The Accurate Reloading Forums
AR15 Butt Stock

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/132105729/m/6051044451

23 April 2011, 04:09
LJS
AR15 Butt Stock
I bought a Ruger 556 from a friend who wanted something else more. It is the model that has the non collapsible butt stock for sale in restricted states. I want to put a collapsible stock on it and am looking for recommendations on what to buy. I have no experience with AR rifle stocks so I'm in the dark. Any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.
23 April 2011, 19:54
BISCUT
Magpul has some excellent options and Vltor has many as well. LMT SOPMOD is good, but overprices IMHO.

Then again, it seems just about all the good stocks are overpriced.

If battle rifle, I really like the Magpul ACR. Very light, feel good, looks good, plane ol works.
23 April 2011, 19:57
BISCUT
My bad! CTR not ACR killpc
23 April 2011, 21:36
Antelope Sniper
quote:
Then again, it seems just about all the good stocks are overpriced

That's been my delimma. I'd like to upgrade mine, but there is no way I'm going to spend $250.00 on a buttstock.

What would you say is the best midprice alternatives? What works, but won't break the bank?
24 April 2011, 07:58
BISCUT
CTR is like $69 but its really a battle rifle stock.

Vltor has some good collapsable stock that are conducive to accurate shooting off a bench and can do well for a combat rifle. I have one on a 6.8 and its good.
24 April 2011, 20:54
LJS
I like the CTR but now I don't know if I need some parts to use it since my gun has a non collapsible stock now. I'm going to call Magpul tomorrow to see what I need. I don't know if I need a buffer tube, spring etc. Hell, I don't know what they are let alone if I have them! Thanks for your help.
24 April 2011, 23:54
jimatcat
ive got the factory pull-off from a smith/wesson m15, not using it, its' buffer tube, spring, everything... i dont need it, i pull standard furniture on mine, want it???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis
25 April 2011, 05:04
LJS
I'm interested in the S&W stuff. Please let me know what you want for it.
25 April 2011, 08:41
RyanB
VLTOR A5, unquestionably.
25 April 2011, 21:28
jstevens
You'll need a buffer, buffer tube, spring, and a Magpul MOE stock is cheaper if you don't need a sling mount or lock. I think you can buy the whole thing as a kit for about $100-$110.

A shot not taken is always a miss
27 April 2011, 08:04
sputster
Aren't the ACRs under a recall?

sputster
27 April 2011, 20:10
loboga
I have the Magpul ACS and am quite happy with it, it does weigh more than some of the other options, which helps balance out my barrel heavy ar and it has storage for batteries and misc.. It also has the double lock, so no rattles. A careful shopper can find it and tube, spring, buffer for about $130. Remember many of these stocks come in two sizes, commercial and milspec, so you need to use the coresponding buffer tube.
27 April 2011, 22:34
LJS
Sportster: No recalls according to Ruger for this item. Recalls on a couple pistols and an old one on the 77 triggers.
05 May 2011, 12:28
Idaho Sharpshooter
sputster,

the Bushmaster ACR rifles are under recall, iirc.

Rich