The Accurate Reloading Forums
Warthog Tusks cracking

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3421043/m/7771058702

29 January 2015, 18:32
Tracker49
Warthog Tusks cracking
Has anyone had this problem? My mount is 5 years old and the lower tusks are splitting. I may be able to repair if they completely split apart with superglue.
Is there any way to prevent this in the future?
I live im Michigan, so low humidity shouldn't be a problem.
30 January 2015, 00:12
theback40
They should be filled with epoxy before they are set in the mount. I have many,many boar/warthog tusks and I always fill them and have yet to have any split.
31 January 2015, 00:10
LJS
Mine did the same thing and superglue was what I used. Curiously the halves were not a perfect match when glued. It was as if one side had shrunk a little. I did not lose any pieces, just shrinkage. I thought that might have been the stress to make them split.
02 February 2015, 21:03
larrys
My daughter makes some jewelry from my regular hog tusks and she fills with acrylic and uses epoxy on the exterior that can be polished. I would epoxy the split.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson
16 February 2015, 19:55
lorefuma
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Mine did the same thing and superglue was what I used. Curiously the halves were not a perfect match when glued. It was as if one side had shrunk a little. I did not lose any pieces, just shrinkage. I thought that might have been the stress to make them split.

exactly, is the difference in shrinkage that differnt zone of the tusk have that make them split.

D.V.M.