New
Find
Notify
Tools

lee alox
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just received a bottle from Midway, it is more like a "gel" consistency than a liquid. is this old?

Buddy Roberts

Posts: 176 | Location: Bedford, Texas | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It helps if you stand it in a pan of warm water !

Hip

Posts: 546 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated just heat it a bit..

Posts: 16918 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
then dump some mineral spirits in.

I have bought alox from other than lee and it comes in a thick dark brown gloppy paste form.

I consider that good cause I can cut it down and use the proper amount rather than glop it everywhere and have a mess.

Posts: 3961 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF you try to warm it up in a
microwave. Make sure you open the
spout.

It would sure make one hell of a mess
if the bottle blows up. I do it in one,
but, only heat it 15-20 seconds at a time.
Take it out nd feel how warm it is. When
about as hot as I can hold in a bare hand
that's just right.

Damned good stuff. I coat a bunch of bullets
with it, then let them lay on cardboard for
a few days to dry enough they don't grow
into clusters in the bucket.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV, RMEF

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5125 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
When I heat it in the microwave, I put the bottle in a cup half full of water. And the cap spout is open.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1500 | Location: Bozangeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the tips guys I'll try it

Buddy Roberts

Posts: 176 | Location: Bedford, Texas | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Oh yes indeed! I can just see it now with it exploding in the microwave. Go out + buy a new one before the wife gets home, + let her know that you were buying her a gift of a new one. Better add some flowers to make it believable. Big Grin

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 14613 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sorry, that little bit of levity was due to a remenberence of a fellow shade tree gunsmith who set up an ad hoc bluing operation in his kitchen when his wife was gone. After several failed attempts, he gave up + poured the salt solution down the kitchen sink drain. WRONG MOVE!!! It immediately ate through the pipes + everything after that it came in contact with. Talk about a mess! Its kinda funny now in a way, but then again, not at all.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 14613 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Oh yes indeed! I can just see it now with it exploding in the microwave. Go out + buy a new one before the wife gets home, + let her know that you were buying her a gift of a new one. Better add some flowers to make it believable. Big Grin

Being married to the same women for 40+ years.

There has been a couple of times that needed that solution. dancing

Posts: 16918 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote