The Accurate Reloading Forums
Moly coating for higher velocity

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2121043/m/100104721

05 April 2004, 17:14
N. S. Sherlock
Moly coating for higher velocity
I've gotten 18% higher velocity with molycoated cats in my 4" spud gun than with plain cats, particularly when I use Gemco Starting Fluid as the propellant vice White Rain. ned
05 April 2004, 18:06
claybuster
Ned,aerosol propellants only give 10-12 psi on a good day,,,,rig up a good "shop air" gun and watch them really fly,,,Did anyone else see myth busters shooting the chickens?,,Clay
09 April 2004, 15:07
N. S. Sherlock
Clay, Shot a magnum once, didn't like it. Will stick with the old standards.
09 April 2004, 16:55
claybuster
Ned,,,Have fun!!Are you using the spray on moly? Clay
10 April 2004, 02:39
N. S. Sherlock
Clay: I use techniques adopted from loading my old 6- pounder Ames. Use a double thick sheathing board wad over the propellant chamber. Slather that cat up well with homemade moly lube on a long handled paintbrush. Grab it out of the trap with blacksmith tongs and carefully slide it down the bore with a well greased sponge rammer. Use a single layer lubed over/cat wad seated with a moderate whack. The longest shot at this time has been 438 yards. My problem has been accuracy so far. Only hit the barn 3 of 5 tries. ned
10 April 2004, 09:47
claybuster
Practice makes perfect! Clay
10 April 2004, 14:10
Oldbob
Do they land on their feet??
10 April 2004, 15:50
DigitalDan
Dunno Bob, but they will land. Ned, you have fertilized my neurons BTW. What charge you using?

By the way, I'm back in Cyberspace, got some stories to tell, you'll see them soon.

Dan

Pres., TYGC

www.BungeeCanons.com
10 April 2004, 16:25
N. S. Sherlock
Bob. I'm not sure about the feet part, I can't see the details at that distance. I do hear a real healthy splat! though. BTW, they never stick to the barn siding, prolly because of the molly. Dan, my normal charge for sort of a medium cat is a 4 second toot of Gemco starting fluid. Remote piezo ignition of course. The bore is burnishing well due to molly and the tight wads. No signs of fouling yet. I have this image of Albert and Lil' Bob being conditioned by the two minute warning buzzer to look skyward over your backyard pond, jaws agape waiting longingly for the latest lunch launch leward lob of large lions. ned