THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM


Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Invasive Species Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Living in Australia made me understand how paranoid people can get about invasive species. The Australians are the worst. They are deathly afraid of "invasive species" coming into their country, and those that are already there. To the point that they release viruses to kill the invasive species. What with the pandemic, should they be releasing viruses that might mutate?

Australia reminded me of the western U.S. back in the 50s, when we had to stop as we crossed into some States and throw away any fruit we had with us. (Australia even culls some birds that are native to one part of Australia, but not another.)

I was reminded when I watched a series on YouTube called "Meet The Ferals". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Da7NCF6s If you watch enough of the videos, you notice that in addition to introducing viruses into the wild, they also don't complain too much if money can be made off the ferals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGvqmKsApk

In one video they mention Tennessee and feral hogs. The expansion of feral hogs in Tennessee over a fifty year period was fairly slow, then people discovered that money could be made from hunters wanting to shoot hogs. Hog hunting facilities jumped up all over Tennessee and the spread of feral hogs dramatically increased in a very short period of time. Greed is our own worst enemy.

This morning I was reading that you shouldn't throw an apple core away as that introduces invasive species. https://www.mic.com/p/introduc...-car-window-19773640

We seem to be trying to stop evolution, and every move humans make, make things worse.
 
Posts: 11970 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I concur!

I moved to Australia in Nov 2010 and left in Nov 2013.

Non-native wildlife was given a green light to stamp out.

Very little room is given for the natural expansion of one species out of their "home range".
 
Posts: 7218 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Invasive species are a worldwide problem.

Dave
 
Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWW, sounds like you and I were there at the same time. I was there from early 2010 to late 2012. I was living in Daglish (Perth).
 
Posts: 11970 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Exactly, I worked at the US Embassy in Canberra. Ran out my last 3 years on active duty there.
 
Posts: 7218 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Living in Australia made me understand how paranoid people can get about invasive species. The Australians are the worst. They are deathly afraid of "invasive species" coming into their country, and those that are already there. To the point that they release viruses to kill the invasive species. What with the pandemic, should they be releasing viruses that might mutate?

Australia reminded me of the western U.S. back in the 50s, when we had to stop as we crossed into some States and throw away any fruit we had with us. (Australia even culls some birds that are native to one part of Australia, but not another.)

I was reminded when I watched a series on YouTube called "Meet The Ferals". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Da7NCF6s If you watch enough of the videos, you notice that in addition to introducing viruses into the wild, they also don't complain too much if money can be made off the ferals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGvqmKsApk

In one video they mention Tennessee and feral hogs. The expansion of feral hogs in Tennessee over a fifty year period was fairly slow, then people discovered that money could be made from hunters wanting to shoot hogs. Hog hunting facilities jumped up all over Tennessee and the spread of feral hogs dramatically increased in a very short period of time. Greed is our own worst enemy.

This morning I was reading that you shouldn't throw an apple core away as that introduces invasive species. https://www.mic.com/p/introduc...-car-window-19773640

We seem to be trying to stop evolution, and every move humans make, make things worse.


CA, that bastion of Democratic socialism, was still doing the state line fruit search as recently as 10 years ago and perhaps still is. There was an inspection at the port of entry into CA on I 80 just west of Truckee. They came into my motor home looking for citrus fruit. Welcome to the “golden” state.....
 
Posts: 9420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Invasive species are a worldwide problem.

Dave


X2,

Grizz


When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
 
Posts: 732 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Living in Australia made me understand how paranoid people can get about invasive species. The Australians are the worst. They are deathly afraid of "invasive species" coming into their country, and those that are already there. To the point that they release viruses to kill the invasive species. What with the pandemic, should they be releasing viruses that might mutate?

Australia reminded me of the western U.S. back in the 50s, when we had to stop as we crossed into some States and throw away any fruit we had with us. (Australia even culls some birds that are native to one part of Australia, but not another.)

I was reminded when I watched a series on YouTube called "Meet The Ferals". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Da7NCF6s If you watch enough of the videos, you notice that in addition to introducing viruses into the wild, they also don't complain too much if money can be made off the ferals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGvqmKsApk

In one video they mention Tennessee and feral hogs. The expansion of feral hogs in Tennessee over a fifty year period was fairly slow, then people discovered that money could be made from hunters wanting to shoot hogs. Hog hunting facilities jumped up all over Tennessee and the spread of feral hogs dramatically increased in a very short period of time. Greed is our own worst enemy.

This morning I was reading that you shouldn't throw an apple core away as that introduces invasive species. https://www.mic.com/p/introduc...-car-window-19773640

We seem to be trying to stop evolution, and every move humans make, make things worse.


CA, that bastion of Democratic socialism, was still doing the state line fruit search as recently as 10 years ago and perhaps still is. There was an inspection at the port of entry into CA on I 80 just west of Truckee. They came into my motor home looking for citrus fruit. Welcome to the “golden” state.....


It's still there and they still ask.
 
Posts: 241 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeMe:
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
CA, that bastion of Democratic socialism, was still doing the state line fruit search as recently as 10 years ago and perhaps still is. There was an inspection at the port of entry into CA on I 80 just west of Truckee. They came into my motor home looking for citrus fruit. Welcome to the “golden” state.....


It's still there and they still ask.


The one on I-15 was recently moved closer to Nevada, still open for business.
It pains me to hand over my leftover Utah peaches on the way back...


TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)
 
Posts: 12491 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Asian Carp is a huge problem in the Illinois River.
The Corp of Engineers will be taking some steps to prevent them from making their way upstream to Lake Michigan. This is 1/2 mile down the road from where I grew up. When I was 14 or so, Mr. Sampson, the lockmaster, used to let me open and close the locks for barge traffic.

https://www.mvr.usace.army.mil.../GLMRIS-BrandonRoad/


Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

 
Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Humans are the most invasive of any species. If we were to play this to the end we would have to remove everyone form every continent except Africa?
C.G.B.
 
Posts: 970 | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
Humans are the most invasive of any species. If we were to play this to the end we would have to remove everyone form every continent except Africa?
C.G.B.


And we're going to breed ourselves into extinction.

Grizz


When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
 
Posts: 732 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Griz, if you haven't seen it yet I recommend the Mike Judge movie "Idiocracy". It's a comedy but too damned true.


Never mistake motion for action.
 
Posts: 14470 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have been talking about rebranding "carp" for quite a few years. https://www.usatoday.com/story...l-eaters/4430629001/ I'm not sure a simple name change will be enough.
 
Posts: 11970 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Living in Australia made me understand how paranoid people can get about invasive species. The Australians are the worst. They are deathly afraid of "invasive species" coming into their country, and those that are already there. To the point that they release viruses to kill the invasive species. What with the pandemic, should they be releasing viruses that might mutate?


Wasn't it Australia that had the rabbit problem?


TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)
 
Posts: 12491 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Remember "Night Of The Lepus"? Big Grin


Never mistake motion for action.
 
Posts: 14470 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida invasive species are a serious problem, in that they pose a considerable threat to native wildlife.

Everybody knows about Burmese pythons, which are reproducing in the Everglades faster than they can be killed off, even with bounties offered. They've become so prolific that a novel has been written with them as villains!

Another invasive but less well known intruder is the Cuban tree frog. This species came to the U.S. initially in south Florida, most likely as hitchhikers in fruit shipment from Central and South America. They are nasty creatures, usually mottled gray but sometimes others colors, and they eat everything--including our native frogs. They can get into electric panels, jam up pool pumps, and have even found their way into toilets--how they get through the plumbing system is a head-scratcher, but they do.

Cuban tree frogs have been the subject of extensive research at the University of Florida, and we are advised to capture and kill them, the suggested method being containment in a zip lock bag which is then placed in the freezer overnight, although dispatch with a whacking stick is not discouraged.


LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
 
Posts: 1419 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Emerald ash borer have killed every single native ash tree on my land.


~Ann



 
Posts: 16145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Australia has one feral pig for every human inhabitant" . Sums up the problem concisely.

Grizz


When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell
 
Posts: 732 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do they consider the feral pig as "good eats" in austrailia as we do?
 
Posts: 1166 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was the rabbit episode from Australia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778Da7NCF6s When you start releasing viruses, you are playing with fire. We are big on pointing the finger at China and their wet markets right now, but we play some pretty crazy games ourselves.
 
Posts: 11970 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 
Posts: 11970 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
  Powered by Social Strata  
 


Copyright December 1997-2021 Accuratereloading.com


Visit our on-line store for AR Memorabilia