The Accurate Reloading Forums
Price of Lead

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/8071070291

30 August 2013, 21:32
model7LSS
Price of Lead
Found a guy advertising 20lbs of WW lead that has been poured into 1 pound ingots for $40 free shipping.Deal?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17
30 August 2013, 22:24
Idaho Sharpshooter
good deal for him, not so good for you.

try www.castbullets.com and check the classifieds. Going rate seems to be about a buck a pound there.

Rich
30 August 2013, 22:54
model7LSS
Yea, the more I got to thinking about it the worse it sounded.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17
31 August 2013, 06:58
Idaho Sharpshooter
PM me when you get a minute...
31 August 2013, 07:00
Woodhits
Rotometals is having a sale this weekend, $20 off when you spend $150 plues free shipping. They have a variety of alloys and at least you know what you're buying.
31 August 2013, 21:41
Idaho Sharpshooter
I am lucky. A nearby shop swages bullets. I get the "weeps" for spot lead price. Pencil thin 1" long strands that are extruded out the end of the forming die. 97% lead, 3% antimony.
23 October 2013, 10:51
NormanConquest
It does help when one knows the products origin. Can save a consumer money. Here's a couple of examples. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is the composite of nail polish remover. A few bucks by the gallon but a fortune by the ounces In my business I buy my chemicals by the carboy..A well know name that deals in leather products has their own brand of glue. It is formica cement,same story.A pittance for a pint,a fortune for a gallon.Great profit for the corp. at the exspense of the American public.O.K. off my soap box now.It is still true though.

Never mistake motion for action.
15 February 2014, 00:35
webfeet
@Idaho Sharpshooter

I sent you a PM.
18 February 2014, 05:31
SR4759
I think you are confused.
You forget the cost of packaging and shipping.

Beer is a good example. The aluminum can costs more than the beer. Essentially beer companies are companies that produce cans at the lowest price.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
It does help when one knows the products origin. Can save a consumer money. Here's a couple of examples. Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) is the composite of nail polish remover. A few bucks by the gallon but a fortune by the ounces In my business I buy my chemicals by the carboy..A well know name that deals in leather products has their own brand of glue. It is formica cement,same story.A pittance for a pint,a fortune for a gallon.Great profit for the corp. at the exspense of the American public.O.K. off my soap box now.It is still true though.

18 February 2014, 18:05
metalbeater
Rotometals is the place to go. Your P.O. carrier will hate them as they use Priority Mail flat rate boxes.
25 February 2014, 09:57
craigster
quote:
Originally posted by metalbeater:
Rotometals is the place to go. Your P.O. carrier will hate them as they use Priority Mail flat rate boxes.

metalbeater=Larry Root, troll of the 1st magnitude, busted again. Give it up, Larry, give it up, it ain't workin' for you anymore.
04 March 2014, 19:43
358156hp
You can often find range scrap or even clip on WW metal already cleaned and cast into ingots for around a buck a pound shipped, if you order enough. Medium flat rate boxes are only around $12.35 or so, and most guys eat that cost if you buy enough metal.
19 April 2014, 00:36
3584ELK
If you don't live on the left coast, you can find a few tire shops that will save wheel weights for you...it only takes some asking and driving.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.