The Accurate Reloading Forums
GSCO -"Grand Slam" trademark

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3411043/m/3111041522

27 September 2016, 04:08
Echoanne12
GSCO -"Grand Slam" trademark
Well here we go again for all you AR members and others who may be members of GSCO. I just received an e mail bulletin from Worldwide Trophy Adventures (formerly Cabelas booking agency) advertising a special on a fishing trip in Belize titled, "Belize: Land of the Grand Slam." I wonder if Worldwide Trophy Adventures got permission from GSCO to use the trademark "Grand Slam"? Or does Dennis Campbell and GSCO only sue for trademark infringement if it involves the Wild Sheep Foundation? Anyone, including GSCO, can call Worldwide Trophy adventures at 800-346-8747 and inquire about the "Belize: Land of the Grand Slam" trip.
Enjoy!
27 September 2016, 16:58
larryshores
I guess any phrase can be trade marked. I seem to recall a certain basketball coach trade marking the phrase "three-peat". He made a pile of money off of it.
29 September 2016, 05:59
Duckear
The term grand slam is all across sports.

Not sure how fishing is infringing on sheep.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
29 September 2016, 14:57
larryshores
I think he is saying they are using a trademarked phrase to market a fishing trip.
30 September 2016, 10:31
Duckear
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I think he is saying they are using a trademarked phrase to market a fishing trip.

I know what he is saying. I'm saying the term grand slam and its use in sports predates the sheep club by decades. Not sure how folks think that is copyrighted outside of sheep hunting.

The IGFA has details on what a grand slam is

https://www.igfa.org/fish/grand-slam-clubs.aspx

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
30 September 2016, 17:05
Echoanne12
Not only has the phrase "Grand Slam" been used in sports for decades in advance of The Grand Slam Club trademarking such, Grand Slam was trademarked in 1962 by baseball bat maker Hillerich and Bradsby five years before Bob Householder filed the trademark Grand Slam. The point everyone is missing is that current day GSCO charlatan Dennis Campbell had no reason to sue The Wild Sheep Foundation for use of the phrase Grand Slam other than his own self serving monetary interest - not in the interest of supposed wild sheep conservation. Why do you think they also stole the trademark "Super Slam" from bowhunter Chuck Adams despite his registering the trademark for such years before GSCO did? For potential monetary gain - not in the interest of wild animal conservation! There are many registered trademarks of the term Grand Slam. Is GSCO also going to sue those companies using the term Grand Slam? Some of this has to do with possible confusion in the marketplace from a consumer standpoint? Well there sure as hell would be from Chuck Adams standpoint over his prior registration of the trademark "Super Slam". Point being as stated on TV by current WSF Executive Director Gray Thornton, "the premier wild sheep organization" is The Wild Sheep Foundation. If any AR members and others consider themselves to be true conservationists and are concerned about wild sheep conservation then they need to belong to WSF not some self serving group like GSCO masquerading as a sheep conservation organization!
30 September 2016, 17:50
larryshores
I am confused.

If the bat maker H&B trademarked the phrase "Grand Slam" how did Householder trademark the same phrase?

I am just trying to understand what has happened.
30 September 2016, 19:52
OLBIKER
WGAF? Big Grin
30 September 2016, 20:12
Norton
quote:
I am confused.

If the bat maker H&B trademarked the phrase "Grand Slam" how did Householder trademark the same phrase?

I am just trying to understand what has happened.

Beat me to it. Same goes for "Super Slam".

They were either trademarked or they weren't. I wouldn't be surprised if some shady high-priced crook....er, attorney figured out how to steal them though.

These are just aristocrat's hunting clubs. I don't give a rat's ass about them UNLESS they take away chances from the ordinary guy. Then again, isn't that what lobbyists do in DC every day?
01 October 2016, 02:02
larryshores
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
WGAF? Big Grin

A little knowledge is never a bad thing .
01 October 2016, 03:31
Echoanne12
Larry,
I personally asked former WSF Executive Director Raymond Lee this same question. According to him the legal system looks at confusion in the marketplace from the standpoint of a consumer in regards to a system of marks, i.e., trademarks. Hillerich and Bradsby trademarked Grand Slam for their baseball bat in 1962. Householder ( a pedophile with an arrest record for such in Arizona in 1983) trademarked the same phrase for The Grand Slam Club in 1967. I don't know why Hillerich & Bradsby did not sue Householder for trademark infringement. When I asked Raymond Lee why WSF did not fight GSCO harder, i.e, a change of venue out of Federal Court in Birmingham and other efforts, he replied it was basically a monetary decision on the part of the board of WSF. Legal fees for attorneys get very expensive. Basically Dennis Campbell and his band of self serving testosterone infused braggarts at GSCO had more money! Fast forward a few more years and they did the same thing to bowhunter Chuck Adams. Chuck registered the trademark "Super Slam" 19 years prior to GSCO deciding to trademark the phrase. Chuck tried to sue them and retain control of his trademark but his case was dismissed and he ultimately lost. Again he did not have the time and money to go up against Dennis Campbell and GSCO. Here's the most important point: any confusion in the marketplace for a consumer about products associated with the phrase "Super Slam" or "Grand Slam" was created by GSCO. Chuck Adams who had previously registered the mark "Super Slam", certainly did not create any confusion in the marketplace for consumers since his was the only trademark at that time for "Super Slam". I'll say it till the cows come home - does anyone really believe that GSCO did these things all in the interest of sheep or wild animal conservation? Raymond Lee further opened up and said this was a real learning experience for he and WSF. That was his response when I asked how in America can one business register a trademark and then have another business come along and steal their trademark? He basically opined only in America and only if one has the money and lots of powerful attorney's. This is public information available with a google search of:
Adams v. Grand Slam Club/Ovis
United States District Court, Tenth Circuit
January 10, 2014
Charles C. Adams Jr., Plaintiff
v
Grand Slam Club/Ovis, an Alabama corporation, Defendant
If anyone has trouble finding this information or the March 1983 article in The Arizona Republic City Newspaper detailing Bob Householders arrest titled, "Hunter Arrested on Morals Charge" they can pm me with their address and I will gladly mail them a copy. I hope this enlightens many here on AR who may be fooled about the real intent of Dennis Campbell, Tom Miranda and the rest of their ilk over at GSCO.
Enjoy
01 October 2016, 05:09
OLBIKER
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
WGAF? Big Grin

A little knowledge is never a bad thing .

No it`s not.However some times people with a little knowledge manage to get in trouble.
01 October 2016, 05:22
dogcat
GSCO is a family run outfit solely for the that family. Take a look at who works there. Also check out he SCI type of awards programs that have. It is an SCI type group for sheep shooters.
01 October 2016, 05:26
larryshores
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Echoanne12:
Larry,
I personally asked former WSF Executive Director Raymond Lee this same question. According to him the legal system looks at confusion in the marketplace from the standpoint of a consumer in regards to a system of marks, i.e., trademarks. Hillerich and Bradsby trademarked Grand Slam for their baseball bat in 1962. Householder ( a pedophile with an arrest record for such in Arizona in 1983) trademarked the same phrase for The Grand Slam Club in 1967. I don't know why Hillerich & Bradsby did not sue Householder for trademark infringement. When I asked Raymond Lee why WSF did not fight GSCO harder, i.e, a change of venue out of Federal Court in Birmingham and other efforts, he replied it was basically a monetary decision on the part of the board of WSF. Legal fees for attorneys get very expensive. Basically Dennis Campbell and his band of self serving testosterone infused braggarts at GSCO had more money! Fast forward a few more years and they did the same thing to bowhunter Chuck Adams. Chuck registered the trademark "Super Slam" 19 years prior to GSCO deciding to trademark the phrase. Chuck tried to sue them and retain control of his trademark but his case was dismissed and he ultimately lost. Again he did not have the time and money to go up against Dennis Campbell and GSCO. Here's the most important point: any confusion in the marketplace for a consumer about products associated with the phrase "Super Slam" or "Grand Slam" was created by GSCO. Chuck Adams who had previously registered the mark "Super Slam", certainly did not create any confusion in the marketplace for consumers since his was the only trademark at that time for "Super Slam". I'll say it till the cows come home - does anyone really believe that GSCO did these things all in the interest of sheep or wild animal conservation? Raymond Lee further opened up and said this was a real learning experience for he and WSF. That was his response when I asked how in America can one business register a trademark and then have another business come along and steal their trademark? He basically opined only in America and only if one has the money and lots of powerful attorney's. This is public information available with a google search of:
Adams v. Grand Slam Club/Ovis
United States District Court, Tenth Circuit
January 10, 2014
Charles C. Adams Jr., Plaintiff
v
Grand Slam Club/Ovis, an Alabama corporation, Defendant
If anyone has trouble finding this information or the March 1983 article in The Arizona Republic City Newspaper detailing Bob Householders arrest titled, "Hunter Arrested on Morals Charge" they can pm me with their address and I will gladly mail them a copy. I hope this enlightens many here on AR who may be fooled about the real intent of Dennis Campbell, Tom Miranda and the rest of their ilk over at GSCO.
Enjoy[/QUOTE

Interesting. Thank you.
01 October 2016, 05:33
Norton
echo....guys like dennis campbell sit back with a scotch and cigar chortling at your lament about how they steamrolled the little guy. I applaud your efforts though.

What good is a trademark if someone with more money can steal it?
01 October 2016, 05:53
larryshores
One thing is certain . Federal Court is enormously expensive.
01 October 2016, 06:02
larryshores
I will freely admit to being a member of the GSCO. Basically for the magazine. I have had grand slam for a couple of years now . They are not registered and I doubt they ever will be.
01 October 2016, 15:43
Echoanne12
Norton,
Exactly.

They should not hide behind the fake moniker of a conservation organization. How the hell GSCO got 501(c)3 status defies logic. Remember the Howard Cosell phrase, "Tell it like it is."

Dennis Campbell took or usurped the Grand Slam Club out of Phoenix, relocated it to Birmingham, and turned it into to his own business for his son and a few of their cronies. Worst part is they masquerade this as a conservation organization and alot of hunters are too stupid to comprehend the whole picture. As I've said before to those hunters who are members of GSCO - the old circus huckster P.T. Barnum is surely looking down from heaven with a big smile on his face and thinking, "There's a sucker born every minute."
01 October 2016, 19:21
DTala
piss on Dennis Campbell

Birmingham, Al
02 October 2016, 13:16
mdstewart
The most common use of "Grand Slam" is in golf and refers to winning all four majors. It's been used since Bobby Jones first accomplished the feat in 1931. Trying to trademark such a term is ridiculous and would doubtfully hold up in court.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More