The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: just got Midway 7.62 russian

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/9161073

11 September 2004, 11:58
Jumptrap
Re: just got Midway 7.62 russian
I have considered buying some of the Graf brass...does the quality appear good? And what is Midway getting for theirs? I'd like to have about 500 pieces of virgin brass...last me from now on.
30 August 2004, 16:57
Orygun Mark
May not be shot out. May just have an oversize bore like one of mine does. .315 and I have to use .316 or larger bullets or they all hit the target in a side profile. Even the jacketed ones. It's a 1943 Izzy that looks like it was made with dull chattering tooling.
12 September 2004, 10:14
Ricochet
Just run out and get some lead sinkers a little bigger than your bore and either a dowel or (my preference) a piece of 1/4" plated steel rod longer than your barrel and receiver combined. File the edges of the rod smooth and tape it so it won't scratch anything. Grease the sinker and drop it into the bore throat from the breech end, and drive it through with the rod and a mallet. Piece of cake.

My M91/30 has a .312" groove diameter. So does my Romanian SKS.
11 September 2004, 19:48
12FLVSS
Orygun might just be onto something there. My loading charts all called out for 308 bullets and I had some on hand so that's what I loaded. I have some jacketed 311s and 312s enroute from Midway to give it another go. I was going to get a 30 cal "Slug your barrel" kit but they were out of stock. My only concern now is if my rifle is tight necked and not like the fatties I ordered. I read in one of my books that some mil-surps are like that.

The graf brass seems to be of decent quality. I'm not a BR shooter tho so I haven't weighed them for consistancy or anything like that, but cosmetically they look fine.

Ian
09 September 2004, 14:43
DE Hillyer
Hi All! I would like to have a NEW M38. New bore for sure! Such a handy rifle. Too bad they aren't in 7.62x39!I have one now that looks new except for a counter bored muzzle. Such is my luck. It still might shoot. Dale