The Accurate Reloading Forums
Would you change claw mounts for a swing mount?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/335105333/m/5621060091

17 June 2013, 18:15
Heym SR20
Thinking about changing the scope on my combination gun. Currently have claws and the bases are engraved. I can new rings to fit different scope and then cut the claws to fit my existing bases. This keeps the gun nice and original and can still use the existing scope. Or should I swap the bases for a swing mount system.
18 June 2013, 18:19
JonP
IMHO....swing mount...one set of mounts on the gun and you can install any scope with the right uppers...and do it yourself. Too bad you're not in Germany...I've had guns converted to EAW mounts for a few hundred dollars plus parts.
20 June 2013, 19:46
DM
quote:

Not only NO, but HELL NO!

I much prefer "claws" over "swings", i'd rather pay for another set of claws than have to use swings... AND that's exactly what i did when i wanted a new scope for my drilling,

DM
21 June 2013, 03:32
N E 450 No2
Not EVER.

DM, Nice set up. tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY
21 June 2013, 04:37
JudgeG
I just had NECG make me a set of mounts for my Cape gun. They had to replace the rear claw when doing so, but the gun still looks absolutely the same. The really did a fine job.

I've had both on several guns, but I like the claws best, even though you need a set for each scope.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.
21 June 2013, 07:27
Black Fly
Since you already have claws on the gun, I'd stay with them. I have guns with swings and guns with claws. I like them both.
Neither of your choices will be cheap. If you get a second set of claw rings made, or, if you get a set of swing bases and two sets of rings, I suspect your going to be in similar money.
If you ever intend to sell it, claws might sell easier.
Both need rings somewhat specific to the type of scope.
If you decide to go the swing route, you might want to talk with your gunsmith. From my discussions with JJ, sometimes it can be difficult to remove the old bases and fit a new one on some drillings and combos.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.
22 June 2013, 21:32
Heym SR20
Thanks for all your comments. I also went along to the viewing at the Holts auction and spent a pleasant hour looking at lots of double rifles and drillings and trying all the different mount types and much prefer the claw in action. The swing mounts mounts are good, and I would not turn down a rifle that had them, but claws are so much nicer IMHO. Decision made, will get a pair of recknagel rings and fit them to my existing bases. I want to mount a 1-4x20 nickel supra scope to complement the current 6x42 Zeiss.

Got a chance to handle a number of drillings - was slightly disappointed in that some felt really quite cumbersome, but was very taken with a nice over and under double 8x57jrs.
28 June 2013, 12:45
IanF
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:

Not only NO, but HELL NO! DM

Admirably put! Smiler

Rgds

Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........