The Accurate Reloading Forums
9.3X74 on Lord Derby Eland

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/2731038072

24 May 2022, 20:14
RAC
9.3X74 on Lord Derby Eland
What's the consensus on using a 9.3X74 on Lord Derby Eland, Savannah buffalo, and Roan? I've killed a common eland with a Ruger No1 and a couple of buffalo with a Chapuis, both in 9.3X74. My outfitter recommends 375H&H. I have a CZ 550. I just don't like carrying it. What say you?

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS
24 May 2022, 21:32
crbutler
I used a .375, but can’t see why a 9.3 won’t work.

Body wise, the LDE isn’t really that much different than other eland.

Sometimes the shots can be a bit longer in Cameroon.

My only caveat would be if the law insists for the animals if the 9.3x74 doesn’t meet minimums (I think it does… but it’s been a while).
24 May 2022, 21:37
A.Dahlgren
A 9,3x74 will kill any animal with right shot placement.

Click for some photos on Instagram

www.bwana.be
24 May 2022, 23:14
Caracal
I have guided people on lord derby eland with 9.3x62, 338 Win mag, 375HH. No problems whatsoever with these calibers.

Just make sure you have a proper bullet that has enough penetration.

Cheers,
Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris
26 May 2022, 18:14
Safari-Hunt
Eland, don't read books how will they know if he was shot with a 9.3 or 375 in the end they are so similar.

Good bullet, shot placemnet and pratcise more important.

Frederik Cocquyt
I always try to use enough gun but then sometimes a brainshot works just as good.
29 May 2022, 04:43
Atkinson
Ive seen some tough old eland that took a lot of bullets to get them down in various calibers, have one of those on film that took a bunch of 375 in well placed parts and a 3 inch branch that he ran into and two feet of that stuck in his chest. Most just die pretty quick, You can expect this on any animal large or small, its not a perfect world! I have used he 93x62 enough to beieve its Eland capable..Also the 9.3x62 and 74 have caused many an elephant to bend a knee..Ive never seen any difference in the 9.3x64, 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 338 Win. or the 9.3x74. a lot of my clients hunted buffalo as did the ladies and teenagers with the less expensive doubles in 9.3x74..Id say have at it, just shoot stright. Also I recovered a 100 gr. Rem corelokt perfectly espanded in an Elands chest from a 243 win. I still have that bullets, shit happens...if you hunt enough..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com
29 May 2022, 17:35
dogcat
I have shot about a dozen including 2 LDE's.
I used a .300 WM on most and a .375 HH on a couple, a and .416 Rigby on one.
All died.
Eland seem to go down easier than buffalo, provided you hit a the shoulder or lungs/heart.

Shot placement is the key - also, the target area is large, so take your time, place your shot, use a good bullet (never a Berger) and you are good to go.
29 May 2022, 19:38
Saeed
I have shot hundreds of African animals, including eland, with various 270 caliber rifles.

As mentioned above, shot placement and right bullets are all you need,

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
29 May 2022, 20:06
Navaluk
The issue is the range of your rifle set up. If your solid under hunting conditions out to 300 yards then you are ok. As mentioned, LDE and Roan opportunities can be longer range.
29 May 2022, 21:19
Saeed
One of the eland I shot with a 270/404 Short was about 500 yards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000
30 May 2022, 05:59
Michael Robinson
I would want and have used a scoped bolt action for eland. That would be especially true for LDE, as they are not going to be encountered on your usual safari. I am planning to use one next year in Cameroon.

I just wouldn't want to have to pass on a longer range shot if one were offered. I will also be hunting savanna buffalo.

So, the old faithful .375 H&H Mag., or even one or another .416, will be my first choices, I think.

I have only killed one eland, BTW. One shot through the heart with my .375 and that was that.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
08 June 2022, 03:21
Longwalker
RAC, I think your choice is a good one. Have fun and shoot straight.
08 June 2022, 06:32
DLS
RAC, an eland or buffalo will never know the difference in cartridge. Shoot ‘em where you should and they’ll die promptly.

I’ll be hunting LDE in 2024, I plan on using a .338 win mag for everything.
08 June 2022, 20:39
Steve Ahrenberg
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I would want and have used a scoped bolt action for eland. That would be especially true for LDE, as they are not going to be encountered on your usual safari. I am planning to use one next year in Cameroon.

I just wouldn't want to have to pass on a longer range shot if one were offered. I will also be hunting savanna buffalo.

So, the old faithful .375 H&H Mag., or even one or another .416, will be my first choices, I think.

I have only killed one eland, BTW. One shot through the heart with my .375 and that was that.

I did LDE, Bongo, Savanah Buffalo etc. in 2012 with Mike Fell in CAR. I decided to only bring my .375.

I shot my LDE at 150-175 yards, second shot, not required.

As to the Buffalo - I chose .260 grain Accubond. I did so, fully understanding I would be using them for Buffalo as well. The rifle likes them so much, I had high confidence.

Both my Buffalo died in the immediate area I shot them in. No drama. I attribute that to the scoped rifle and making precision shots.

The Bongo OTOH....No a great shot, pretty far back from a Machan. Wound up literally crawling through the Jungle on our hands and knees in the dark, following blood. Found him dead.

Formerly "Nganga"