The Accurate Reloading Forums
257 Wby Mark V replacement stock

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/4841034662

25 June 2021, 01:52
Roaming
257 Wby Mark V replacement stock
Bell and Carson tells me they do not make stocks to fit a #1 contour barrel. I like Bell and Carson stocks and have one on my 7mm Mag. Is there a comparable stock maker of synthetic stocks? In a pinch I would consider a laminated stock but prefer the looks, feel, bedding and of course price of the Carson. Thanks!
25 June 2021, 11:27
Cougarz
Is the barrel as issued from Weatherby? If so it should fit.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
26 June 2021, 04:41
Roaming
It is a factory barrel. Rifle was purchased in the 80's and made in Japan. What size stock would it fit? A #2? I was surprized when they e-mailed back saying they don't make a #1. I measured it from the crown if that makes a difference.
26 June 2021, 11:03
Cougarz
I would call and talk to them.

I have a .257 Wby deluxe but it's in a wood stock and yes Weatherby barrels are pretty skinny. I don't know know how their barrel size lines up with other manufacturers. That's why it best to talk with a live person.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
27 June 2021, 16:29
Roaming
Thanks, I will call them Monday. Mine is also a delux but I want a synthectic with a full lengh bedding block.
28 June 2021, 10:07
Cougarz
I have a B&C stock on a relatively new Winchester model 70 Sporter in .300 Win. It also has a pretty skinny barrel but the stock fits perfectly.

My as issued Weatherby Accumark .300 Wby came with one. B&C make nice stocks at a decent price, I like them a lot. I'm sure they will fix up.

Good luck. Smiler

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
29 June 2021, 07:04
Roaming
That is encouraging. I did not get to call B&C today but will try tomorrow as I have been super busy. However I am hearing from several individuals that they have been able aquire a B&C stock that wiil take the pencil barrels.
01 July 2021, 11:43
Cougarz
Since it is a deluxe it will undoubtably fit.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*
01 July 2021, 22:38
Buglemintoday
#1 contour barrel was on the Weatherby Mark V ULW or Ultralight

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"
02 July 2021, 18:16
chuck375
Have you looked at the McMillan Express stocks. I'm thinking of restocking my Japanese Mark V in 270 Weatherby with one.

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/weatherby-express/

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"
03 July 2021, 19:53
Roaming
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Have you looked at the McMillan Express stocks. I'm thinking of restocking my Japanese Mark V in 270 Weatherby with one.

https://mcmillanusa.com/stock/weatherby-express/

I have looked at the McMillan stocks but could not get very excited about them. I could not find where a full lengh aluminum block is included not to mention they nicle and dime you for every feature that I feel shoud be stock. I beleive I have a Mcmillain on my 220 swift and while it is a varmit rifle its big and clumsy. I will probably pass on the Micmillian but thank you for your input.

I have a Bell and Carson stock on a Sako. It was made by a rouge employee using Bell and Carson eqipment on the side (they fired him I learned). It is a very nice stock and I would like to duplicate it for my 257. No luck reaching weatherby or Bell and Carson by phone. They must be very busy. On weatherby it does appear that I have a japanese Mark V with a #2 Contour barrel. This should work for the Bell and Carson stock and I will order as soon as I get confirmation from Weatherby. I sent a text. Next to get the right scope. Really appreaciate all the feedback.
08 July 2021, 14:57
Roaming
Just received a response from Weatherby. My rifle was manufactured in 1984 and is a deluxe. It has a number #1 barrel with 1-10 twist. Made in Japan.

Called Bell and Carson and got through. They will custom make a stock for a #1 Wby barrel. Currently waiting on a follow up e-mail. In fact the guy said that someone else the previous day and just orded a stock for a Japanese made Wby with a number one contontoue barrel. Progess made.