europe should. Certainly we should help…just not at the expense of interior America.

China is the threat…not Russia. But, the alliance makes both stronger.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an insane assessment of the situation. America is far stronger with our allies than standing alone. Russia is a threat, as is China, NK, iran etc.

This has to do with much more than manufacturing though I agree we should bring it back.

You avoided my question, what does world order look like when precedent is set that nuclear powers are not confronted for aggression?

Europe is not able to stand up to Russia alone. The cost of bankrolling Ukraine is tiny compared to the cost of letting our adversaries reset the rules of engagement.

One of Us
Picture of Kanec
posted Hide Post
Everyone sees it differently, EU does, US does, Russia does
Everyone can always justify actions in their own sphere and as it should be
In US it seems , no politicians can or could have any relationship with Russia per say without being accused of anything and everything and being hit by those accusations in election cycle
In EU it is getting that way as well so it will be interesting to see what the future brings
Scariest part is Russia China pact but that is also result of western countries constantly poking fingers into a Russia in the name of western values
We don’t like it when others do it to us…

Posts: 201 | Location: Heart of Europe where East meets the West | Registered: 19 January 2023Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kanec:
Everyone sees it differently, EU does, US does, Russia does
Everyone can always justify actions in their own sphere and as it should be
In US it seems , no politicians can or could have any relationship with Russia per say without being accused of anything and everything and being hit by those accusations in election cycle
In EU it is getting that way as well so it will be interesting to see what the future brings
Scariest part is Russia China pact but that is also result of western countries constantly poking fingers into a Russia in the name of western values
We don’t like it when others do it to us…

Gee, and I thought Ukraine a sovereign nation. Now I read we are sticking our fingers into Russia. My bad, I had thought that the Russians had invaded another country. Thanks for straightening me out Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
This conversation, ( like most,) quickly went over my head, but I would add that I've never thought either Doc or myself are any kind of Putin apologist or supporter.
I very well remember growing up in the 80s and the consideration of the USSR. I barely remember the boycott of the 1980 Olympics, but do remember the coverage of Brezhnev, Andropov and Chernenko. They all were certainly considered a force.

I have heard nothing for years now that would lead me to believe that Russia is anything more than a regional threat and the war in Ukraine I believe has cemented my opinion. Russia seems little more than a gang of drunk monkeys. Certainly the nukes are a concern, but I don't think I've seen anything out of Russia that resembles USSR capacity.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
This conversation, ( like most,) quickly went over my head, but I would add that I've never thought either Doc or myself are any kind of Putin apologist or supporter.
I very well remember growing up in the 80s and the consideration of the USSR. I barely remember the boycott of the 1980 Olympics, but do remember the coverage of Brezhnev, Andropov and Chernenko. They all were certainly considered a force.

I have heard nothing for years now that would lead me to believe that Russia is anything more than a regional threat and the war in Ukraine I believe has cemented my opinion. Russia seems little more than a gang of drunk monkeys. Certainly the nukes are a concern, but I don't think I've seen anything out of Russia that resembles USSR capacity.

When you listen to the left wing media exclusively, you’d have to come to the conclusion that all conservatives are Russian agents. Propaganda at its finest, yet so many can’t discern fantasy from reality. Remember, they also believe that mankind will somehow change the earths climate, back to someplace it was before.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

When you listen to the left wing media exclusively, you’d have to come to the conclusion that all conservatives are Russian agents. Propaganda at its finest, yet so many can’t discern fantasy from reality. Remember, they also believe that mankind will somehow change the earths climate, back to someplace it was before.

Actually, you only need to listen to Republican lawmakers like I listed above or conservative media to see that a large percentage of conservatives are more than willing to be an agent for Russia, as long as it hurts the current administration.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
Hook, line, sinker… rotflmo

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don’t consider Cruz, Boebert, Green, et al very deep thinkers.

Maybe a bit deeper than Biden, but that’s really damning with faint praise.

In order to stand up to China we do desperately need allies.

Too bad that the EU has for the most part not been a good partner that way. Sure, some members have been helpful, but the whole is much more isolationistic than the US. If it’s not a European problem, the EU refuses to deal with it.

How long has the US been trying to get their NATO allies to actually live up to their agreements? And now they find they can’t help Ukraine without the US, even though the EU is collectively relatively close to the US size wise… certainly big enough to handle Russia…

We are bailing Europe out again.

My fear is that based on past experiences, the EU will not come to the table effectively if we need their help with China. Look at the GWT. Sure, individual nations sent some help, but the effort was extremely predominantly the US. The UK has been steadfast in being willing to help, but their help was very limited because they don’t have much, if any, surplus capability from their current needs. Ditto Canada. France did send some, but no where near all they could have. Poland did an outsized effort… but the rest of the NATO nations? Germany?

This being the world’s policeman is hurting us economically. We are spending way more on defense to carry our weak sister allies.

I could sympathize if it was they could help but felt it was the wrong war, but as Ukraine is showing, it wasn’t unwillingness… it is inability. And they still want to play socialism at home games even while Putin is a lead threat to them- certainly more than he is to the US. How much do you think they will come to the table when it’s China that’s a bigger threat to us than NATO/the EU?

I know we have some EU contributors here… where is my error?

We learned through the world wars and since then that isolationism doesn’t work (all our failed wars involved a lack of help from allied countries…).

As to Russia and its desire for an authoritarian government, I’m not so sure it’s desire more than a deep set experience that if you stick your head up, it goes badly for you. The Yeltsin years showed a promise of improvement, and it was lost by economic mismanagement and a lack of experience with peaceful regime change. I know way too many emigres from Russia to think that it’s a genetic thing… and as the Fascist and Communist governments in Europe showed, it’s too easy to slip up even for nations with a democratic heritage.

My recollection of my thinking when I was young and thinking of military service was I disliked the authoritarianism of communism, not a dislike of Russia per se. I saw the red Chinese as a bigger threat than the USSR mainly due to Russia starting to show some concern for its human capital (their military tactics were shifting from mass wave assault to war of maneuver) which is not China.

I still dislike the idea of communism and overtly socialistic systems, as I see them as inherently authoritarian. Just like the Nazis, if a bit less stupidly aggressive.

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointblank:
Hook, line, sinker… rotflmo

I wish I able to read between the lines like you Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Damn glad I’ll be dead and gone before the conflagration fully ignites. I’ll leave to the night shift to sort out.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can you point out some?

Putin is a genius. Sound familiar?? coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:

Can you point out some?

Putin is a genius. Sound familiar?? coffee

An astute observation from one of our conservative board members.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
I don’t consider Cruz, Boebert, Green, et al very deep thinkers.

Maybe a bit deeper than Biden, but that’s really damning with faint praise.

In order to stand up to China we do desperately need allies.

Too bad that the EU has for the most part not been a good partner that way. Sure, some members have been helpful, but the whole is much more isolationistic than the US. If it’s not a European problem, the EU refuses to deal with it.

How long has the US been trying to get their NATO allies to actually live up to their agreements? And now they find they can’t help Ukraine without the US, even though the EU is collectively relatively close to the US size wise… certainly big enough to handle Russia…

We are bailing Europe out again.

My fear is that based on past experiences, the EU will not come to the table effectively if we need their help with China. Look at the GWT. Sure, individual nations sent some help, but the effort was extremely predominantly the US. The UK has been steadfast in being willing to help, but their help was very limited because they don’t have much, if any, surplus capability from their current needs. Ditto Canada. France did send some, but no where near all they could have. Poland did an outsized effort… but the rest of the NATO nations? Germany?

This being the world’s policeman is hurting us economically. We are spending way more on defense to carry our weak sister allies.

I could sympathize if it was they could help but felt it was the wrong war, but as Ukraine is showing, it wasn’t unwillingness… it is inability. And they still want to play socialism at home games even while Putin is a lead threat to them- certainly more than he is to the US. How much do you think they will come to the table when it’s China that’s a bigger threat to us than NATO/the EU?

I know we have some EU contributors here… where is my error?

We learned through the world wars and since then that isolationism doesn’t work (all our failed wars involved a lack of help from allied countries…).

As to Russia and its desire for an authoritarian government, I’m not so sure it’s desire more than a deep set experience that if you stick your head up, it goes badly for you. The Yeltsin years showed a promise of improvement, and it was lost by economic mismanagement and a lack of experience with peaceful regime change. I know way too many emigres from Russia to think that it’s a genetic thing… and as the Fascist and Communist governments in Europe showed, it’s too easy to slip up even for nations with a democratic heritage.

My recollection of my thinking when I was young and thinking of military service was I disliked the authoritarianism of communism, not a dislike of Russia per se. I saw the red Chinese as a bigger threat than the USSR mainly due to Russia starting to show some concern for its human capital (their military tactics were shifting from mass wave assault to war of maneuver) which is not China.

I still dislike the idea of communism and overtly socialistic systems, as I see them as inherently authoritarian. Just like the Nazis, if a bit less stupidly aggressive.

Alot of truth in there for sure. I think though, as a non american looking at the political situation of the last half century or more, It has seemed very much like America being the world policeman really was of major benefit to America. Maybe not so much the last 20 as nations grew complacent etc, but Americas over riding influence has been there none the less.
That doesn't mean that other nations should not have kept up thier militaries in anyway, but if someone has been willingly doing it, its understandable. This current conflict is changing that.

China.

It will be an asia/pacific problem and the leash is being removed from Japan for that very reason. Australia will have a big part to play as well i think. The question is, where will India sit?

quote:
On 8 June 2006, the Cabinet of Japan endorsed a bill elevating the Defense Agency (防衛庁) under the Cabinet Office to full-fledged cabinet-level Ministry of Defense (防衛省). This was passed by the National Diet in December 2006 and has been enforced since 9 January 2007.[35]

Section 2 of Article 3 of the Self Defense Forces Act was revised on 9 January 2007. JSDF activities abroad were elevated from "miscellaneous regulations" to "basic duties." This fundamentally changed the nature of the JSDF because its activities were no longer solely defensive. JMSDF ships can be dispatched worldwide such as in activities against pirates. The JSDF's first postwar overseas base was established in Djibouti (July 2010).[32] On 18 September 2015, the National Diet enacted the 2015 Japanese military legislation, a series of laws that allow Japan's Self-Defense Forces to defend allies in combat. The JSDF may provide material support to allies engaged in combat overseas. The new law also allows JSDF troops to defend weapons platforms belonging to Japan's allies if doing so would somehow contribute to Japan's defense. The justification being that not defending or coming to the aid of an ally under attack weakens an alliances and endangers Japan. These were Japan's broadest changes to its defense laws since World War II.[36] The JSDF Act was amended in 2015 to make it illegal for JSDF personnel/staff to participate in collective insubordination or to command forces without authority or in violation of orders, which was stated to be the reason Japan was involved in China in World War II.[37] A Credit Suisse survey published in 2015 ranked Japan as the world's fourth most-powerful military behind Russia, China, and United States. [38] Since March 2016, Japan's Legislation for Peace and Security enables seamless responses of the JSDF to any situation to protect the lives and livelihood of Japanese citizens. It also increases proactive contributions to peace and security in the world and deepens cooperation with partners. This enhanced the Japan-US alliance as global partners to promote peace and security in the region and the international community.[39]

Japan activated the Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade, its first marine unit since World War II, on 7 April 2018. It is trained to counter invaders from occupying Japanese islands.[40] The Ministry of Defense said that beginning 1 October 2018, the maximum age for enlisted personnel and non-commissioned officer applicants would be raised from 26 to 32 to secure "a stable supply of Self-Defense Forces [military] personnel amid a declining pool of recruits due to the recently declining birth rate."[2] In March 2019, the Ministry of Defense intended to establish its first regional cyber protection unit in the Western Army of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force (JGSDF) to safeguard defense communications from cyber attacks, such as for personnel deployed on remote islands with no established secure lines.[41] The Ministry of Defense has been developing supersonic glide bombs to strengthen the defense of Japan's remote islands, including the Senkaku Islands. The anti-surface strike capability will be used to help the Amphibious Rapid Deployment Brigade’s landing and recapture operations of remote islands.[42]

Posts: 4254 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also war with china is not likely to be a land war. or an offensive war. It will entirely be about degrading thier military and keeping them within thier borders. At a guess it would be about defending allied nations along the south china sea and keeping Chinas navy in port.
They might well have a massive military in regards too numbers. But where in reality can they take it? and how do they effectively use it? China is a country set up for defence not offence.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
China is a country set up for defence not offence.

It looks to me that is changing rapidly.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont see that it can. Unless they attack a direct neighbour and much of thier border is mountains. Thier "threats" are all via the south china sea and they are not really capable of deploying through there if the US/ japan/ philippines/taiwan dont allow them too. They can have all the capacity they want, but its no good to them for anything other than defence if they cant not get it out of the country.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
US/ japan/ philippines/taiwan dont allow them too.

That is the part it looks like they aim to change first.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is an insane assessment of the situation. America is far stronger with our allies than standing alone.

I don’t disagree but…
…America will always have Europe/NATO as an ally as they need us more than we need them. Let them take care of Russia for now.

Russia is a threat,

Russia is not really a threat. How long do you think it would have taken the US to roll over Ukraine? They are a local menace and Western Europe needs to control them with.

as is China, NK, iran etc.

China is the threat.

This has to do with much more than manufacturing though I agree we should bring it back.

Yeah, energy.

You avoided my question, what does world order look like when precedent is set that nuclear powers are not confronted for aggression?

They should be opposed…by Western Europe with us behind them.

Europe is not able to stand up to Russia alone.

This Ukraine conflict should prove that they are. Of course with us as backup. But THEY need to foot the bill and send the equipment and personnel.

The cost of bankrolling Ukraine is tiny compared to the cost of letting our adversaries reset the rules of engagement.

We’ll see when China starts backing them with supplies and support—indebting Russia to Xi. This will set the new world order.

Russia is a wealth of natural resources…just what Xi needs to complete his goals.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That is an insane assessment of the situation. America is far stronger with our allies than standing alone.

I don’t disagree but…
…America will always have Europe/NATO as an ally as they need us more than we need them. Let them take care of Russia for now.

Europe is not strong enough to stop Russia. Pushing problems off on others as opposed to addressing them yourself has not been the American way, nor should it be.

Russia is a threat,

Russia is not really a threat. How long do you think it would have taken the US to roll over Ukraine? They are a local menace and Western Europe needs to control them with.

except Europe is not able to control them. They need to be stopped, for our own good.

as is China, NK, iran etc.

China is the threat. Any Nuclear armed state is a threat, that is why Israel is so worked up about Iran getting the technology.

Yeah, energy. and food security, respecting other nations borders etc. Far more than energy or manufacturing.

They should be opposed…by Western Europe with us behind them. We are their allies, if we are not there to help them, why should they be there for us? America Alone is piss poor foreign policy.

Europe is not able to stand up to Russia alone.

This Ukraine conflict should prove that they are. Of course with us as backup. But THEY need to foot the bill and send the equipment and personnel. Bullshit but certainly a Tucker Carlson talking point.

The cost of bankrolling Ukraine is tiny compared to the cost of letting our adversaries reset the rules of engagement.

We’ll see when China starts backing them with supplies and support—indebting Russia to Xi. This will set the new world order.

Russia is a wealth of natural resources…just what Xi needs to complete his goals.

We are already seeing the cost of Russian aggression in fertilizer, energy, food etc. America taking its ball and going home will certainly not re-set global order in a positive direction. Worried about the debt? The answer is easy, start by turning over the Trump tax cuts for those least in need. High earners have seen a reduction in the top tax rate of 47% over the last 40 years and yet they still cry foul.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Food: America has ample ability to feed itself. Democrat policy of hyepr regulation of commercial farming is a problem though. While I am not necessarily a Tyson fan…I listen yesterday to an interview with them on all the new regulations this administration is trying to heap on them further increasing inflation in food costs.

Fertilizer: directly tied to energy production

Energy: it is decreasing in price as American production is increasing. I have had 2 new wells drilled on me in the last 6 months just coming on-line into production. A smart USA would this local production stable.

Security: Come with me to South Texas and I will show you we have NO security.

Russia: Western Europe CAN control today’s Russia…easily…they just have to muster the will. But why would they??? We are eager fling money at them.

Tax cuts: until we start working off a realistic budget…I begrudge the US Gvt of every red-cent they get of mine…and I give them PLENTY.

China: the real threat. A strong Chinese dependency by Russia is bad. I predict you see Xi starting to provide enough armament to Russia to go toe-to-toe with what we send Ukraine…all the while making its move on Taiwan…opening that corridor Shanks says they lack.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Food: America has ample ability to feed itself. Democrat policy of hyepr regulation of commercial farming is a problem though. While I am not necessarily a Tyson fan…I listen yesterday to an interview with them on all the new regulations this administration is trying to heap on them further increasing inflation in food costs.

Energy: it is decreasing in price as American production is increasing. I have had 2 new wells drilled on me in the last 6 months just coming on-line into production. A smart USA would this local production stable.

Russia: Western Europe CAN control today’s Russia…easily…they just have to muster the will. But why would they??? We are eager fling money at them.

Tax cuts: until we start working off a realistic budget…I begrudge the US Gvt of every red-cent they get of mine…and I give them PLENTY.

China: the real threat. A strong Chinese dependency by Russia is bad. I predict you see Xi starting to provide enough armament to Russia to go toe-to-toe with what we send Ukraine…all the while making its move on Taiwan…opening that corridor Shanks says they lack.

Maybe you have not noticed, we live in a global market and those in business sell to the highest paying buyer. We grow plenty of food but rely on Russia and Ukraine for fertilizer. The price of fertilizer skyrocketed since the war, driving up food costs. Ukraine produces a huge portion of the worlds grain supply, if that decreases then prices for grain rise worldwide. We do not live in a box.

So it was great that our allies followed us into both Iraq and Afghanistan, but when they need help they are on their own. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

Taxes: The problem is that you begrudge every cent you give the Government. I do not enjoy writing the checks I send them but I benefit from the services my taxes pay for, roads, police, military etc. I pay my way and do not cry about it, unlike some others who proclaim to be patriots.

China, Russia, NK, Iran....plenty of threats if you open your eyes. We are far stronger standing with our allies, they have been there for us, we should be there in thier time of need.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Maybe you have not noticed, we live in a global market and those in business sell to the highest paying buyer.

However, the USA could keep ours stable with local production and economic incentives…as we should.

We grow plenty of food but rely on Russia and Ukraine for fertilizer.

Mistake and we shouldn’t and don’t have to. Just like we should bring back our other manufacturing.

The price of fertilizer skyrocketed since the war, driving up food costs.

Well aware…I have farm and ranch holdings.

Ukraine produces a huge portion of the worlds grain supply, if that decreases then prices for grain rise worldwide. We do not live in a box.

But we can and should take care of America First.

So it was great that our allies followed us into both Iraq and Afghanistan, but when they need help they are on their own. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

We should be BEHIND them here. Allies covering their back. They should be the tip-of-the-spear…both from supply and finnancial sides.

Taxes: The problem is that you begrudge every cent you give the Government. I do not enjoy writing the checks I send them but I benefit from the services my taxes pay for, roads, police, military etc. I pay my way and do not cry about it, unlike some others who proclaim to be patriots.

When they become responsible…I will not begrudge.

China, Russia, NK, Iran....plenty of threats if you open your eyes. We are far stronger standing with our allies, they have been there for us, we should be there in thier time of need.

They hang around us because they have no where else to hang. They have never been that much help to us. And yes…we should be right behind Western Europe in this matter…backing THEIR fight.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say all but taxes, I generally agree with Dr. Easter on above.

I believe a balance needs to be struck between the Global Market with Domestic production and consumption of domestic goods that has long been ignored by Both Parties to the detriment of all of us.

As far as Russians go, the consensus of reporting I have seen is Rural Older Russians are pro Putin. Younger people, Rubinstein with education, oppose the regime. However, most do not see Russia itself as antagonistic nor the West benevolent. This, I agree with Scott King. Blunt Russia expansion so long as the West matches or commitment as long as possible. It has to end there; unless Putin does use a nuclear weapon.

I do not believe the US can “lead from behind” or do anything from behind, but US Commitment must be met by our Western Allies or no play. The West as so far done so.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear some further explanation on how in a capitalistic society we restrict our farmers from selling on the International market. These type of restrictions have been lifted on oil sales with bipartisan support. You are suggesting that we limit where and how much our farmers can sell their product for? Government control of the means of production? Where have I heard this theory before?

I have a feeling any movement of the sort will go over like a lead balloon in farm country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look what happened to the Tobacco Industry in 2000s. We killed a lot of domestic production and small farmers to import Tobacco from overseas and sell tobacco overseas.

There is no reason it should be cheaper to export food internationally than to sell domestically.

We are severely out of balance in trade deficit.

https://finmasters.com/us-trad...dEAAYASAAEgL96vD_BwE

I am very much against NAFTA and President Trump’s mere tweak.

I also believe we should tax the ever living hell on products manufactured in China and sold in the US. That is the only way to force the Apples if the works to bring that production back home.

Some say, but China will Jack the tax on X that we send in. Let them, we can meet that demand domestically and elsewhere. That is all that matters is do you have someone to buy. That someone does not have to be China. I just have to move X units.

If China wants to play, all the College Students that come here to learn tech and medicine on Visas can go learn those professions in Russia.

President Biden was very popular in Corn Country. Why? Ethanol subsidies were backed by him.

Posts: 10904 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to hear some further explanation on how in a capitalistic society we restrict our farmers from selling on the International market. These type of restrictions have been lifted on oil sales with bipartisan support. You are suggesting that we limit where and how much our farmers can sell their product for? Government control of the means of production? Where have I heard this theory before?

I have a feeling any movement of the sort will go over like a lead balloon in farm country.

No restriction…incentivize.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No restriction…incentivize.

Get Grassley onboard and your plan might have a chance. I'll wait coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
US/ japan/ philippines/taiwan dont allow them too.

That is the part it looks like they aim to change first.

I think the key is, they can kind of pressure Europe, Via arming Russia. But they cant pressure Japan in the same manor. there is also South Korea, and while China can pressure them via NK, Koreas arms production seems to be first rate and realistically they can deal with the NK's threat. Also realistically, Russia is done. they are not going to have a military of the position they are officially ranked in for some time, and will not be able to support China. The instant that china starts something, it will have to drop its support for Russia should it eventuate and then Europe can handle that situation.

I know alot has changed, but my family had business in china for 20 years, and they just rely on the world too much for their economics and food. I do not feel, and this is just a personal view, that they can maintain a protracted military action without creating such internal unrest and dissent that it would risk the parties hold on power.
Chinese people are different from Russians and there has always been a level of dissent allowed and the average chinese has grown very accustomed to high quality of life.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Let’s hope you are correct.

J. Lane Easter, DVM