tin can
Interesting auction- Peep Sight for 1903 Springfield/eBay
$236.29/3 bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
25 March 2012, 02:55
Fal Grunt
WOW, and it sold for $232!

What a steal!!!

Bummer I did not see it before it closed. I have a nice 03 build coming together that would have looked nice on.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.
27 March 2012, 07:19
cal30 1906
I was thinking of bidding on it but I did not.

When it was first put up for bid it was listed for 250.00.

It would seem with cnc machining these days somebody would build duplicates like these.

I have a Newton rifle with a Newton bolt mounted peep and its awsome to shoot with.

I am a sucker for peep sights of all types, Hell I buy them even if I dont have a rifle that they fit.

Currently I have 11 peep sighted rifles and the most modern of the bunch is a Rem721 .30-06.Built in 1950.

And the ones that have been drilled and tapped I will only put period scopes on them.

Gotta love the Classics...

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!
28 March 2012, 05:11
Barstooler
Looks to me like it could probably be made from a Lyman "tang" style peep sight -- welded to an 03 bolt knob.

Barstooler
28 March 2012, 05:21
tin can
quote:
Hell I buy them even if I dont have a rifle that they fit.

me too.
28 March 2012, 05:52
cal30 1906
quote:
Looks to me like it could probably be made from a Lyman "tang" style peep sight -- welded to an 03 bolt knob.

Barstooler

Barstooler you might be correct about that...

The only bolt peeps I have seen that Lyman built were actually dovetailed into the end of the bolt.
Good observation

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!
28 March 2012, 06:24
kda55
I bought it. That is actually a windgage adjustment. Is it original? Don't know and don't care
28 March 2012, 06:50
cal30 1906
kda55

Thanks for filling us in, Can you tell who made it?

Heck I was almost bidding against you. tu2

Cal30

28 March 2012, 08:19
kda55
Should have it in hand in a day or two and believe it to be 100% Lyman.
29 March 2012, 04:30
tin can
quote:
The only bolt peeps I have seen that Lyman built were actually dovetailed into the end of the bolt.
Good observation

I have one that has a "socket" instead of a dovetail, looks a bit like the one in the thread; set screws on it, I believe to hold it in place for soldering.
29 March 2012, 04:39
kda55
On this one the socket is dovetailed to the cocking head and the sight body is then dovetailed to it with a threaded gizmo that allows for windgage adjustment- no banging/hammering/hamfisted/roughnecking required.
30 March 2012, 08:57
cal30 1906
kda55

Canyou post better pics of how it was fitted than Ebay did?

Sounds like a 1 of a kind.

cal30

30 March 2012, 17:48
kda55
I received it today and it is really nice. I will get pictures this weekend and see if I can get them posted. Really looks to be more of a target sight than a hunting sight- I can fix that!
04 April 2012, 05:33
kda55
Photos of the Lyman sight:

04 April 2012, 07:17
Fal Grunt
Fine piece!

Quite a piece for the money too, I certainly would not make you one for that price.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.
04 April 2012, 08:39
cal30 1906
Very nice tu2

Cal30

05 April 2012, 04:34
tin can
pretty Smiler
05 April 2012, 08:05
cal30 1906
Kda55

Do you have a nice Springfield to put it on?

Having that sight Id spoil myself and buy me a nice Griffin&Howe in a .35 Whelen.

That windage part of the sight may even be G&H design.

All I can say is it is CLASSY.

What part of Wyoming do you call home?

Cal30

05 April 2012, 17:56
kda55
Based on the style of the number stamps I would say it is all Lyman factory workmanship. I bought this for a future project stalking type rifle; just aquiring parts as they come available. I am in the Casper area.
11 April 2012, 08:04
300H&H
Very cool sight! I saw one for an Enfield 1917 a while back on ebay that was made by Belding & Mull I believe...

There used to be a fellow forum member here that was making some nice bolt mounted peeps for a reasonable price, but unfortunately I had no rifle for it!

Anyways, yours ought to add a lot of class to an old springfield!
11 April 2012, 18:32
tin can
quote:
Originally posted by 300H&H:
Very cool sight! I saw one for an Enfield 1917 a while back on ebay that was made by Belding & Mull I believe...

There used to be a fellow forum member here that was making some nice bolt mounted peeps for a reasonable price, but unfortunately I had no rifle for it!

Anyways, yours ought to add a lot of class to an old springfield!

-that's Rusty Marlin, as far as I know he'd still be happy to sell you one.
15 April 2012, 02:50
cal30 1906
quote:
that's Rusty Marlin, as far as I know he'd still be happy to sell you one.

Do you have a link or anything to see his product?
Id love to see his work.

Cal30

15 April 2012, 03:27
tin can
http://forums.accuratereloadin...571002401#9571002401
15 April 2012, 07:04
cal30 1906
Tin can

Thank you I just dropped him a line.

Cal30 tu2

15 April 2012, 13:19
Von Gruff
I can highly recomend Rusty's sights. Beautifully made and very reasonably priced.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

20 April 2012, 01:40
Bill/Oregon
Wow that's a nice old Lyman!
I just e-mailed Rusty, too. A cocking piece sight would be awesome on a .318 W-R project ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author
20 April 2012, 23:41
SR4759
Bummer,
That is really nice. I have a Mannlicher that would work on.