The Accurate Reloading Forums
Cotton Patch Hog

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1621043/m/7961090862

26 October 2021, 01:11
Stonecreek
Cotton Patch Hog
I went up to the Texas Rolling plains where I'll hunt deer in a few weeks to service the blinds and feeders and make sure everything will be ready. I took along my half-century old Sako .264 in case one of the many hogs in the area decided to show himself while I sat in a blind scouting next month's deer.

The blind is at the intersection of hundreds of acres of mesquite brush, a wheat field, and a 150 acre cotton patch. Just before sundown as I was watching two young bucks spar with one another, I spotted a large hog about a half-mile away across the cotton field. It started to walk slowly toward the brush, angling more or less toward me. When it was at what I judged to be the closest its path was going to bring it to me, between 250 and 300 yards, I put the crosshairs just in front of its ambling snout and about backbone high. After I shot it seemed an eternity until a huge "WHOP" came drifting back to me along with a hog's squeal -- and the hog disappeared among the cotton rows.

I got down from the blind and stepped 250 yards in its direction. Nothing. Stepped another 50 yards and still nothing. Then I caught a glimpse of it between two rows of cotton several more yards ahead. When I got to it and saw its size I realized why I had underestimated its distance. I lasered the distance back to the blind at 335 yards.

I don't know where the 140 grain Nosler Partition hit it because I wasn't about to try to roll that big bruiser over to look, but it obviously did the jobs since the porker was DRT.

Here's the Sako lying atop its victim:

26 October 2021, 02:04
crshelton
Nice rifle and good shooting.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/
26 October 2021, 04:16
Bobby Tomek
Congrats on a nice boar and some fine shooting as well!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

26 October 2021, 05:51
packrattusnongratus
Good pig fine shooting and fine rifle. Be Well, Packy.
27 October 2021, 10:35
georgeld
Good shot.

Can't beat those Sako's.

I have a 7mmag, believe it's my most
beautiful rifle.

Thanks for sharing.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight
27 October 2021, 14:34
Charlie64

Nice rifle, pig and story! Thanks for posting.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"
31 October 2021, 09:22
custombolt
Stonecreek - What a great day. Bucks sparring, nice boar, great shooting.
Did you indulge in some loin medallions for dinner?
Get dem hogs.
custombolt

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.
01 December 2021, 22:39
Stonecreek

Same cotton patch as the first one (but after harvest this time). This one also came from across the field, this time toward the feeder I was watching, which was at 175 yards. It disappeared behind a sand berm and I thought it was gone, but soon appeared atop the berm at about 260 yards. I was afraid it would move out of sight again, so took the shot. The boar squealed and wheeled, running pall mall back from where it came from. I threw a shot after it which kicked up dust behind it. Jacking another one in I held a bit higher and further in front of him and sent a Hail Mary on the way. WHACK! I was gratified to see the piggy skid to a stop. When I got to him and laser ranged back to the blind I was in it was exactly 400 yards. Truly a Hail Mary and more luck than skill.

Used another of my Sakos, a .280 Remington loaded with obsolete Nosler Solid Base lead tipped 150's at just over 3,000 fps.
02 December 2021, 06:54
Bobby Tomek
That's another good piggie from the cotton patch...congrats. Those old-style, long-discontinued solid base bullets are among some of the best medium-game bullets ever devised.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri