The Accurate Reloading Forums
480 Cast bullets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2911043/m/9871003812

11 February 2016, 08:50
Carolina Man
480 Cast bullets
I recently bought myself a new Christmas toy. A new Ruger SRH 480 Ruger. I need to buy some hard cast bullets for reloading. Anybody recommend where to buy a good bullet for general all around use? Somewhere around 400 gr. bullet. I am set up for casting bullets but not for sizing. My casting is for black powder rifles only using a pan lub.

Thanks
George

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
11 February 2016, 09:26
LeonardC
The Wife bought me a 480 SRH. I bought the mold, sizer die, and TP (all RCBS)from Midsouth. I didn't find much around here for cast bullets in 400 grain. Premade cast bullets of slightly over 300+ seemed very expensive.
11 February 2016, 15:46
p dog shooter
I would buy a lee mold push through sizer and some alox lube.

and go to town.
11 February 2016, 17:33
Carolina Man
I would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets.

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
11 February 2016, 19:04
.366torque
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:
I would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets.

Cast performance
12 February 2016, 01:07
WV Hitman
I use Cast Performance casts. Good quality, shoot well.

Larry Rogers
12 February 2016, 22:27
p dog shooter
quote:
would but I did not find a sizing die in the size I need. It appears that they don't make one. Can custom order but 6 wks lead time. In the mean time I still needs some bullets

I would buy the nest size smaller polish it out to the proper size I have done it with a couple of there push through sizers
15 February 2016, 18:45
MS Hitman
Cast Performance, Hunter Supply (on Midway's site). Bryan Reece 765-541-8584, Montana Bullet Works, look them up on the web.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.
15 February 2016, 22:26
Carolina Man
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any recent experience with Montana Bullet Works?

With their 480 or 45 Colt bullets. They have several that I might be wanting to try .

Thanks
George

16 February 2016, 02:37
MS Hitman
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any recent experience with Montana Bullet Works?

With their 480 or 45 Colt bullets. They have several that I might be wanting to try .

Thanks
George

Not recently, although I need to some more 200 grain bullets for my .38-40. I'll try to remember to post when I get them and let you know.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.
07 March 2016, 06:05
Ske1eter
I, too, am considering Montana Bullet Works for some hardcast GC for my Ruger .480. I'm planning a cape buffalo hunt in RSA next year. Good to see that the company got purchased and are continuing production.

Beartooth is also on my list.
09 March 2016, 21:06
ss30378
If you want some plinking bullets here's an option.

http://missouribullet.com/resu...egory=5&secondary=38
10 March 2016, 06:12
John Galt
Also check out Leadhead Bullets. Not the most glamorous website but his bullets are great and I shot this group with my Ruger Super Blackhawk in .480 with his 420 grain bullet:

This was at 25 yards and was the first session with my new gun. Ignore the flyer as a guy sitting at the bench next to me touched off a 12 gauge at the INDOOR range and caused me to flinch!
12 March 2016, 18:51
Bill/Oregon
John, what load or velocity were you getting when you shot that fine target?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author