The Accurate Reloading Forums
Melting pot maintenance

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/605109641

01 August 2004, 16:31
RobinB
Melting pot maintenance
The element in my Lyman melting pot resently rusted through and shorted out. I don't use it often, maybe once every 2 months. I've had it for about 4 years, that means I've used it about 20 - 30 times to cast 2000 - 3000 bullets. Is there some sort of care or maintenance that should be performed on the elements to make them last a bit longer. Is there some other option that I should look at before I buy another one.

Thanks
Robin
01 August 2004, 17:07
jh45gun
Maybe it was faulty not knocking lyman products but have you considered Lee production pots? I know guys who have had them for years and they are still going strong. A good buy for under 50 bucks also! I have one and I like it a lot. Works great!
02 August 2004, 01:19
trk
Sounds like a bad element. Made the same as on a stove - should last a LOOOONG time.

I'd write Lyman.
02 August 2004, 01:31
p dog shooter
I have had a lee pot for 20 plus years now the only thing I have done is turn it on. It has went from being used weekly to seating around for more then a year. Has always worked when needed.
03 August 2004, 10:31
bfrshooter
Robin, that is strange. My Lyman was made in 1961 and is still going strong. I have had to clean the contacts several times and adjust the thermostat. I bought a Lee 20# pot and like it a lot. I have three pots, two Lee's and the Lyman. I need a fourth and will buy another Lee. I use wheel weghts, pure lead, hard lead and 1 to 20 mix. Much easier to have a pot for each.
I have to wonder if you have stored it in a very damp place.
05 August 2004, 17:19
Geo.
Typically these pots build up rust on the inside and then must overheat to do normal melting. (rust is an insulator) When you keep a pot like that for long periods, clean out the rust before use.