The Accurate Reloading Forums
257 Roberts and Nosler E-Tip

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/2861054062

05 July 2020, 11:56
Scrumbag
257 Roberts and Nosler E-Tip
Hi folks,

Anyone got any pointers on reloading the 257 Roberts with a the 100gr Nosler E-Tip?

Thinking possibly with Ramshot hunter but all help gratefully received.

Scrummy
05 July 2020, 21:25
Stonecreek
Are you hunting in a jurisdiction where lead bullets are prohibited? There are a number of disadvantages to monometal bullets that makes them less desirable if conventional bullets can otherwise be used.
05 July 2020, 21:50
Scrumbag
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Are you hunting in a jurisdiction where lead bullets are prohibited? There are a number of disadvantages to monometal bullets that makes them less desirable if conventional bullets can otherwise be used.

Hi Stonecreek,

You make a very good point. Where I am it is not yet mandatory but it looks a real possibility. Also we can sell our venison through game dealers and they are showing a preference for non-lead bullets driven by the restaurants and hotels they sell to.

So my answer is, I'm trying to be a bit ahead of the curve.

I do like my lead bullets. Particularly partial to the Sierra 117gr Gameking Soft Point Boat Tail myself though had good luck with 120gr Partitions and Speer SPBTs as well.

Scrummy
07 July 2020, 22:26
Ireload3
The bullet you use does not have to be special for ordinary deer.
My 25-06 was tested with H4831 and IMR4350 many years ago. I found best accuracy with the Sierra 100 grn flat base bullet.
I use a medium load of IMR4350 that I found in 3 manuals plus the NRA. It is a mild load so the cases last a long time.

The Sierra bullet is pretty tough and always gives complete penetration on side shots.
I load my ammo with the bullet seated about .020 off the lands.
Your rifle will use a few grains less and will still deliver 95% of the velocity I get.
Both shoot flatter than a 100 grn bullet in a factory load for a 100 grn 243.