The Accurate Reloading Forums
Nub after turning?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3621043/m/691106562

14 May 2005, 23:23
Lar45
Nub after turning?
Hi, I recently got my lathe CNCified.
I tried turning a couple of brass bullets and get a nub on the nose while parting off. What do you guys do to avoid this? Do I need to chuck it up and turn it off afterwards?
TIA

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.
15 May 2005, 02:58
Al
grind your cutoff blade on a angle so the bullet will drop 1st.

If a little nub is left, you can put one of those stickey sanding disk on a flat surface, and gently stroke the nose of the bullet on it.

Everyday I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
15 May 2005, 05:19
MartinPotts
If feeding rod stock through the head stock
is what your doing set a tight angle and put a
sharper tapered bit .
Your really going to always have that last little bit.
Thats kinda why i used to run them all through the collet lathe afterwards. Just to touch them all up the same and remove thet nasty
little spots on the ends.

It's a pain but* but if you have the time you can make some darn fine bullets this way.
Also i use 900 grit wet/dry paper and oil to shine then and clean them up alittle more.
15 May 2005, 11:55
500grains
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:
Hi, I recently got my lathe CNCified.
I tried turning a couple of brass bullets and get a nub on the nose while parting off. What do you guys do to avoid this? Do I need to chuck it up and turn it off afterwards?
TIA

I have shot a lot of Bridger Bullets with a nub on the bottom. It doesn't hurt anything, and the bullets are very accurate.
15 May 2005, 13:24
MartinPotts
500 Grain's is right .
It really dosn't hurt anything to leave it there .

Some folk's just like a really clean looking bullet .
And when your competing in the market place against big name bullet company's every bit helps.... but for your own use hey if the weights right shoot it
16 May 2005, 23:41
Lar45
Thanks, I'll try that. I was turning them with the base out as I thought having a perfect base would be more important.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.