The Accurate Reloading Forums
Rifle hunter draws New Mexico Elk Bow Tag

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/82810119

11 July 2003, 11:04
tarbe
Rifle hunter draws New Mexico Elk Bow Tag
And he needs to brush up the bow skills quick!

Got my third choice, Unit 16C. Anybody at all familiar?? I have topos ordered but would love to get some on the ground intelligence.

I've been reading up on the latest in broadhead technology (been 15 years since I bowhunted). I'm not at all sure I should deviate from the tried and true cut-on-contact types for elk. What do you guys think about the latest mechanicals with the cutting blades up front?

Any advice is appreciated. On my way now to get a dozen arrows cut. Gotta start shooting...

Tim
14 July 2003, 15:48
Ken Cline
I wouldn't trust mechanicals on elk. I don't even use them any more for deer. Check out the Montec and B52 broadheads from G5 outdoors. I think the site is www.g5outdoors.com
15 July 2003, 09:29
Fordfreak
Tarbe,

I agree with Ken on the mechanical broad-head issue. Mechanicals will not penetrate as well as a fixed blade head, especially on elk sized game. I do use mechanical heads for deer hunting here in Michigan, but would quickly switch if I were going elk hunting.
Whatever you choose , make sure you sight your bow in with the heads before you go hunting with them. Broad heads generally fly different than equally matched target points.
Good luck in New Mexico!!!

Fordfreak